PDA

View Full Version : Slice it open, make it bleed

patrickkelly
09-14-2011, 11:42 AM
I have a Sub-D blood vein that needs to get a small cut in it so that a catheter can enter it. Client wants to see a small pair of scissors cut a small nick in the vein. Unwelding the points in the area of interest does not seem the trick.

Other than breaking it into two shots and compositing it together, is there a way to make a endomorph of the cut opening up?

Thanks all.

hrgiger
09-14-2011, 12:08 PM
Unwelding a sub-D blood vein itself probably won't work because of the way the subpatch interpolation works. You'll need to add a few slices right next to the unwelded area on both sides to keep the two slices right up against each other.

OnlineRender
09-14-2011, 12:13 PM
I have no idea how you would implement this , post would be easier even using a mask ect ....
but for some reason CLOTH-fx enters my head .

Andrewstopheles
09-14-2011, 12:18 PM
Introduction to the Sewing Tool:
Click Here to view (ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/movies/w3dw/Sew.mov)

shrox
09-14-2011, 12:37 PM
Introduction to the Sewing Tool:
Click Here to view (ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/movies/w3dw/Sew.mov)

That or endomorphs.

patrickkelly
09-14-2011, 04:54 PM
I had totally forgotten about the Sew tool. That will most likely do the trick, but while I was waiting for the forum to come up with an answer, I fudged up a semi decent solution with endomorphs. I used the Edge Bevel tool and made some extra geometry in the base endomorph and then moved those polygons during the cut. Those polygons that occupy the space that would be the gap after the cutting got a transparency envelope. It's OK, not perfect.

As for the sew solution, I wonder if I could have 2 event nuls instead of just one. The reason for wanting 2 cutting nuls is to simulate the separate blades of the scissors.

Once again, I will say it out loud, this forum and the bright people in it just F-ing rock! You people never cease to amaze me. Now, get back to work you slackers.

Thanks,

Patrick

probiner
09-14-2011, 08:54 PM
What Hrgiger said:
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s202/animatics/Lightwave/tube_w.gif

Cheers

Cohen
09-14-2011, 09:32 PM
another possibility would be to create a duplicate object with the segments unwelded, and then swap the original object with the broken seam object on frame x. (There should be an option under object replacemnt in the geometry tab. If not, you can always spend a few minutes and write an object replacement script. But I'm pretty sure the option is already there.

archijam
09-15-2011, 12:23 AM
What Hrgiger said:
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s202/animatics/Lightwave/tube_w.gif

Cheers

Creepy.

Early Lynch creepy.

akademus
09-15-2011, 02:11 AM
I always did this kind of stuff by freezing subD into fairly high level, unwelding the points where I want to break it, creating a morph map to animate it. Oh, as well turning smoothing slightly down helps if you see the crease.

Cheers man.

Vojislav

P.S. let me know how the shipyard is coming?