PDA

View Full Version : Zbrush - Coming Soon....

jaf
09-13-2011, 11:46 AM
http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?t=160240

The Dommo
09-13-2011, 12:42 PM
Jeez.... that's pretty impressive. Can't wait for the upgrade!

oliversimonnet
09-13-2011, 02:32 PM
Woah that looked amazing!
Thanks for the link

cresshead
09-13-2011, 05:19 PM
err..WOW!

JeffrySG
09-13-2011, 10:14 PM
Pretty slick! Beautiful sculpting skills too!

bazsa73
09-13-2011, 11:21 PM
Holy Shizzle

safetyman
09-14-2011, 05:28 AM
Saving my pennies! At this rate it will take me about 4.235 years, so by then they will have a direct hookup to your brain.

jwiede
09-14-2011, 07:20 AM
Yep, another really impressive update. As rough as R3 was (esp. for us Mac users), they're doing such an impressive job with ZB4 that it more than makes up for the prior pain. Still need to focus more on quality and testing, which remains a bit so-so, but it is clear they have a vision for ZBrush and are working hard to make it a reality.

Newtek should take a serious look at how Pixologic has been managing users' expectations since ZB4, as Pixologic have done a great job of addressing communication problems very similar to the recent problems Newtek has had. Pixologic are now doing an excellent job, IMO, providing clear communication about how their focus is translating into practical features, without getting too caught up in implementation specifics. Since ZB4, they've also done a much better job of setting and meeting their schedule goals.

I really believe Newtek would be well-served by taking a page from Pixologic's book, and instead of getting caught up in feature lists, take advantage of the LW closed beta community to produce webcasts showing how new/improved features directly translate into workflows for customers. Show beta testers using the features in new or improved ways, without feeling compelled to provide narrative explanation of what's going on in the video. Less is more, so if the video feels like detailed narrative is needed to explain what's shown, then that example may not be appropriate for a preview. Don't feel compelled to use footage just because it exists, focus on keeping the message clean, and on point.

Despite Pixologic providing very limited details about the precise implementations, one can watch their preview videos and immediately see how the changes improve existing workflows, and open new areas for exploration. Both the pre-ZB4 videos and the current crop for ZB4R2 are exemplary in that regard, even though little is actually said nor many details provided in the preview videos. The videos whet the customers' appetites for the features, without trying to iteratively explain all the details about the features' implementations. The absence of narrative actually strengthens the "impact" of the video.

Another problems I've had with recent Newtek videos is the repetitive verbal assertions of how customers should feel: "Lightwave is great!", "Lightwave provides tremendous value!" and so forth. I find it much too heavy-handed and ad-cliche, often to the point of drawing my attention away from the topical content of the video. It's fine to convey some excitement about the product, but when done repetitively it starts to take on an "late-night infomercial"-like feel, evoking a negative impression.

In contrast, the Pixologic videos don't feel like ads at all, IMO, but more like tutorials or work studies. Excellent scoring definitely helps, esp. allowing the music to evoke greater emotional response by avoiding narrative. I find myself paying much closer attention to their videos because they don't feel like ads, and as a result they have a much stronger overall impact.

I hope this comes across as the constructive criticism it's meant to be, rather than just as "advertising" Pixologic or "slamming" Newtek somehow. I just think the way Pixologic are now handling communications offers a number of positive examples which Newtek should consider when trying to solve their own customer communication issues.

thomascheng
09-14-2011, 10:46 AM
That is the key thing about Pixologic video. They show just enough to spark the imagination. Its also helps that they completely removed all technical presentation in the video and focus only on the artistic aspect. The beautiful sculpt is also inspiring.