PDA

View Full Version : Procedural Textures

Richard Hebert
09-08-2011, 07:34 PM
Hi Everyone,

I've just upgraded computer systems and was wondering if I should be seeing procedural textures in OpenGL. I was under the impression that these should be visible in Layout. Thanks for any thoughts.

Richard

steve0077
09-08-2011, 09:16 PM
Try GLSL Shaders in the display options panel GL tab.

prometheus
09-12-2011, 12:44 AM
Yes GLSL shader setting is what is needed..however, Thereīs too many procedurals that do not work, basicly all procedurals from
Fbm noise and down are not working, dented doesnīt work either, nor dpontīs textures

nor crumple or crust,fractal,dunes ...etc..in fact it would be easier to name those that are working.

your best bet to work with them would probably be to use VPR, would be nice if newtek could fix these issues thou, it tend to be a feature not properly developed.

The good thing about open gl versus tweaking in VPR, you do not have to set up a preview and vpr render to see animated procedurals, open gl Is the real time thing, not VPR.

A tip..make your main color black, since the procedural color is by default set to white...otherwise you wonīt see them properly.

Michael

Richard Hebert
09-12-2011, 07:06 AM
That's what I discovered just yesterday. Some are working with OGL but many do not. Has this been addressed in LW 10?

Richard

prometheus
09-12-2011, 07:40 AM
That's what I discovered just yesterday. Some are working with OGL but many do not. Has this been addressed in LW 10?

Richard

Nope..not in LW 10 and probably not in 10.1..have to check at home but I donīt think so.

Ivé noticed that some animateable stuff wonīt work..ripples work to see it animated, but the smokey turbulence doesnīt work when hitting the play button.

Also procedural textures layers set to displacement beneath another procedural doesnīt work properly in open gl either.

Michael

gerry_g
09-12-2011, 12:16 PM
LW10.1 VPR system makes OGL look kind of quaint, ok not perfect but if you want the speed of seeing what you're doing more or less as yo do it upgrade to it if you haven't use instead if yo have and be done with problem once and for all

Richard Hebert
09-12-2011, 02:58 PM
New and Improved viper may be the way to go. Have to save up for LW 10 though. Won't be upgrading software until beginning of next year. Thanks to all of you for taking the time to address this issue.

Richard

prometheus
09-12-2011, 11:15 PM
LW10.1 VPR system makes OGL look kind of quaint, ok not perfect but if you want the speed of seeing what you're doing more or less as yo do it upgrade to it if you haven't use instead if yo have and be done with problem once and for all

Well thereīs a reason open gl still is in use, It is real time...vpr is not

You simple canīt hit the play button and watch vpr in real time can we?

so watching animated procedurals in REAL time open gl is very valuable, until something else comes along, unfortunatly the procedurals donīt work fully out with open gl.

Nothing is perfect...only god can create perfect things the persians thought... and weaved some errors in their beautiful carpets.
I hope that is not the Philosofy Newtek is working by:D

Michael

Sensei
09-13-2011, 12:53 AM
You simple canīt hit the play button and watch vpr in real time can we?

That depends on scene complexity and computer speed.
Procedural textures in OpenGL won't guarantee it too.

so watching animated procedurals in REAL time open gl is very valuable, until something else comes along, unfortunatly the procedurals donīt work fully out with open gl.

And they will never will, by their nature.
Procedural textures don't have UV maps! Which inform which texel is assigned to which spot on object surface. They have infinite resolution. OpenGL texture must display texture with constant width and height, generated by cpu to gfx card memory. If you want good quality, cpu can generate f.e. procedural texture with 4096 x 4096 texels = 16,7 million texels! If user will move camera closer to surface, it'll start showing big blended pixels, when VPR or regular render will have in the same shot perfect quality..
Procedural don't have UVs, so to display them, displaying procedure would have to have custom made unwrapping routine.. The worser routine (f.e. atlas mapping), the more pixels from these f.e. 4096 x 4096 would be wasted, but taking memory on gfx card.
Procedural might not tile, you can have -infinite to +infinite in XYZ completely not repeatable values.. How do you want to display something like this? Not possible to bake it to texture..
Animation of procedural textures- how many frames you want to cache? In regular memory or in gfx memory? 4096 x 4096 in RGBA 32 bit per texel without mip mapping is taking 64 MB of memory. 1 GB gfx memory can hold 16 frames of animated texture of such resolution.. or 16 layers.. do you want to bake all layers to one texture, or each layer separately?
and change made to any setting of procedural texture have to cause regeneration of whole 4096 * 4096 = 16 million texels.. user would have to wait prior seeing change in OpenGL viewport, depending how fast procedural texture evaluation routine is fast. Remember some Renderman collection textures? They don't even show up immediately in Surface Editor!

Richard Hebert
09-13-2011, 07:06 AM
Wow...