PDA

View Full Version : pipes

netstile123
09-12-2011, 02:32 PM
Is there a plugin that helps making piping easy. Thanks:thumbsup:

Lewis
09-12-2011, 02:38 PM
Yes, Pictrix Bezier is marvelous tool, it's masterpiece and can do lot more than just pipes (check all videos on his site)

http://www.pictrix.jp/?s=Px_Bezier&submit=Search

netstile123
09-12-2011, 04:46 PM
this looks very interesting. I am not sure on the non english site. Would this plug in be compatible with 10.1 and also 64 Bit? I only see boxes with mac and win 32. Has anyone has succes with 64 bit? with this plug in. If not any other ideas?

OnlineRender
09-12-2011, 07:16 PM
whats wrong with creating a circle flipping the poly and using rail extrude ?

EDIT : layer one : make a disk

layer 2 : draw the pipe shape using spline draw

select the poly in layer one "you may need to flip it " and hit rail extrude ...........

eagleeyed
09-12-2011, 08:05 PM
Another option would be the ever marvelous tool that is LW-Cad.

Does cost a bit, however is a great addition to LightWave.

Here is the pipe video for it: http://www.wtools3d.com/manual/manual3/assets/video/Pipe_31update/Pipe_31update.swf

www.wtools3d.com

OnlineRender's solution though would work fine and a lot cheaper :P.

akademus
09-13-2011, 02:43 AM
I wish Px Bezier was 64 bit...

Lewis
09-13-2011, 02:54 AM
I wish Px Bezier was 64 bit...

Why ? what's the problem in modeling at LWM 32bit ? I use os many 32bit plugins at modeler 32bit installed on 64bit windows. Works just fine and i never exceeded 4GB limit even with 9+ million polys models.

prometheus
09-14-2011, 06:51 AM
I agree with Lewis, pictrix bezier is awesome, and you should of course keep A 32 bit version installed for some years ahead.

I believe it should work with 10.1...havent tested it on it thou, since I avoid using 10.1 for the moment, some plugins not working wich I want to use, and the color space screw up issues wich could happen if not careful.

I would say that pictrix bezier is in my mind much better and does a lot more than lw cadīs pipe tool, at least for my purposes.

pictrix bezier curve should be lightwave native thou, and supported by 64 bit preferably.

Michael

akademus
09-14-2011, 07:05 AM
Why ? what's the problem in modeling at LWM 32bit ? I use os many 32bit plugins at modeler 32bit installed on 64bit windows. Works just fine and i never exceeded 4GB limit even with 9+ million polys models.

Its just I have some tools in 32 and some in 64 and I don't want to switch between the two modelers during work. It seems like a fairly new plugin so I just wish they also made a 64 version...

prometheus
09-14-2011, 07:10 AM
Its just I have some tools in 32 and some in 64 and I don't want to switch between the two modelers during work. It seems like a fairly new plugin so I just wish they also made a 64 version...

I can understand that, I mailed the pictrix guy quite some time ago regarding getting a 64 bit version, but he mentioned he didnīt have acess to 64 bit machine or something...but it was planned I think.

Best thing would be to get Newtek to pay this guy some amount of mony and get some of pictrix free plugins nativly in the Ligthwave modeler base, wich would help support 64 bit versions.

Michael

Lewis
09-14-2011, 07:11 AM

What LWM plugins are 64bit only ?

Bill Carey
09-14-2011, 08:06 AM
You could try Rope Editor Plus

http://www.next4d.com/download.htm

I haven't heard anything from Norm in a while, but leave a note and confirm he's still active. There is a 64 bit version, but I think the one available for download is 32bit only. Might have to contact him to get the 64 bit version.

netstile123
09-16-2011, 08:31 PM
Has anyone had success in lightwave 10 with Rope Editor Plus for Lightwave 3D from
next4d.com.

It looks really cool

universalpenman
09-16-2011, 08:36 PM

I haven't heard anything from Norm in a while, but leave a note and confirm he's still active. There is a 64 bit version, but I think the one available for download is 32bit only. Might have to contact him to get the 64 bit version.

That's correct I contact Norm a while ago and he sent me the 64bit Demo version which is Good to my needs but I' also have Pictrix Bezier and in my opinion you (like to many other users including me) are gonna have to get use to use it through 32version of LW Modeler, sorry Mate I found out that I'am not the only one who its been contacting the pictrix guy, and no answers so far.

Good Luck! ;)

netstile123
09-16-2011, 10:29 PM
Well, I was going to give Pictrix Bezier a try but am unable to install the plugin into 10.1.

I tried placing the .P file into the Plugin folder, Scan Directory, But modeler does not see it. Has Anyone had this problem with this? Or am I going at the install the wrong steps?

netstile123
09-16-2011, 11:08 PM
I found this in another post about pictrix bezier.>>>>>>>>>>>>>

But you canīt use it anyway with a 64 bit lightwave version, so youīll have to have a 32 bit version installed also or use it on another machine.
Itīs a pitty, I would gladly donate if it would show up some more on 64 bit and he really needs to fix a proper english translation fixed on the site.

Ill try and forward that to pictrix and hope he could get someone to help out with 64 bit compilations or if he needs more donations in order to afford a 64 bit machine.

extrude + from artsphere is pretty cool too, no need to use 1st contact to align polyshape to curve, that works automaticly, and you have pretty nice ribbon nipponite effects build in and noise effects.
Also itīs pretty cool to save settings, it contains almost all settings so you can load profiles, easy for fast horn creations.

However it doesnīt have the same interactivity and it doesnīt have the same bezier curve features, th px bezier handles straigh curves pretty well..in that regard px_bezier is much better.

Michael

windows7 64 bit
zotac gtx 480
i7 core 960
12 GB ram

This was a post by Michael some time back:

Has anyone been able to install pictrix bezier on a 64 bit system?

hrgiger
09-17-2011, 03:52 AM
LWCAD does pipes too.

jeric_synergy
09-17-2011, 10:52 AM
LWCAD does pipes too.

Damn that's cool:
http://www.wtools3d.com/manual/manual3/assets/video/Pipe_31update/Pipe_31update.swf

!!!!

akademus
09-17-2011, 12:49 PM
What LWM plugins are 64bit only ?

Probably none. But I just find it hard to track all the plugins i'm using these days, yet to keep in mind which one is which.

OnlineRender
09-17-2011, 01:04 PM
never used LWCAD but from what I hear and see it just looks AWESOME! boys got some coding skills ...........

netstile123
09-17-2011, 03:24 PM
I tried http://www.next4d.com/download.htm and was unable to locate or install the plugin as well. I tried to contact them and have not had any reply.

I see now I am going to have to get out my old lightwave 9.6 32 bit to get these plugs to work.

I can't believe there is not some compatibility with these developers and 10.1 with 64 bit. Or Newtek working to implement some new modeler tools.

If I am going to go threw the trouble to learn blender to get some modeling tools what is the point.

I think newtek needs to get this on the drawing board

Cryonic
09-18-2011, 12:53 AM
Why not download 10.1 32-bit?

prometheus
09-18-2011, 03:44 AM
I tried http://www.next4d.com/download.htm and was unable to locate or install the plugin as well. I tried to contact them and have not had any reply.

I see now I am going to have to get out my old lightwave 9.6 32 bit to get these plugs to work.

I can't believe there is not some compatibility with these developers and 10.1 with 64 bit. Or Newtek working to implement some new modeler tools.

If I am going to go threw the trouble to learn blender to get some modeling tools what is the point.

I think newtek needs to get this on the drawing board

Yeah..now just install a 32 bit version of Lw.9.6-10.0 and be done with it.

Pictrix bezier is awesome with all the handle control, questions is what difference there are between lw-cad pipes and pixtrix plugin, except for pixtrix beeing free and working only in 32 bit so far.

I had good use for it making welds around beams and other stuff, pictrix bezier also works as a bezier curve tool, polygon tool, belt tool extend and extrude tool apart from the tube/pipe tool.
Make sure to check the help commands within the tool on how to use it
properly, I love the snapping tools and how you can lock certain knot/points or the whole pipe and move it where you want it.

64 bit plugin might come when pixtrix upgrade to it, but always a good Idea to avoid such conflict and have two systems installed.

Michael

jeric_synergy
09-18-2011, 12:35 PM
Pictrix bezier is awesome with all the handle control, questions is what difference there are between lw-cad pipes and pixtrix plugin,
LWCad seems a bit more automatic: remember that you can go back and edit previous sections of the pipe. It also tends to be more "blueprinty" in terms of supplying the user with info about angles and dimensions (maybe P.bezier does this too, haven't used it in a while).

prometheus
09-19-2011, 01:03 AM
LWCad seems a bit more automatic: remember that you can go back and edit previous sections of the pipe. It also tends to be more "blueprinty" in terms of supplying the user with info about angles and dimensions (maybe P.bezier does this too, haven't used it in a while).

Well You can go back and edit previous sections of the pipe in px_Bezier too.

Lw-cad The angle and distance info is nice, to bad it canīt retain those dimension tool infoīs once dropped.

what you can do in pictrix bezier wich doesnīt seem to be available in the pipe tool, that is end scaling of the with, that seem to be missing in lw cad pipe wich only seem o be able to create uniform pipe, in pictrix
you can use taper to narrow end pipe if needed.

In pictrix bezier you can also middle mouse click and drag a selection around multi knot points you want to edit or move, so you can middle mouse klick and select one joint knot, klick again and select another and let you move those two selected at the same time, not possible in lw cad.

I can also choose the whole pipe by drawing a rectangle with the middle mouse and then move it to position it where I want, if I ctrl click outside of the pipe in a blank area I deselect it and can then go back and edit individual knots.

Pictrix can also have uniformly segments, where you only can set freeze error in lw cad, and not able to set divisions on straight segments, but in pictrix you can, by nature for construction things that might not be necessary in lw cad, but for other modeling tasks that is useful to have.

You can also rotate/twist the pipe if you would like to to get bolt looking style.

pictrix also has extend extrude mode fully working in subpatch mode.
line or face/polymode to create ground planes and other.

the plus side for lw cad would be that it doeīs what it should do for construction work I guess with a much simpler interface, and it works in 64 bit.

Pictrix_bezier on the other hand can do a lot more within the plugin itself.

I might add..if you only need a pipe tool, pictrix would do fine for no cost at all, as a pipe tool I think it surpasses Lw cads pipe.

Lw cad and what it can do overall and what it means to lightwave and itīs value is a different thing thou.
If you can afford it..buy it.

Michael

Michael

hrgiger
09-19-2011, 09:07 AM
Lw-cad The angle and distance info is nice, to bad it canīt retain those dimension tool infoīs once dropped.

Actually it can. LWCAD has dedicated angle, distance, area and volume tools which are retained.

what you can do in pictrix bezier wich doesnīt seem to be available in the pipe tool, that is end scaling of the with, that seem to be missing in lw cad pipe wich only seem o be able to create uniform pipe, in pictrix
you can use taper to narrow end pipe if needed.

Not with the pipe tool. But if you create your pipes using the profiler tool (which works just as well) you can scale control points independently. Twisting is also something that can be done independently with profiler.

prometheus
09-19-2011, 10:25 AM
Actually it can. LWCAD has dedicated angle, distance, area and volume tools which are retained.

Not with the pipe tool. But if you create your pipes using the profiler tool (which works just as well) you can scale control points independently. Twisting is also something that can be done independently with profiler.

Uhmm..Not sure of that, I mean when you create your pipe with the angle info. and drop the tool, I donīt see any of that blue print angle info applied to the model, I know you can measure and create info through the dimension tool, but thatīs not the same thing, and hard to get reference points from the pipe created instead of having the tool creating it upon dropping and after creation...so I donīt follow you that it Retains that info?

yes profiler is nice and you can scale end and start individually by clicking and dragging on them, but you see..the curve itself cannot be edited and moved so It looses interactivity since it can only use a predefined path.

If I were to draw a weld pipe around a beam, I would have much harder time to do it with lw cad than to use pictrix bezier curve, since I can edit the path all along as I go, and even move the whole pipe (without loosing editing control later on) or parts of the pipe along with perfect snapping of ends.

Michael

hrgiger
09-19-2011, 11:19 AM
Uhmm..Not sure of that, I mean when you create your pipe with the angle info. and drop the tool, I donīt see any of that blue print angle info applied to the model, I know you can measure and create info through the dimension tool, but thatīs not the same thing, and hard to get reference points from the pipe created instead of having the tool creating it upon dropping and after creation...so I donīt follow you that it Retains that info?

The information is not retained with the pipe tool itself, as I said there are dedicated tools in LWCAD for distance, angle, volume and area which can be applied to an object and they are still adjustable/interactive after they are dropped.

yes profiler is nice and you can scale end and start individually by clicking and dragging on them, but you see..the curve itself cannot be edited and moved so It looses interactivity since it can only use a predefined path.

If I were to draw a weld pipe around a beam, I would have much harder time to do it with lw cad than to use pictrix bezier curve, since I can edit the path all along as I go, and even move the whole pipe (without loosing editing control later on) or parts of the pipe along with perfect snapping of ends.

Michael

I would just ask how much you really need to move around a curve once you are ready to profile it. With LWCAD's snapping tools, it's pretty simple to position your curves exactly as you need them before you add a profile.

My point is not to argue LWCAD over Pictrix, just to say that there is some of the same functionality if you look for it.

prometheus
09-19-2011, 12:10 PM
The information is not retained with the pipe tool itself, as I said there are dedicated tools in LWCAD for distance, angle, volume and area which can be applied to an object and they are still adjustable/interactive after they are dropped.

I would just ask how much you really need to move around a curve once you are ready to profile it. With LWCAD's snapping tools, it's pretty simple to position your curves exactly as you need them before you add a profile.

My point is not to argue LWCAD over Pictrix, just to say that there is some of the same functionality if you look for it.

It all comes down to what you intend to model or use the pipes for, Ivé tried working with lw cad trying to do just that,creating a curve and trying to do a profile for welds, but it wasnīt good enough, a profile curve canīt be exactly decided in advance where it should be in order to look good once the weld profile pipe can be seen.

I prefer to use pictrix bezier since I can decide after if I need to rescale move parts of the weld more inside or outside of the intersections in order to look good.

If I would like to model a tree root branch following uneven surface curvature, pictrix bezier curve would be more easier to work with too.

Lw cadīs profiler and pipe tool is more aimed at certain arch wiz tasks and does a good job at that thou.

Lw cad is almost pure genius anyway, so no need to go lw cad vs pictrix..I just want to mention that some of the stuff in pictrix bezier curve are way better to use for some tasks, and those are mentioned now I believe.

Edit...I might just add it wasnīt as easy to create a curve to follow seams on the beams when working with solidworks constructions in lightwave, geometry isnīt suitable to extract curves from or follow matt
gorners weld seam tutorial, pictrix curve saved the day for that purpose.
Edit 2...oh..yeah...since the pipe tool in lwcad canīt divide segements, I couldnt jitter welds for that bumpy look.

how was it about the dimensions retained once dropping the tool, am I correct that it doesnīt retain that from what you see upon creation when dropped??

Michael

hrgiger
09-19-2011, 02:54 PM
how was it about the dimensions retained once dropping the tool, am I correct that it doesnīt retain that from what you see upon creation when dropped??

Michael

Could you rephrase that Michael? I'm not sure I get your meaning on this one.

speismonqui
09-19-2011, 09:54 PM
highly recomended if you don't know LWCAD already:
http://www.asilefx.net/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_26&products_id=47

zapper1998
09-19-2011, 10:24 PM
highly recomended if you don't know LWCAD already:
http://www.asilefx.net/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_26&products_id=47

do u have any of these dvd's
??
if u do do u like them???

are there videos compatable with LW 10.1???
I see there videos where made with LW8 and there has been some changes sense then..

eagleeyed
09-20-2011, 12:12 AM
If you do want to learn LW-Cad, best first step is definately to use the free online manual.

http://www.wtools3d.com/manual/manual3/

Nearly every tool has a video explaining it's use, if you still think you need further training then DVD's would be a good option but the manual for starters in my opinion is brilliant.

prometheus
09-20-2011, 12:37 AM
Could you rephrase that Michael? I'm not sure I get your meaning on this one.

Ok..
What I mean is that the angle info displayed when the tool is active, doesnīt seem to be applied as dimension info once the tool is dropped.
See image attached.

As I know of it.. you manually have to go throu angles or distances to set up those dimension infoīs and it would be hard to match what was displayed when the tool was active.

Michael

moussepipi2000
09-20-2011, 12:47 AM
no problem with px bezier on 10.1 about the install. But the plugin Create double polygon at the same place so we need to unify poly to delete the 2nd one.

hrgiger
09-20-2011, 03:32 AM
Ok..
What I mean is that the angle info displayed when the tool is active, doesnīt seem to be applied as dimension info once the tool is dropped.
See image attached.

As I know of it.. you manually have to go throu angles or distances to set up those dimension infoīs and it would be hard to match what was displayed when the tool was active.

Michael

Yes, as I said, the pipe tool itself does not retain the angles/dimensions. You would have to manually set up the angles with the angle tool which then would be retained. With LWCAD's snapping tools, it's really no problem to match the angles exactly. Here in the picture I made a pipe, dropped the tool and then in the background set up myangles. And of course the angle tool is adjustable at any time so if you need to change your pipe, you can change your angle without having to create a new one.

erikals
09-20-2011, 03:46 AM
PicTrix Ume Tube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9Ht1uIx-pU

erikals
09-20-2011, 03:53 AM
 
tube / pipe
http://www.pictrix.jp/lw/tube/

 

prometheus
09-20-2011, 04:59 AM
Yes, as I said, the pipe tool itself does not retain the angles/dimensions. You would have to manually set up the angles with the angle tool which then would be retained. With LWCAD's snapping tools, it's really no problem to match the angles exactly. Here in the picture I made a pipe, dropped the tool and then in the background set up myangles. And of course the angle tool is adjustable at any time so if you need to change your pipe, you can change your angle without having to create a new one.

would have been nicer thou if it could retain and apply the dimension directly from the active tool, an option for that would be awesome.

Another thing that would be awesome for pictrix plugins, that would be 64 bit pictix plugins, also the adding of a profile library inside of pictrix bezier curve similar to lw-cads would be awesome, and another feature wich works in pictrix c-worm would be to add individual knot scaling not only taper scaling on ends.

so those two things working inside of pictrix bezier curve would make it almost the ultimate pipe tool.

Now if I could go back and edit in a history stack, that would be awesome, but I guess we have to wait a bit for that:D

Michael

jeric_synergy
09-20-2011, 05:37 PM
So, what I hear you say is that that would be awesome.

Awesome.

speismonqui
09-20-2011, 09:29 PM
do u have any of these dvd's
??
if u do do u like them???

are there videos compatable with LW 10.1???
I see there videos where made with LW8 and there has been some changes sense then..

no, also I don't even own LWCAD :(, but I've watched a few clips and they're very good. Highly recomended, however I don't know if all the tools work with LW10.1. I guess they should.

nightrider
09-22-2011, 12:01 AM

Sorry this plg are very old and cant work with lgw 10 64 bit only vers 7

Bill Carey
09-22-2011, 09:10 AM
Sorry this plg are very old and cant work with lgw 10 64 bit only vers 7

I'm using it on LW 10.1 64bit. Works fine.