PDA

View Full Version : Network Render Controller... Which one's best?

lardbros
09-12-2011, 06:12 AM
Hey guys and gals!

I'm just about to set up our render nodes at work to use Lightwave and thought I'd ask before I plump for one or the other.

I realise there are some like Deadline that can work with most other software, but unfortunately we don't want to pay... :)

Soooo, as Amleto has become 'open source' and there is a nice updated LightNet - Cloud, which of these is the best?

I noticed with Amleto docs that you have to setup the render settings in the software, rather than it take these settings from the scene file... is that correct? Or can it just open a scene and render it with its settings?

As for LightNet, does that take up much bandwidth when checking the 'watch' folders etc?

Are there any other free ones people can recommend?

Thanks everyone!

Regards,
Tim

eagleeyed
09-12-2011, 08:06 AM
Personally I cannot recommend Amleto enough, was a beta tester for it so got a license and used it a lot. Used it a bit recently with LightWave 10 however not sure if there is a bug or not with handling radiosity cache.

Noticed something up with radiosity a month or so again however didnt look into it much so not sure. Haven't rendered over network for a job since then so haven't looked into it.

It does grab all the settings from the scene file, you can just edit them in the program if you want (not all settings, some though)

Not free, however Butterfly Net Render seems to be used a fair bit, I found Amleto better by leaps and bounds though. Absolute piece of cake to setup, no network drives or anything.

lardbros
09-12-2011, 11:55 AM
Right... I jumped in and tried out Amleto... now, it's nice and all, but I'm having issues!

Maybe I should post this in the help section, but I'll post here for now, maybe you can help? :)

Basically, I've never set up a LW network render manager before, but in 3dsmax, it all just works... no messing around at all...

Soooo, I have my workstation (win7 Enterprise 64-bit) We'll call this WS1... I want to send jobs from this.

I have my render nodes (windows server 2k3 64-bit) We'll call this RN1-6... I want these to render my jobs.

I also have a machine that we use as the render server (win server 2k3 64-bit), call this one RS1 (for backburner, the 3dsmax render manager)... this machine is also used as a node too if we are rushing!

I have tried setting it up in the same way as we use backburner, but have hit a problem.

My workstation WS1 (Win7) can be seen as a client by the server machine RS1 (win2k3), if I point my workstation to the servers IP address.

My workstation WS1 CANNOT see RS1 if I set that up as a client... and run the server from my WS1.

Does the server connect to the server machine and just 'view' all the nodes? Or can you not remotely access the bit where you add jobs and stuff?

Any help would be awesome!

Thanks guys!

Tim

paulhart
09-12-2011, 01:08 PM
I have my main station setup as the Server, but it also runs a client, if I want it to. Setup should allow you to specify to setup both, one, or the other. Do this on each machine. I use VNC to be able to easily monitor my farm machines from the one station. It is also Open Source. You will have to tell each station to accept communication with VNC, the first time, so the Firewalls are okay with the traffic. Once setup, I usually create Network visible folder that is shared, and each station gets a simple Map to it. Make sure that each client, has it's own designated "temp" folder locally, for it to store files and content, don't use the same one for all of the clients. Startup the Server, then start up a Client. You should see the Client show up in the Server window. Start a job, it will accept the Scene setup, but it does allow you to change these on the fly if you want to, or just let it go. The client(s) will download the content and the configs that you designated in the setup. I usually have the project in a clean single folder, so it doesn't just grab everything I might have as resources. "Packaging" the Scene and saving it to this folder does the trick. This should do it. I have had a licensed copy of Amleto for years, and now am using the updated version as it allows me more clients than the license that I had bought. Great program. Should work fine.
Paul

lardbros
09-12-2011, 01:39 PM
Yeah, I got as far as your detailing, but for some reason there is something going wrong with the contact between Win7 ----> Win2k3. It's fine the other way around though.

It seems very straight forward, but I'm not in charge of the Firewalls or routers etc, so maybe something on the Win7 machine is blocking it in accepting win2k3 stuff?

The win2k3 machine doesn't have a firewall, but the win7 machine does have windows firewall on... but I have added as many things to it as I can:

Added all amleto.exe's, and added ports both UDP and TCP for port 61111. Any other tips?

Thanks for your response! I am very impressed with it, and am glad it's free... but thought it would run without a hitch :) So much for my positivity!!

paulhart
09-12-2011, 01:50 PM
Before I get Amleto into the mix.... Try to see if you can communicate between the machines just with simple means like Windows folders. Try to create a mapped folder that everybody can see, and see if you can move files into and out of it from the two machines. Try setting up TightVNC and allow your self to "see" the second machine. If this is all working, then put Amleto into the mix. My experience is that Amleto was never the problem, most of it was network settings, firewalls, permissions, mapped folders, having a local temp folder, etc., etc.

lardbros
09-12-2011, 02:14 PM
Well, we are using backburner in the same configuration, so there must be some contact and all of our storage is on a gigabit network, and they are mapped too, so all our storage is shared already, and all the PC's save to and open files from our network.

I can log into the server machine from the win7 machine using 'mstsc' but haven't bothered trying the other way, or even know if we can use 'mstsc' on the win2k3 machine.

I definitely think it's the firewalls, network, permissions etc, and not amleto... i'm just looking for some guidance I guess :)

Thanks for listening! :)

chco2
09-12-2011, 02:40 PM
Although not free, I tried Squidnet and it seems to work virtually out of the box. Not too expensive either!

geo_n
09-12-2011, 08:42 PM
Well, we are using backburner in the same configuration, so there must be some contact and all of our storage is on a gigabit network, and they are mapped too, so all our storage is shared already, and all the PC's save to and open files from our network.

I can log into the server machine from the win7 machine using 'mstsc' but haven't bothered trying the other way, or even know if we can use 'mstsc' on the win2k3 machine.

I definitely think it's the firewalls, network, permissions etc, and not amleto... i'm just looking for some guidance I guess :)

Thanks for listening! :)

I'm using backburner at work and also installed amleto and they both work the same way trying to brute force network connections. Easier to setup than bnr where I have to manually put the network ids.
It must be permissions and link layer topology. I had this problem accessing winvista and win7 computers from winxp computer. I installed link layer topology and set up permissions to be accessed by "everyone" or make all computers co-owners. Might not be advisable for you if you don't trust the people using your computers but its just bothersome to setup permissions and login username/pass for each computer that uses old os like xp, win2k, etc.
I would say amleto is the best for lw since its fast, does the work and FREE. Network controllers should be free with good features like backburner not like screamernet which totally sucks.
I would like to try lightnet cloud but I really can't get it to work.

Cageman
09-12-2011, 09:08 PM
Muster... (http://www.vvertex.com/) extremely versatile these days, with all sorts of features for WOL and timerules etc regarding workstations that should pop into the renderfarm when the user logs out or even turns of the computer. Extremely easy to setup and use with LW and a bunch of other 3D-apps and renderengines and also compositing applications.

The free version comes with two nodes, and then you pay $85 / any additional node you need, or you pay $2499 for unlimited number of nodes. So, if you in total have 6 nodes, you pay $340. Not as lowcost as BNR, but featurewise it really is one of the best rendermanager solutions out there. Oh, and unlike BNR, that copies data from one place to another for rendering, Muster works directly on your content.

lardbros
09-13-2011, 03:33 AM
No chance of getting money for something like this, I'm the only one who dares to use LW in the office... everyone laughs still :(

Anyway... I've got IT onto the network/permissions issue, but was wondering...

How do I just send the Layout scene files to Amleto, WITHOUT it taking control of my settings? I've added the job, and the settings seem a bit odd. Some of them come through, some don't.

So, my adaptive sampling doesn't come through, my frames in length don't...

I just want it to render with EXACTLY my settings in the scene file, but it seems to mess with them.

Any pointers? :)

Thanks for all your responses guys, much appreciated! :D

DarkLight
09-14-2011, 07:01 AM
Hi,

Amleto should be reading the setting from your scene file and only changing them if you decide to override the options. What are the setting getting changed to?

I'll take a look into it and see if i can get it fixed in the next version.

If you need to get in touch my e-mail address is steve.moody73 <at> gmail.com

Steve

lardbros
09-14-2011, 07:56 AM
Hi Steve,

Thanks for the quick response... you're doing a great job on this, thanks!! :)

As for the issue, I set a render going on my local LW machine and it renders out lovely and smooth, all noise is removed using the adaptive sampling... but when I send this to the farm, it renders with loads of noise, even if I change the values of the adaptive sampling in amleto itself.

So, the first issue is:

Amleto doesn't seem to read the adaptive sampling from my camera... nor the oversampling. Would be great if that could be sorted :)

Also, doesn't seem to correctly read my anti-aliasing either.

(Not sure what info to give that may help, but my camera is a 'real lens cam' so maybe it's that causing the issue?)

Ummmm, also... how possible would it be to have a button that just greys out all the options, so it's guaranteed to use the scenes default settings rather than the wrong amleto ones. This would be handy for when Newtek make changes etc, so that amleto doesn't have to be kept up-to-date, it can be used just to send the scene files on their own?

Also, with my rendered scene, even if I force the settings to be the same as my actual scene, it still renders out differently to the same scene opened up on my local machine.

Sooo, I was wondering... if amleto has the scene files already copied over to the nodes, and i stop the job, and then make a change, send it again... does it over-write the original scene file, or use the same one? If it uses the same one, maybe this is another issue? Would be cool if it always overwrote what was there when you send a job, regardless of whether they have the same file-name etc.

Thanks!

Tim

zardoz
09-14-2011, 08:07 AM
Hi Tim (lardbros)

at my work place I'm the only one using LW too...everybody else uses max or xsi and we use backburner for network rendering. We managed to have LW work perfectly with backburner so all my scenes go into the queue just like everyone elses. To me it's a perfect system.

lardbros
09-14-2011, 08:17 AM
Hi Tim (lardbros)

at my work place I'm the only one using LW too...everybody else uses max or xsi and we use backburner for network rendering. We managed to have LW work perfectly with backburner so all my scenes go into the queue just like everyone elses. To me it's a perfect system.

You what??!?!? :)

How did you manage that? I never even thought about having that work?

Is it simple to set up?

:)

lardbros
09-14-2011, 08:33 AM
As for my issues with Amleto, I've tried changing the camera type to 'perspective', but it still opens in Amleto with the antialiasing level at 3, and adaptive sampling at 0.1.

Very odd, as even if I change these values to what i have in my scene the images still come out as if they are rendered with the value of 0.1 adaptive sampling.

This is kind of an urgent job, so any help with what I'm doing wrong would be greatly appreciated! :) Also, getting backburner up and running with LW would be great too! :)

djlithium
09-14-2011, 08:58 AM
Give SquidNet a try.

lardbros
09-14-2011, 09:04 AM
Give SquidNet a try.

SquidNet looks good, but my work won't pay for a network rendering solution when everyone uses 3dsmax apart from me, and backburner has never been a problem. (I realise it's not much money, but I can't really get away with the poor explanation of "well, I want to render something in LW, and the built in Network render software is bo**ocks, so can I buy something, just for me and my LW? :) )

It has to be a free one, mainly because I'm the sole user of LW :(

Amleto has been very easy to set up in all fairness... just this issue of Adaptive sampling and AA setting is bothering me.

Thanks for the pointer though...

paulhart
09-14-2011, 10:35 AM
Just to keep thing "clean" I go into the Server and use the Command, "Clean All Nodes Output," and "Clean All Nodes Content," when I want to make sure that it doesn't render "glitchy" scenes, when I have changed some settings. This way it gets the correct Scene file. Mostly it works fine, occasionally my little farm will cough up a few hairball frames. I am really not sure if this is Amleto at all, but a little housekeeping does seem to help.
Paul

DarkLight
09-14-2011, 11:12 AM
Ummmm, also... how possible would it be to have a button that just greys out all the options, so it's guaranteed to use the scenes default settings rather than the wrong amleto ones. This would be handy for when Newtek make changes etc, so that amleto doesn't have to be kept up-to-date, it can be used just to send the scene files on their own?

Thanks for the info Tim, i'll have a look into that this evening and see what i can find out.

As for the button to use the render settings from the scene that should be fairly trivial to add, will get it in for the next release.

lardbros
09-14-2011, 01:21 PM
Just to keep thing "clean" I go into the Server and use the Command, "Clean All Nodes Output," and "Clean All Nodes Content," when I want to make sure that it doesn't render "glitchy" scenes, when I have changed some settings. This way it gets the correct Scene file. Mostly it works fine, occasionally my little farm will cough up a few hairball frames. I am really not sure if this is Amleto at all, but a little housekeeping does seem to help.
Paul

Yeah, I tried that...

Anyway, ever since the beginning of me trying Amleto, I have sent the troublesome scene around 15 times... and I only checked earlier today all the files that have come out...

they are all identical... despite changing the adaptive sampling numerous times, even within amleto :)

Definitely an issue with the adaptive sampling, and possibly the anti-aliasing too?

Thanks for taking a look Steve... that would be cool if you could add that :)

Wooooo!

BlueApple
09-14-2011, 02:27 PM
Hi Tim (lardbros)

I would be interested to know how that was set up as well. Care to share?

lardbros
09-14-2011, 02:57 PM
I would be interested to know how that was set up as well. Care to share?

I've looked online for anyone else doing this and there's nothing, apart from zardoz asking if it's possible about 2 years ago... guess he found a way :)

Am quite looking forward to hearing how on earth this might work. Although Amleto is VERY easy to use, might just keep it going anyway, depending on how easy it is to set up Backburner for LW!

BlueApple
09-14-2011, 03:46 PM
I've been reading and it looks like AfterEffects can use BackBurner via some command line work. I wonder if that is the method that should be used with LightWave as well...

zardoz
09-14-2011, 06:16 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm posting here the link to the script I use to send jobs from LW to Backburner (BB).
Unfortunately I don't know who did this script so I can't give the credit to the person/persons. We had this script in our company and I don't know it's source. Besides sending jobs to BB it also had the function to create and organize directories for a 'render passes' workflow, where the user created the passes...the script created a set of directories to save the different renders. Because I mostly do print work...and I work alone, I don't need this part of the script...I was only interested in the LW 2 BB connection. So I edited the script a lot, but because I don't know anything about programming, those who know about programming will be scared of what they might find here. If you find the coding confusing it is surely because of me...not the original programmer.
So I tried to delete what I didn't want but the script wouldn't work. So by trial and error I changed it in a way it would not create all those directories, etc. and still work. So you might find redundant code in this script (for what it is doing now - sending stuff to BB) but if I delete it it doesn't work.

So what do you need to do to get this running:

In Lightwave:

- copy the LW2Backburner.ls to your plugin folder and add it to layout. Create a nice button for it, maybe in the render tab (mine is in the top menus).
- copy the LW2Backburner.bat somewhere...I have it in my Lightwave directory.
- now you have to edit the script to:

replace "\"c:\\Program Files (x86)\\Autodesk\\Backburner\\cmdjob.exe\""; with your backburner installation folder (this one is the default one)

replace backburner's manager ip here " -manager 192.168.10.100"; with your manager ip

replace this with the folder where you copy the LW2Backburner.bat " -attach \"C:\\Lightwave\\LW2Backburner.bat\" -d\"" + Project + "\"" + " " + "\"" + Project + "\\scenes\\"+ Name + ".lws\" %%tp2 %%tp3";

then in the LWBackburner.bat replace C:\Lightwave\bin\lwsn.exe -3 -cC:\Lightwave\support\configs\ %1 %2 %3 %4 %5
with the folder where you have Lightwave

basically you have to check that these folders are right and that every file knows where everything is.
So in the network every computer must find everything else...and this I can't help because I don't know much about it.

Now about backburner...we use version 2008.1.3 build 330. By the way anyone can download BB for free at the autodesk site (http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=11384822&linkID=9241178)
I can't find the version we are using anymore so I hope this version will work. I know that there are problems with other versions...even with maya, xsi, etc. We did not install a newer version because everything is running fine now so we are afraid to change it and we already read that there are problems with other versions of BB...so we keep this one in a safe spot.

And that's it.

By the way, my work mates use Max, XSI, After Effects and now also Nuke with BB. I can ask how they do it and try to explain here. But I know that everything follows the same principle.

If the author of the original version of this script doesn't want this to be shared just ask me and I'll remove this.
If anyone with programming skills wants to alter this script and make it better (like being able to configure these folders, etc) I don't have any problems with that.

download here: LW2BB (http://www.luislopes.eu/LW2Backburner.zip)

BlueApple
09-14-2011, 06:21 PM
zardoz-

I really appreciate you sharing this. I will investigate it first thing in the morning.

If you could post your AE -> BB process it'd be appreciated as well. I'm looking into the command line method and while it may work it seems a little tedious.

Thanks again.

archijam
09-15-2011, 01:05 AM
zardoz you are a master .. many thanks!

I actually think this is a great excuse to sneak LW into a MAX infested workplace! :thumbsup:

By the way, my work mates use Max, XSI, After Effects and now also Nuke with BB. I can ask how they do it and try to explain here. But I know that everything follows the same principle.

If the author of the original version of this script doesn't want this to be shared just ask me and I'll remove this.
If anyone with programming skills wants to alter this script and make it better (like being able to configure these folders, etc) I don't have any problems with that.

download here: LW2BB (http://www.luislopes.eu/LW2Backburner.zip)

lardbros
09-15-2011, 02:48 AM
Thanks Zardoz... this may help a lot... but shame it's not quite as easy as setting up amleto :)

Do you have the original script too? The un-edited one?

You're a star though, thanks for posting this! :D Will give it a go!

lardbros
09-15-2011, 04:23 AM
I've tried this and can't get it to work I'm afraid... edited all the lscript, but think I need a few more details.

Do all the nodes have to have the LW2Backburner.bat on them, and do they all need the lscript in their plugins folder?

What do I have to set up each node with? In terms of folder structure. Do all the machines have to have the same folder structure, and use an identical set of configs?

I was wondering if I have to set up LWSN to work first? If that's the case, I'm not sure I can be bothered :)

Blimey... this is faaaarrr easier with 3dsmax :)

zardoz
09-15-2011, 07:29 AM
well...the setup here is like this: we have lightwave in one single machine. The script and the bat are on that machine. Lightwave folder must be mapped on the network. So that it's the same for all nodes.
backburner server must be installed in all computers. And that's it. You don't have to setup lwsn.

BlueApple
09-15-2011, 09:43 AM
zardoz & lardbros
I loaded up the .bat and .ls, changed paths and am having no luck either. My BacBurner doesn't even see a job added or throw any errors after trying to render from Layout.

I am using BackBurner Version 2012.0.0.1560, so maybe I need to roll back to the version that zardoz mentioned. I'm hesitant to do that because all of our workstations render 3ds Max as-is without a hitch, and I don't want to break that.

zardoz
09-15-2011, 10:59 AM
have you tried opening a cmd window a dropping there the .bat file and running it?
try to see what errors it says.
also...does it create a 'job' folder in your content dir? does it create .bat files in this 'job' folder? and the subfolder 'log'? any log files in there?

BlueApple
09-15-2011, 02:31 PM
I didn't spot the "Job" folder... perhaps I need my eyes checked.

So, upon pressing OK in the LW2BackBurner window, a "Job" folder is created. In it is a "Log" folder, mySceneName_Frames.txt, and mySceneName_Job.bat.

The Frames file looks like this:

Frames 1-1 1 1
Frames 2-2 2 2
Frames 3-3 3 3
Frames 4-4 4 4

and the .bat file looks like this:

"c:\Program Files (x86)\Autodesk\Backburner\cmdjob.exe" -jobName "BurnVictim" -manager 192.168.10.100 -priority 50 -description "BurnVictim" -taskList "R:\TempLW_DELETEME\LWTest\Job\BurnVictim_Frames.tx t" -timeout 200 -taskName 1 -group "" -logPath "R:\TempLW_DELETEME\LWTest\Job\Log" -attach "C:\Lightwave\LW2Backburner.bat" -d"R:\TempLW_DELETEME\LWTest" "R:\TempLW_DELETEME\LWTest\scenes\BurnVictim.lws" %%tp2 %%tp3

My render window is below.

The BackBurner Queue Monitor shows my computer listed as Idle, but there is no record of activity. I don't see errors anywhere.

Any thoughts?

zardoz
09-15-2011, 03:32 PM
is the backburner manager ip in this .bat correct? you have to be sure that the ip is right.
have you tried opening this .bat in a cmd line? that helps to find errors

lardbros
09-15-2011, 03:36 PM
I have the same issues too... Lightwave surely has to be installed on the nodes too doesn't it? And where do you store the plugins etc?

Our work folders are all on the network anyway, we use it for everything... and all computers can see these folders. The .bat file is put in the LW directory on the main machine, and the LScript is working like BlueApple showed, so not sure what the issue is. Spent too long on this already, but am determined to get it working.

Do all your Lightwave installs on the nodes exactly the same as your main install? The problem I have is our nodes are all Win2k3, so the user folders are in different places to Win7. Does that make any difference?

Sorry, this thread is now turning into a support call for your script that you kindly gave to us :) Sorry!

lardbros
09-15-2011, 03:42 PM
is the backburner manager ip in this .bat correct? you have to be sure that the ip is right.

I never even looked to see if a batch file was created on my system :) I'll investigate further tomorrow... hope it doesn't take too much longer to figure out. Do I need to enable anything in the Firewall? I've done the cmdjob.exe, but is there anything else I'll need to do?

I do have admin privileges, but some things don't run correctly unless I right-click and 'run as admin' on win7.

I'll pick your brains more tomorrow when I've checked out the batch file it creates.

My IP is definitely correct. I chose the same IP as the manager we use for 3dsmax network rendering.

zardoz
09-15-2011, 03:47 PM
lightwave must be installed only in one machine...you only have one dongle right?
the nodes don't need lightwave installed, the nodes only need to find lightwave in the network.
when I say: "then in the LWBackburner.bat replace C:\Lightwave\bin\lwsn.exe -3 -cC:\Lightwave\support\configs\ %1 %2 %3 %4 %5
with the folder where you have Lightwave" this must be your installation folder but with the mapped drive in your network. The example I left here (and the script) are from my home installation. That's why it says c:\etc

you can also try a simple setup in a single machine and try to see if it works. Then extrapolate to a network.

if you use messenger can you tell me your email? maybe it's easier to help that way

lardbros
09-15-2011, 04:06 PM
I do have one dongle, but with 3ds max it has to be installed on every node on the farm.

Anyway, so are you saying that LW has to be installed on a network drive? As in all the program executables etc? I don't think we can run exe's from our network drives... if that's what is supposed to happen.

I have messenger at home, but the issue is at work... I'll PM ya, it's easier than here!! :)

BlueApple
09-15-2011, 04:09 PM

I double checked and I am using the same IP in the .ls file as is listed in my Backburner Server settings... I don't believe that is where the problem is.

How do I run the .bat from the command line? Do I just enter cmdjob followed with a string for the file path to the .bat file?

zardoz
09-15-2011, 04:18 PM
actually you can open a cmd window and drag the .bat there and press enter

zardoz
09-15-2011, 04:25 PM
well I'm pretty sure you can run .exes from your network drives because that's how max works...
at work I have Lightwave installed in my machine, but I have lightwave's folder mapped as a network drive, and everything is configured to this drive (even lightwave's configs, etc).
When I run lightwave (to do my work, model, etc...) I run it from my mapped drive too (it's actually running from my C: drive but everything is configured to a mapped drive.
This way all nodes run the same lwsn.exe from this mapped drive. You only need one lightwave installation (better than max hey?).

about network settings I can't help much because I don't understand that stuff. I kind of had the path opened for me because xsi works the same way than lw with bb and they setup xsi before, so I just had to copy what they did.

lardbros
09-15-2011, 04:50 PM
Max doesn't run an exe from a network drive... it runs from the local drive on each node. This is also how amleto works too, but it copies all the LW exe's to each node and all the configs when it's first run.

Sooo, I definitely won't be able to do that at work... so will need to install LW on each node. The biggest issue for me is that my machine has to be turned off over night, and the hard drive locked away... so therefore the nodes won't have access to the mapped drive.

If I install LW on each node, it should still work though shouldn't it?

Also, what are the %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 bits in the batch file? That bit makes no sense to me :)

zardoz
09-15-2011, 05:13 PM
ok...so that's a total different setup than mine.

about the %1 etc...hmmm that's a hard one for me. I guess those are the parameters that will be replaced with the content directory, scene file, etc for lwsn.exe
these are the parameters for lwsn.exe, so I suppose those %1, etc are to be replaced by this.
[-d<CONTENT DIRECTORY>] <SCENE FILE> <FIRST FRAME> <LAST FRAME> [<FRAME STEP>]

lardbros
09-15-2011, 05:43 PM
Maybe I'll give it another go anyway... See what I can get.

Many, many thanks for giving us the scripts though zardoz, I'll keep trying until I get great that works :-)

geo_n
09-15-2011, 07:36 PM
Couldn't get the script to work same as blueapple. A job folder with files created. The command window pops up after pressing lw2backburner. Strange thing is it says collada import failed. looking for adaptors,etc.

paulhart
09-15-2011, 08:06 PM
LardBros, Hello...
Not sure of your understanding, but let me offer this. You need to obviously have Lightwave on the station with the dongle, that's it, with Amleto. You install Amleto on your main station as Server (I would do both so I can also run a client on that station) then install the Client on the other stations. Start up the Server, then start up the Client on the same station, and notice that it shows up in the Server window. Each client station, including this one, should have a "temp" folder designated for it's own usage. When the Client starts up for the first time, it will copy over ALL of the relevant files it needs to this temp folder for local use. This includes the program files, the configs, and all of the plugins. If I change my configs or plugins, the next time I run a client, it sees the differences and updates as needed. It then states that it is done with setup. I then throw a job into the queue, and watch as the client picks it up and starts to render. Do the same thing to one of the other stations. It will go through the same setup and copying, the first time through, then it will pick up the job and start on the next set of frames designated. I use TightVNC to be able to monitor my other stations from the Main one, works like a charm. The good thing about TightVNC, is if you can get it to work, then your stations are configured to be seen by Amleto, nice test. The other part of the equation is that I have the content folder on a mapped network drive, and all of the final frames go to a folder on that same drive. Hopefully, some of this discussion will jar it loose for you. It took me a couple of stumbles, none of which I can now attribute to Amleto, just me understanding what was needed.
Paul

lardbros
09-16-2011, 01:08 AM
LardBros, Hello...
Not sure of your understanding, but let me offer this. You need to obviously have Lightwave on the station with the dongle, that's it, with Amleto. You install Amleto on your main station as Server (I would do both so I can also run a client on that station) then install the Client on the other stations. Start up the Server, then start up the Client on the same station, and notice that it shows up in the Server window. Each client station, including this one, should have a "temp" folder designated for it's own usage. When the Client starts up for the first time, it will copy over ALL of the relevant files it needs to this temp folder for local use. This includes the program files, the configs, and all of the plugins. If I change my configs or plugins, the next time I run a client, it sees the differences and updates as needed. It then states that it is done with setup. I then throw a job into the queue, and watch as the client picks it up and starts to render. Do the same thing to one of the other stations. It will go through the same setup and copying, the first time through, then it will pick up the job and start on the next set of frames designated. I use TightVNC to be able to monitor my other stations from the Main one, works like a charm. The good thing about TightVNC, is if you can get it to work, then your stations are configured to be seen by Amleto, nice test. The other part of the equation is that I have the content folder on a mapped network drive, and all of the final frames go to a folder on that same drive. Hopefully, some of this discussion will jar it loose for you. It took me a couple of stumbles, none of which I can now attribute to Amleto, just me understanding what was needed.
Paul

Yep, I got it sorted thanks... It's exactly to the letter how I have it set up, and is the same for backburner, it works like a charm. Just having issues with amleto ignoring my adaptive sampling settings... Weird.

The confusion now is we can't get backburner to pick up Lightwave jobs, using a script zardoz has kindly provided!

lardbros
09-16-2011, 02:50 AM
Okay... Zardoz. I've opened the .bat for the job, and it comes up with an error stating that it:

"Cannot create job: Authentication failed for client's login information"

Oh dear... maybe it's something to do with a batch file trying to get through the firewall? Hmmmm, don't have a clue now... any thoughts? :)

lardbros
09-16-2011, 03:31 AM
Right... I've changed tack...I've gone straight to the render manager computer, rather than trying to send it from my workstation, and i've got the job visible in backburner... woooo!

Problem is, nothing is rendering, I get the error: "Failed to create log file": and then the error has the path of the project folder.

Again, no real clue... but backburner isn't the best sometimes at giving error message! :)

lardbros
09-16-2011, 05:58 AM
So, I've now altered the job batch file to put the log files to be put on my C: drive rather than a network path, and it creates a log file on my C: drive.

Why can't the batch file create a log file on my network drive? I'm sure this is because of the security here...

Anyway
The log file now has lots of weird characters after a certain point of the file paths.

Now, I know there's a limit of 250 characters or something in a filepath name... so maybe this is causing issues, as we have quite long filepaths :( It can't be helped though, but is there a way round this?

Wonder if someone really smart could have a go at re-working this script and batch file so it worked perfectly, with little or no setup.

Guess that's amleto, but currently it's not doing what I need with the adaptive sampling, and there's no way round it that I can see.

lardbros
09-16-2011, 06:36 AM
Now, more:

The actual log file says:

'c:\program' is not recognised as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

Process exited with error code (1) on 'operable program or batch file.'

So, it definitely getting stuck on the looking for my LW install, and am guessing this is because of screamernet? I've heard it hates spaces in file names. Is there a way round this at all? Aside from moving my LW install?

BlueApple
09-16-2011, 07:25 AM
When I drag the .bat file to the command window I get an error like lardbros. See attached.

I'm wondering, is the space between "Program" and "Files" a problem? Is that file path supposed to be submitted as a string with quotes around it, or do I need to use ASCII for the space?

lardbros
09-16-2011, 07:40 AM
When I drag the .bat file to the command window I get an error like lardbros. See attached.

I'm wondering, is the space between "Program" and "Files" a problem? Is that file path supposed to be submitted as a string with quotes around it, or do I need to use ASCII for the space?

To get around that I copied the needed LW files to a folder on the C: drive without any spaces in it...

Now I get the errors with loading. To get this i had to redirect the job batch file to send the log files to my local drive too, as it was erroring trying to create a log file...

The loading errors are:

Error: Can't open scene file.
Error: Plug-in COLLADASceneImport failed to start.
Error: Plug-in FBXSceneImport failed to start.
Error: Unknown scene file format.

And that's it...

I've got all my configs set up correctly, and told LWSN to look in the same place via that batch file, and it still creates this problem :(

Amleto took me about an hour to set up, after a couple of teething and firewall issues, now wish it worked perfectly, but I'm sure it will soon enough! :)

zardoz
09-16-2011, 07:49 AM
If it can't write files like the log file it has to do with permissions...that I can't help because I don't know sh*t about networks...I also had those problems here (and sometimes still have) when the network manager changes permissions. Thank god when it happens it happens to everyone so it gets fixed quickly.

so now I'm sure the script is working and most of the problems have to do with the paths in the .bat files...I've been there too and by trial and error I managed to fix these problems. I'm pretty sure this has to do with lack of quotes somewhere...windows is trying to run C:\Program...
can you post the contents of this .bat here?

lardbros
09-16-2011, 08:43 AM
Pretty sure the issues with the paths are from screamernet... ultimately the plugin is still using LWSN, so it's still going to have those issues on running. Amleto gets round this by copying everything to a temp directory on each machine.

I managed to get it all working after I scanned the plugins again in the servers Lightwave, but now it doesn't work again... always moaning that it can't write log files. :(

Just have to sit tight and hope amleto gets fixed pretty soon :) Can't whinge, it's free afterall!

Thanks for helping so much zardoz! I've been at this all day today... and haven't got very far. The last straw was finding out that it only renders using a quarter of the cores on the 4 processor machine! Bloody, ruddy nightmare! Amleto, again, is easy to sort out in this regard!

zardoz
09-16-2011, 08:51 AM
I think you should try to setup this in a single computer. If you manage to have backburner working this way it means it's working ok. Then try to extrapolate to a network...if you get errors it has to be related to permissions and stuff like that. This from a guy who can't program to save is life...

lardbros
09-16-2011, 11:13 AM
Thanks zardoz, that's what I was trying... Just been at it all day trying to get it working on one machine. I don't have access to any file permissions etc and think that the batch files being generated are being blocked by user policy setup on the domain. We even have issues installing Autodesk products, the installers don't work unless we create the deployment on our local drive and get IT to momentarily alter our registry settings with a bath file before we install... It's a nightmare... But amleto seems to work okay as long as you let it through the firewall. Trouble is we can't go asking to let any batch file generated on our network to be allowed through as its a major security risk :(

zardoz
09-16-2011, 05:16 PM
well if you can't run .bat files this won't work. it depends on the bat files, and it's the same for running xsi or after effects

geo_n
10-17-2011, 01:27 AM
Anyone tried to do a framestep or arbitrary render with backburner? It seems not to work and backburner is always rendering all frames. I don't know lscript so I don't know which part in the lscript is wrong.
Shame, lightwave renders insanely fast on backburner. :D

cyroz
01-24-2012, 01:48 PM
Hey Zardoz,
your script look terrific, but I just can't download it, is it possible for someone to reup it?

Thanks in advance.

zardoz
01-24-2012, 05:58 PM
I'll try to reup it again maybe tomorrow.

GraphXs
01-24-2012, 06:12 PM
Great, Thanks Zardoz!

cyroz
01-24-2012, 06:40 PM
Thanks a lot Zardoz!

geo_n
01-24-2012, 07:10 PM
I'll try to reup it again maybe tomorrow.

Btw, were you able to narrow down the error with the script? Since we talked about it before I haven't really been able to fix it and just avoided using stepped frames. :D

Come on NT take a look at this script from zardoz. It won't take hours of your time and the benefit is integration with AD rendermanagement.

Might want to take a look at this. AE to backburner
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?p=1213763#post1213763

zardoz
01-25-2012, 03:30 AM
geo_n, can you share the script here? do you still have the .zip file that I posted here before?
Because I lost my domain and I can't download it from my host (by ftp I see the files but when I download them everything is corrupt...) because my version of the script is a bit altered to suit our file servers, etc and that one was a bit more clean. I'll try to clean it again and post it here, but if you still have the original files you can post them here.
thanks

EDIT: ok I managed to find it so here it is. I think it's the same as the one posted previously.

zardoz
01-25-2012, 03:59 AM
Btw, were you able to narrow down the error with the script? Since we talked about it before I haven't really been able to fix it and just avoided using stepped frames. :D

Actually no...Mostly I do print work and when I render animations I never render with steps...

Maybe I can ask a friend to help me with this, he is a hell of a programmer and he did a few plugins for lightwave, even a render manager that was all drag and drop...it was pretty good.

cheers

lardbros
01-25-2012, 05:26 AM
Actually no...Mostly I do print work and when I render animations I never render with steps...

Maybe I can ask a friend to help me with this, he is a hell of a programmer and he did a few plugins for lightwave, even a render manager that was all drag and drop...it was pretty good.

cheers

Wow... now that sounds very useful!! :D Wouldn't mind getting my hands on that too! :D

zardoz
01-25-2012, 07:31 AM
you could even assign different jobs to each cpu in a single machine...pretty good hey?

cyroz
01-25-2012, 11:22 AM
Thanks a lot Zardoz for this,
I just can't have it to send to BB, the BAT return this :
Job attachement : Unable to find executable... Grrrrr!!!

By the way, we only hav BB 2012 here, and won't be allowed to replace it with 2008 I think.

Does anybody managed to have it working with BB 2012?

Thx in advance.

zardoz
01-25-2012, 05:26 PM
well I just tried with backburner 2012 and it works ok. So what I advise is to run the bat files generated in a cmd line to see well what are the error messages.
If you get that error check the job folder in your content directory. Open the (project name)_Job.bat and make sure that the paths there are right. The path for the cmdjob.exe, the path for the tasklist - _Frames.txt, the log too, the LwBackburner.bat file and the .lws file. See that all the paths to these files are right. Once more, use the command line to run these .bat to see what you can fix.

geo_n
01-25-2012, 06:16 PM
Sorry just read this and wasn't able to upload script.
Works on backburner all version afaik I've tested it up to 3dmax 9 backburner.
Make sure all permission are set. And the OS can't be a non ultimate edition. There's something that I encountered with win 7 non pro. I googled the issue and answers are some features in budget windows version are turned off.

cyroz
01-26-2012, 03:22 AM
Zardoz, thanks a lot far taking time to help.
I triple checked everything, but it still doesn't work....
here is what I've got so far, when launching the batch in command window...

Thx

zardoz
01-26-2012, 03:37 AM
if you run the lwbackburn.bat (it is in the lightwave folder) in the command line, can it find lwsn.exe?

cyroz
01-26-2012, 04:11 AM
Yes it does launch lwsn.exe
Here is what I've got...

zardoz
01-26-2012, 04:56 AM
ok then that is correct because what the other bat does is append this one with the parameters to render the scene file.

it's hard to determine what is the problem...I remember what I did in the beginning was to run every .bat in the command line to read the errors and try to change the paths in the bat files and the script to the right places, also make sure that every computer in the network can see all the mapped drives. this way I managed to get this working. But it involved a lot of trial and error.

By the way I'm going to talk to my friend (programmer) to see if we can fix the step problem.

cyroz
01-26-2012, 07:25 AM
Thanks Zardoz,
yes all computer can see the mapped drive (in fact that's our file server at work-7To raid disk server), I have screamernet working this way, also Max 2k12 with BB....

geo_n
02-07-2012, 08:25 PM

cheers

Any luck updating the script? :D

zardoz
03-09-2012, 04:08 PM
nope. but Jure from the kray forums did it! eheh
http://www.kraytracing.com/joomla/forum/index.php?f=6&t=2494&rb_v=viewtopic
so thank the man and download it there.
they also posted a video of kray using this script
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmfLk8_M-SI

geo_n
03-09-2012, 09:43 PM
nope. but Jure from the kray forums did it! eheh
http://www.kraytracing.com/joomla/forum/index.php?f=6&t=2494&rb_v=viewtopic
so thank the man and download it there.
they also posted a video of kray using this script
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmfLk8_M-SI

That is actually me that made the video and showed to kray forum that the bnr script works with kray but with one error and Jure fixed it in less than half a day.:D

zardoz
03-12-2012, 08:33 AM
once again Jure updated the script to make it more user friendly
so go here and thank the man
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=126411

lardbros
03-13-2012, 07:03 AM
once again Jure updated the script to make it more user friendly
so go here and thank the man
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=126411

Brilliant!!! Thanks to everyone working on this script! Will give it a go today!

geo_n
03-13-2012, 07:48 AM
Thanks again Jure.