PDA

View Full Version : Austin, Texas 3D User Group

Stranahan
10-12-2003, 04:41 PM
Here's my idea...

I want to form a general interest 3D user group - that focuses on LightWave.

Why not just call it a LightWave User Group? Because I want to bring more people into the LightWave tent - as many as possible.

I spoke to my church today briefly about room rental. I go the the First Unitarian Church, which is in the north Hyde Park / North Loop area. They have nice, classroom style facility. It could hold a lot of people, and there's ample free parking.

I need to follow up with a call tomorrow, but basically all systems are go for me to get a meeting going for November.

Just so everyone knows, I started the first LightWave user's group in the world, about 12 years ago. I've also written extensively about UG stuff for NewTekPro and Keyframe.

I just mention this because this is familiar ground for me. I don't want this to be 'Lee's Group' but to be a vital, group driven project. I'm just trying to get stuff rolling.

Tom Wood
10-12-2003, 04:51 PM
I'll bring the soy sauce!

Or, um, something like that.

Count me in.

Tom

kevman3d
10-12-2003, 06:27 PM
That's AWESOME news, Lee! :)

IMHO, there's not *enough* LWUG's about - And its the Users and community that are one big reason for LightWave being so awesome...

Kev.

WizCraker
10-12-2003, 09:45 PM
when is the first meeting going to be?

Stranahan
10-12-2003, 09:51 PM
I'll post when it's locked in - I'd assume early November...

Verlon
10-12-2003, 10:27 PM
I am good for Wednesday-Fridays, as well as some Saturdays due to work.

If its on one of these days, I am there for sure. If not, I will do what I can.

Verlon

policarpo
10-13-2003, 10:14 AM
sounds like a plan.

let's make sure that some beer will be nearby so that after the meeting we can shoot the breeze. :)

Stranahan
10-20-2003, 05:26 PM
How does the second Thursday of each month sound, starting in November?

Tom Wood
10-20-2003, 06:30 PM
Put me in the "any time works" category for now.

Hey, I'm easy, but I'm not cheap.

Tom Wood

Stranahan
10-20-2003, 06:45 PM
The room is going to cost $30. I'm thinking of charging something like $2-5 per person per meeting - or a straight $25-30 for a year, which will also include a CD...seem reasonable?

Tom Wood
10-20-2003, 07:09 PM
Way reasonable.

I'm also a member of the Austin Screenwriters Group:

http://www.austinscreenwriters.org/

We meet twice a month on the third floor of Book People to read scripts and give critiques. Dues are $24 a year....Which I need to pay now...

TW

Verlon
10-21-2003, 07:18 AM
Date and fee works for me.

I'm in.

WizCraker
10-21-2003, 02:11 PM
What time and where?

policarpo
10-21-2003, 02:14 PM
sounds good. :)

Stranahan
10-21-2003, 02:32 PM
The plan is...

7pm - 9pm...

First Unitarian Church on Grover...between Lamar and Burnett

Take North Loop to Grover and go south. Can't miss it.

Stranahan
11-13-2003, 03:00 PM
Just wanted to get the word out....no UG meeting tonight.

policarpo
11-13-2003, 04:23 PM
:-(

guess i'll give the demo at the 3dsmax user group meeting later this month.

:)

hope you guys are on Mike Parkhill's list.

policarpo
11-13-2003, 04:42 PM
To anyone on this list who had intended to attend the demo on the 13th, please send me an email if you are still interested in learning the technique.

I am coordinating with Mike Parkhill of the 3dsmax user group (40+ members) and 9 years strong, to do a demo at this months meeting. I should have an answer in a couple days. If it's cool with you I can forward your email to him so he can add it to his list...that way you'll get a reminder of the meeting a couple days prior to the actual date.

It's a great group of 3D professionals in the Austin area. Everyone has used everything...don't let the name fool you. :)

Hope to see you there regardless if I do the demo this month or not. It's a fun time.

Ciao!
:D

WizCraker
11-13-2003, 05:38 PM
Good thing I did not step out the door before reading this.

Why was it Canceled?

Policarpo,

What are you demoing and when is the Max meeting?

Floyd Kurio
11-13-2003, 07:26 PM
The bad news is - I missed the notice. The good news is - no one else seems to have. Poli, I'll see you at the cave.

policarpo
11-14-2003, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by WizCraker
Good thing I did not step out the door before reading this.

Why was it Canceled?

Policarpo,

What are you demoing and when is the Max meeting?

Not really sure why it was cancelled.

I didn't get notification until about an hour before I was going to head out.

It's a good thing I was set to receive email notifications to this thread.

Lee, my suggestion would be for you to at least give people one days notice as a courtesy if you decide to cancel one of these meetings. Most of us have to make time for these type of events and it sucks when they fall through.

As far as doing the demo, looks like it won't be until January since the Nov meeting of the 3dsmax group is cancelled cause of T-Giving and December will be a demo on Particle Flow in 3dsmax 6 by Kelcey Privett.

Should be fun!

Verlon
11-14-2003, 10:09 AM
I do not know your email address. Keep me posted on the 3DS thing. I am on Mike's email list, but do not go that often because I am strictly a Lightwave user.

policarpo
11-14-2003, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by Verlon
I do not know your email address. Keep me posted on the 3DS thing. I am on Mike's email list, but do not go that often because I am strictly a Lightwave user.

um....it's [email protected]

the 3dsmax group is really cool.

they don't discriminate either. they are really about 3D.

i mean, in the end, it's all the same.

:D

Stranahan
11-14-2003, 07:52 PM
Sorry. I am absolutely flat broke, to the point where my rent check is going to put me into overdraft. I couldn't afford the pay the $30 room rent for the meeting, and I couldn't drive to the meeting because the headlight on my car is broken, and the inspection sticker is invalid and I can't afford to fix either one - so I'd be asking to be pulled over and getting stuck with a big fine, or worse. So, I just have to stay at home at night right now. Signups for the new events have been horrific, and that was a big source of income. Other training options - such as PhotoShop classes - haven't worked out either.

Things will be okay in the long term, I think, and I'm sorry for the last minute cancellation. The whole thing is pretty humiliating for me.

policarpo
11-17-2003, 08:03 AM
Ouch. Sorry to hear that.

miguel446
11-24-2003, 12:37 PM
Sorry to hear that the meeting is having trouble getting off the ground. Are you guys going to get together Next month? Our group in Dallas is really good, but we have trouble getting together regularly, thought I might shoot down and catch you guys next time.

m