PDA

View Full Version : dynamic thruster acceleration help please?

devanmedrow
09-17-2011, 12:07 AM
sorry if this has been posted be for. I haven't found anything like this out there on this form or others.
I'm trying to setup a space scean where the space ships use real thrust to move around.
:help:
You set a null with a value of tonnage.
then other ones with envelopes for (wind/thrust/force) in that direction XYZ.
then the dynamic eng runs haw the ship moves and rotates.
is this something the lightwave dynamic eng can do, or is it out side of a beginners level to do.
:help:
please help

thank you for your time.

ridasaleeb2
09-26-2011, 07:26 AM
The real question here is, "How do you measure your thruster changing power. You can set up parented emitter to blow particles back of thruster. Then use some expression to drive spaceship forward in opposite direction as a factor thereof, related to speed of particles.
Rotational dynamics: using two thrusters: left would cause rotation heading to the +'ve right, while right thruster cause heading to the -'ve left.
But you forgot he big one: "momentum"- inertia. This is real physics. Unfortunately, polys have no real mass- Tonnage is an arbitrary value you choose as a "delay" effect (Time + 1.5)
You have to study LScript animation- all of it. I'm trying to locate the docs, tuts, myself - ??? The manuals just glimses over with some (good)examples.

devanmedrow
10-03-2011, 08:55 PM
Thank you for your post.

The real question here is, "How do you measure your thruster changing power. You can set up parented emitter to blow particles back of thruster. Then use some expression to drive spaceship forward in opposite direction as a factor thereof, related to speed of particles.
Right now I'm not wored about the visible thrust. I'm just looking for the motions. the visible can be added latter.

Rotational dynamics: using two thrusters: left would cause rotation heading to the +'ve right, while right thruster cause heading to the -'ve left.
Yes this is just what I'm looking for. You have a ship with maneuvering jets on the bow, aft, port, and starboard. The bow jets fire port, the aft jets fire starboard, and you spine to the starboard.

But you forgot he big one: "momentum"- inertia. This is real physics. Unfortunately, polys have no real mass- Tonnage is an arbitrary value you choose as a "delay" effect (Time + 1.5) No I do remember real physics. In space you don't stop, you don't slow down. If there is a gravity well {a plaint, star, moon} you will slowly change your speed toward that well. The tonnage would be a value you input in to the plugin for the physics to use. The thruster force another input. the inputs go to the physics calculator and spit out where and how the obj should move to.

You have to study LScript animation- all of it. I'm trying to locate the docs, tuts, myself - ??? The manuals just glimses over with some (good)examples.
You are very right about looking over the docs, and tuts. The few I have found have helped a little. I'm just pulling hair out trying to find, and understand more about LScrips. Also I need some forum of physics calculator witch is most defiantly out of my league of math. Also if you find any doc, tuts could you please send a copy my way, please!

In general I need some one I can bounce Ideas off of and send bits of code when I'm stuck in the mud. Someone that can say "well dumb dumb, you put the verable in the wrong place"

Thank you for your time.

Sculley
08-03-2012, 08:07 PM
It could be done in LScript, but unless it has to be accurate by controlling it by engine powers, I would animate it and script the thrusters etc to accuratly fire when speeding up or slowing down forces are required etc.