PDA

View Full Version : CD/DVD surface problems

Nangleator
09-16-2011, 02:46 PM
I need to do this soon, and I've seen tutorials before, but I struck out on my own to do this.

Getting the right UV map seems to be the key. I set up a UV on a cross section of this disk, then lathed it out, letting the UV map follow the curve. All seemed good.

In Layout, I set up reflection, but I have what looks like smoothing errors. Each facet you see is a poly. (The object is subpatched pretty high.)

Smoothing is turned on. No co-planar polys. (I merged and unified and double checked. No polys on top of other polys.)

Is this a problem caused by my HDR reflection map?

Nangleator
09-19-2011, 08:31 AM
...and here's the same object with a different reflection map, and frozen into quads. Much worse, actually.

Is this a subpatch problem? A UV problem? Smoothing is turned on. Tried it at 89 and 44. Tried it without smoothing. Same bad look. It's like each polygon can only be one solid color.

zapper1998
09-19-2011, 10:04 AM
There is a video in the video learning section that covers that CD..

William V. did it i believe..

daforum
09-20-2011, 04:11 AM
There used to be a link somewhere to the LW 9.0 videos and it was on there.

Can't find it, and I've tried old links but they all default to the new Newtek homepage??!!

daforum
09-20-2011, 04:35 AM
Here you go: ftp://ftp.newtek.com/pub/LightWave/LW9/AniShader.mov

Hope it's what you need.

Nangleator
09-20-2011, 06:38 AM
Thanks! I'll look into it.

daforum
09-22-2011, 12:13 PM
Cool. Can you post an image when your done?

Nangleator
09-22-2011, 12:35 PM
I gave up on using a UV map, and ended up with cloning a single disc that was modeled on the origin. The AniReflections node used Y axis and "Linear."

It's a bit dark and duotone, because it's a background for a trade show graphic. This is one quarter size.

They are supposed to be blank silicon wafers. I'm not sure if those have the same diffraction pattern as CDs and DVDs, but it looks cool.

lardbros
09-27-2011, 04:15 AM
Did you ever solve the smoothing errors? I was getting these with a triangulated mesh, not a sub-patch, but still think it shouldn't happen at all...

Just wondering if your UV's were subpatch UVs as well as the subpatch object? Maybe the UVs determine the type of smoothing or something? :D

Nangleator
09-27-2011, 04:24 AM
Hah, never got rid of the smoothing errors while I was using aniReflections + the UV map. Tried all sorts of smoothing angles and UV interpolations. My mesh was a subpatch, but I tried freezing it. No difference there.

Just something to keep in mind, I guess.