PDA

View Full Version : Linear CS save option discrepancy

Maxx
09-17-2011, 07:32 AM
Just ran a couple tests here in 10.1 - with the save format option set to "Linear" on the F9 render display window, using the Save option will save the image in sRGB format. However, using F10 with the Output option (on the CS tab of options) set to "Linear", 10.1 does indeed save linear images. Anyone else see this?

Cageman
09-17-2011, 08:30 AM
You have to change the Image Viewer to save in Linear.

EDIT: *doh* I can't read can I? *lol*

But no, I havn't noticed the behaviour you describe.

Maxx
09-17-2011, 09:47 PM
You have to change the Image Viewer to save in Linear.

EDIT: *doh* I can't read can I? *lol*

But no, I havn't noticed the behaviour you describe.

Thank you for checking on it - I should have mentioned in the original post that I'm using Photoshop CS3. Maybe it's a PS issue? What are you using?

Maxx
09-20-2011, 11:12 AM
More testing is revealing what probably amounts to my lack of understanding of tone mapping and HDRI in general. If I save a render from the Render Display window in either .exr of .hdr format with Linear selected as the save format, PS opens them in sRGB colorspace. However, saving a 32-bit .psd from the Render Display window saves correctly in Linear color space.

The first attached image is an un-retouched render saved in .hdr format, linear color space option from the Render Display window, while the second in an un-retouched render saved in .psd 32-bit format, linear color space option from the Render Display window.

I'm probably wrong here, but saving to 32-bit .psd clips the extra HDR data, no? So I need to save in HDR-format in order to make the kitchen visible while not blowing out the living room itself, right? 'Cause when I play with exposure and contrast, the image gets terribly grainy, and when I've finally gotten the living room to look right, the kitchen is an inky mess in the background.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not beyond believing that the issues lie in my crappy lighting skills, but I'm just not seeing the results that I apparently should see, if the tone-mapping tutorials and articles I've read and tried to follow should be believed.

MSherak
09-20-2011, 11:47 AM
do an image/adjustment/exposure with a gamma 2.2 in PS on the 2nd image and see if it matches the first.. bet it will.. Might be missing some color hence the difference between hdri and 8888psd(24c8a).. they are different beasts since the bit depth is different.. so yes if you want all the color possible you want to save it in HDR format.. You can still have linear color in a 8888 format.. the range is just smaller.. all of this is depends on what you really want to see as the final image since your eyes can't see the whole spectrum.

Cageman
09-20-2011, 10:14 PM
Thank you for checking on it - I should have mentioned in the original post that I'm using Photoshop CS3. Maybe it's a PS issue? What are you using?

Nuke, and from what I've found, saving an image from Image Viewer in Linear, is saved in Linear.

Photogram
09-29-2011, 04:47 PM
I read that the new linear color space can now read CMYK data.

I tried sending tiff and psd or jpg file in cmyk and nothing work...

Can somebody can explain what is that new feature?

thx