Hi all!

My latest work (rendered with fryrender):

I hope you'll like it!

Cheers,
Chris

eagleeyed
09-12-2011, 07:54 AM
Hey there Chris, :)

Looks really nice, love the floor texture especially. :) Did you make that yourself or bought, can never get them right myself.

Not sure how much critique you want so will offer feedback, modelling and the textures are really nice, a bit of noise in the render though.

1). The pillars and the walls seem to join the roof too perfectly, could do with a little more detail there, edging maybe. Not sure if thats the style you are going for though. :)

2). Cupboards, not sure if based on a actual product. In any case, they look like they would be extremely hard to open, especially the bottom middle one. Is the top row large draws?

3) In the second image, where the staircase is, seems a little too bright, blown out.

4) Second image again, the rug seems to take in a bit too much light.

Really love the bookcase and composition of the images, it works really well. Looking really nice. :)

Nicolas Jordan
09-12-2011, 11:15 AM
Nice renders! I really like how the floor looks on the second image. :thumbsup:

ch.schrul
09-12-2011, 01:13 PM
Thank you very much for the constructive feedback! I greatly appreciate it!

Looks really nice, love the floor texture especially. :) Did you make that yourself or bought, can never get them right myself.

Jump over to arroway-textures.com and pick the wood flooring collection! They are just perfect!

... a bit of noise in the render though.

Yes, that's true. But I like somehow those little "imperfections". :)

1). The pillars and the walls seem to join the roof too perfectly, could do with a little more detail there, edging maybe. Not sure if thats the style you are going for though. :)

VERY good point! Thanks for that - I'll keep that in my mind for the next projects!

2). Cupboards, not sure if based on a actual product. In any case, they look like they would be extremely hard to open, especially the bottom middle one. Is the top row large draws?

They are based on a german kitchen designer called "poggenpohl". You have to push the front and then with a magnetic release they open. Very cool...

3) In the second image, where the staircase is, seems a little too bright, blown out.

Absolutely agreed!

4) Second image again, the rug seems to take in a bit too much light.

Yep, the same problem exists with the couch. I'll have to learn more on displaced cloth materials in fry...

Again, thank you very much for your great suggestions!

Chris

ch.schrul
09-12-2011, 01:15 PM
Nice renders! I really like how the floor looks on the second image. :thumbsup:

Thank you! Yes, it was a very important point for the client - to have a good look of the floor and how the light "plays" with it.

Chris

archijam
09-12-2011, 01:44 PM
Schön! :)

My main crit is the Corb (or Perriand/Jeunneret), which is a little too perfect. I am comparing it to ours in the corner of the room, which looks like a black, flat slug .. ;)

ch.schrul
09-12-2011, 02:05 PM
Schön! :)

My main crit is the Corb (or Perriand/Jeunneret), which is a little too perfect. I am comparing it to ours in the corner of the room, which looks like a black, flat slug .. ;)

Merci :)

I think it's time to purchase such a "black flat slug" for myself to have a real reference... ;)

Chris

Svenart
09-14-2011, 05:16 AM
looks very good. Can you tell us some more details (rendertime, fryrender settings)? How is the import in fryrender?

ch.schrul
09-14-2011, 09:18 AM
looks very good. Can you tell us some more details (rendertime, fryrender settings)? How is the import in fryrender?

Thank you, Svenart!

For this project, I worked only with the physical sky and sun and without any artifical lights. That's the reason why the rendertimes where very slow: It was rendered on three i7 2600K @4.2GHz and one dual w5580 @3.4GHz and took around 8 hours for the final 5'300 pixels resolution.

Scene stats:

- around 3.5million polys
- 64 different materials
- ram usage: 6.5GB

Fry settings:
well, it's very simple - I had to set the time and place for the lighting, set the cam like you would do with a real cam (iso: 400, f-stop: 5.6, shutter speed: 150) and that's it!

LW export/ Fry import:
very simple too - it even exports your scene objects with subd meshes (it triangulates the mesh very efficient)! The only thing you have to keep in mind: fry has an own material editor. You can make the material setup through the plugin in LW or directly in Fry.

Chris