PDA

View Full Version : Animeeple Question

Richard Hebert
09-15-2011, 07:03 PM
Hi Everyone,

Just downloaded Animeeple to help with MoCap issues. The software needs the mesh and skeleton to face positive Z with the left side of the character facing positive X. This doesn't seem to be the case with LightWave. When an FBX file is exported from LW and imported into Animeeple I get a warning that the left side of my content must face positive X. Simply rotating the character (and skeleton) in LW and exporting again does not resolve the positive X issue. Is anybody here familiar with this problem? LightWave's default plane is Positive X to the right when character is facing toward Positive Z. Thanks for any remedies to this.

Richard

nikfaulkner
09-16-2011, 02:34 AM
the rotating thing works here....strange

look at http://www.rebelhill.net/html/lwandfbx.html everything (and more) you need to know

RebelHill
09-16-2011, 05:03 AM
LWs Z- is the same as other apps Z+ (they're flipped)... so anything u make facing Z- in LW pops open in others facing Z+ as if by magic. X is unaffected though, and X+ will be to the characters left side in both packages.

Also, you can just rotate a character to face as needed in layout, but you should rotate the characters parent mesh/null/whatever, rather than the root bone.

And yes, what he said.

Richard Hebert
09-16-2011, 06:29 AM
Yes, strange is the word. I tried rotating the entire object (parent null and all). I hope this isn't a Mac version problem. Are you guys using a Mac by any chance? It could be that something else is wrong but I can't tell. It seems like a pretty simple procedure comparatively speaking. I'm going through the videos now and see some potential problems. Thanks for the video series Rebel. What I'm gathering from the first video is the skeleton is using the joint system for alteration not Z bones... is this correct when joints are referred to?

Richard

RebelHill
09-16-2011, 08:45 AM
You are ofc making sure to KEY your change after doing any rotation right??

Anyhow, yes... joints are the preferred choice. Really, joints and bones both behave exactly the same in that when set to Rot0,0,0 they must be aligned with world axis. With bones this just gives a straight line, and bones rotated to fit into a character shape will have to have a non 0,0,0 rotation at their base pose. This is fine for exchange to MB, animeeple, etc... but often one problem you get can be to line up skinning, and this non zero base pose makes returning to the correct bind pose tricky.

Joints however dont have to be rotated in order to be posed out to form a character shape... they can be positioned away from their parents... so a joints rig can adopt its bind pose, whist keeping axis at 0,0,0 and still all parrallel to world.

Weights are weirder when using joints due to joints stupid backtofront pivot/weight relationship, but you can either ignore this if all you're really caring about is moving the bones motion back n forth... but its still easy enough to make right manually if you need/want to see recognisable deforms in your character whilst outside of LW.

So despite this odd weighting issue, joints are still the better option, as the workflow for exchanging MOTIONS in and out of LW to otehr packages, back and forth, is facilitated in a way that leads to fewer problems with the different rotation orders/space/etc in these different packages.

Richard Hebert
09-16-2011, 09:44 AM
This is a lot to digest. Thanks for the in-depth insight into bones and rigging. LW always gives a lot of opportunity to learn and grow.

Richard