PDA

View Full Version : Datalink using a database with Livetext 2.1

apickard
09-08-2011, 06:00 PM
I'm sure someone else has run into a situation where this may be useful and possibly even found a solution.

I have a TC Broadcast with Livetext 2.1 on a laptop. All graphics for a football game come from the laptop. All 90+ players have a lower third prebuilt with some basic stats. Each lower third's page number is the kids jersey number. We fill in the blank pages in between with the important scoreboard and replay sponsor ad. Using a properly programmed XKeys keypad, it is EXTREMELY easy to recall a players lower third for display while in replay for a closeup shot of the player making play when replay is done. Now, I HATE updating the stats every week. Assuming (due to lack of knowledge on my part) that datalink will force an update call to a database when the page is loaded, is it possible to send a variable such as the LT page number in a query to the SQL call? This would allow me to have 90+ pages in LT but with nothing but variables in the pages. As the page was requested, the SQL would look something like this: "SELECT rush_yards FROM stats WHERE num = %LT_page_num %" and would populate the lower third with the up to date stats, even the tackle he just made.

If there is an easier way to do what I am doing, please let me know. Also, just like most there is almost a zero budget for other software.

Thanks for any input provided.

** I uploaded a screen shot of my screen for a better example. It does not have the actual stats in now but we are wanting to pull them from our stat system the way I described. We currently have scores uploading live to digital billboards around the city from the system so I know its possible. **

ZachSchuster
09-08-2011, 07:36 PM
Just curious, is this for high school or college level?

apickard
09-08-2011, 08:14 PM
High School

ZachSchuster
09-09-2011, 09:24 AM
You might be able to simplify things by creating an excel spreadsheet to query the database. There are a few folks here who have created spreadsheets where you can select a player cell in the spreadsheet and that will export all of their stats in to a datalink text file. Instead of sorting through 90 CG pages (say nothing of your other various full screens, etc...), you only have 1 page for headshots that you populate with the excel file output.

The question is if you can get excel to query the database. I don't have enough experience in that area to know for sure.

akscooter
09-16-2011, 02:35 PM
excel can query odbc connections, but not directly via sql (from what I've learned). I've configured excel to query an access db.

I'm currently working on updating my spreadsheet solution which pulls data from Pointstreak into an excel spreadsheet, which then updates a txt file in the watch folder for LT. LT then updates the lower 3rd immediately.

Not sure if you use pointstreak or not, but getting excel to query a web page is actually very easy.

Hope this helps,
Jon

SBowie
09-16-2011, 02:49 PM
Shame that we can't just address queries directly to Access (or better yet some nice friendly open source db app). That would make my day. I started out and databases an age ago (Paradox), but got away from it (woohoo!) In retrospect, unlike comparable tech database tools seem to have gotten less friendly over the years, to the point I have wondered at times if it is not deliberately obscure.