PDA

View Full Version : Gunshell with Particles

K-Dawg
09-09-2011, 02:39 PM
Hi there,

I was working on something yesterday and generated some particles that act like been shot from a gun. I then, with DP Instance, instanced a gun shell I made and it worked fine. The problem though, I somehow can't make the particles bounce and roll etc like a shell would when fired and hit the ground.

How do I get particles to "roll" and "flip" and "bounce" so that the instanced gun shells seem to have motion instead of sliding along the ground like on ice?

Greetz

Clemens
09-10-2011, 01:32 PM
As far as I know, there is no possibility to give the particles something like a collision shape. Have you tried a solution with Hard Body FX and a collision plane on the ground?

lardbros
09-10-2011, 02:01 PM
Yeah, this is a limitation of particles as far as I know... using FX Linker will make the shells come out of the emitter but it won't respect the actual object shape, it will just react like you say.

HardFX will do this, but you'll have to set up the objects manually, rather than emitting them automatically.

Unless there is some clever way of adding hardFX to a particle that has FXLinker applied? I've never tried!

jeric_synergy
09-10-2011, 02:19 PM
That's a tasty question....

Mr Rid
09-10-2011, 03:46 PM
Dont bother. iBounce?

jeric_synergy
09-10-2011, 05:40 PM
Dont bother. iBounce?
Hasn't shipped yet, no?

(I coulda sworn there was some parameter that would allow you to designate a collision primitive around particles.. ::hedscratch:: .... maybe another package......)

lardbros
09-11-2011, 12:13 PM
You can make the particles a sphere, but think that's it! Shame really... but 3dsmax is the same with it's particles, they cannot be controlled by proper dynamics, even with geometry as the particles :( (There may be a way round this in max, but not that I've found)

jeric_synergy
09-11-2011, 02:40 PM
I disremember: can you use HardFX after imparting an initial velocity to a mesh?

K-Dawg
09-12-2011, 07:35 AM
Sorry for not replying. Busy weekend...

Well iBounce is not an option for me cause I don't LW 10.

Too bad particles are limited with rotations. I thought there was just a setting I was missing.

What I did do to get the impression it was rotating, unfortunately not bouncing, in the particles settings on one of the option tabs there is a setting for rotating and scaling. I added some random rotation there and that worked fine, problem is they don't stop. No envelop setting either.

I was wondering if there might be a way to rotate the instances with DPInstance instead and control them that way also letting them stop when particle motion is finished. The bounce.... well I guess I have to figure something out for that, but first the random rotation needs a go.

Greetz

jeric_synergy
09-12-2011, 03:00 PM
??? I'd think that bouncing would be EASIER than rotating. ???

Mr Rid
09-12-2011, 05:25 PM
PFX always collide as spheres (may scale the sphere size under particle size) so they will not correctly mimic the collision shape of a shell/tube. A collision ground set to bounce will not allow particles to come to rest unless you add a Fix value (between 1 and 2) to the collision ground. But then particles stop too abruptly.
98097 (this uses FX_linker)

Same problem with HardFX pieces- the objects tend to jitter around on the ground indefinitely.
98096 I found that if I save and reload the scene, then the pieces wont jitter with the first calculation. But then each time I run the calculation after that the pieces jitterbug. 'Stop By Stabilizer' needs more functionality.

NT, please fix some day.

K-Dawg
09-13-2011, 02:19 AM
??? I'd think that bouncing would be EASIER than rotating. ???
I never said anything close to it would be easier, just that I want to focus on the rotation first.

PFX always collide as spheres (may scale the sphere size under particle size) so they will not correctly mimic the collision shape of a shell/tube. A collision ground set to bounce will not allow particles to come to rest unless you add a Fix value (between 1 and 2) to the collision ground. But then particles stop too abruptly.
98097 (this uses FX_linker)

Same problem with HardFX pieces- the objects tend to jitter around on the ground indefinitely.
98096 I found that if I save and reload the scene, then the pieces wont jitter with the first calculation. But then each time I run the calculation after that the pieces jitterbug. 'Stop By Stabilizer' needs more functionality.

NT, please fix some day.
Wow that is very nice. My test is far from something like that. It's just an emitter a few inches above the plane shooting particles :D

I scaled the particle sizes up with show particle size activated and did give the collision plane some friction (no fix, it stopped the movement abruptly). Unfortunately they didn't bounce though.

Well I still didn't get around the rotation. I might try inside DPInstance next with some nodes and see what I get. I'm sure I'll fail. I'm not a genius like Denis or BryPhi. Denis to program that and BryPhi to use it the way he does :D

Greetz

Mr Rid
09-13-2011, 04:31 AM
...Unfortunately they didn't bounce though.

The higher you turn up Bounce/Bind Power, the more particles should bounce. I turn up Roughness to have particles randomly bounce in varied directions, like shells landing at different angles.

K-Dawg
09-14-2011, 04:00 AM
Thanks for the info. I played around with that. Not there but close. The only problem I get is when I raise the Bounce, the particles jiggle at the spot they land.

I'm making some progress on the Instances though. I'M taking the Position from the Particle Info Node from DPKIT and feed that to a few nodes (sorry for bad explanation, I can't open LW right now) to drive the rotation. Unfortunately they behave weired. I wanted to use the velocity output to drive the rotation, but that somehow does not work.

Greetz

Mr Rid
09-14-2011, 03:18 PM
Thanks for the info. I played around with that. Not there but close. The only problem I get is when I raise the Bounce, the particles jiggle at the spot they land.

Greetz

Right, thats one of the problems with PFX I was pointing out. 'Bounce' means particles wont ever stop moving unless you turn up Fix, but then Fix stops them too suddenly. You may jump thru a lot of workaround hoops but PFX are too rudimentary for such things, unless seen only briefly, from a distance, with lotsa camera movement, moblur, and dancing monkees to distract.