PDA

View Full Version : wanting to buy Aura Video Paint

renderwerx
09-08-2011, 05:50 AM
I have some genuine interest in buying Aura video Paint.
Where can I get it?

Phil
09-08-2011, 05:54 AM
I think it was discontinued, but there is the successor - TVPaint :

http://www.tvpaint.com/

SBowie
09-08-2011, 06:25 AM
If you need a copy of Aura, you'll have to find a dusty copy on a dealer shelf, or hunt around for a used one for sale. In a pinch, you could pick up a second-hand VT, which comes with Aura from VT[2] on. (That would require the VT to be installed in a PCI slot as a giant dongle, but maybe you'd find some other utility in it to offset that).

Snosrap
09-08-2011, 07:33 AM
Or possibly look for Mirage - much improved over Aura. Bauhuas lost it's distribution rights and went under, but like Steve said maybe there is a dusty copy laying around somwhere. TV Paint is the current Aura, but IMO it's too expensive and support comes from overseas. Aura - Mirage are the fastest painting apps I've ever used - nothing and I repeat, I've ever used can keep up with my paint strokes like these two apps.

Baba
09-08-2011, 08:27 AM
I have to disagree with Snosrap on this one. Considering 'the bang for the buck' I don't think TVP is too expensive. I use it every day for 2d animating and painting and have yet to come across a package that can rival with it. TVP is now version 9.5, Mirage was version 7, Aura 6. The progress TVP has made since the Mirage days is considerable. Support wise I have no complaints and remember that LW support for us Europeans has always come from overseas :D
edit: since Renderwerx is in Berlin support doesn't come from overseas. TVP is based in Metz.

Titus
09-08-2011, 09:09 AM
Another vote for TVP. We (well, our partners) use it daily for animatics and some compositing stuff.

Shabazzy
09-08-2011, 09:22 AM
I have to agree with Baba. I purchased TVPaint 9.5 Professional in June this year having never used it before, and have been getting familiar with it over the past couple of weeks and I have to say, I am MIGHTILY impressed with the power of this tool for animation work.

I've used Aura DV in the past and although it's impressive, it ain't got nothing on TVPaint.

I know, I've only scratched the surface of it, but knowing that it's got additional tools like 2D pixel tracking of video footage who's paths can then be exported into LW and particle effects built-in (not yet sure how good they are, but it has them), excellent keying tools, masking tools, compositing tools, audio tools, effects tools and much, much more, all just waiting for me to get my grubby hands on, make it more than excellent value for money IMO.

Aura's dead. Long live TVP!

Shabazzy

SBowie
09-08-2011, 09:35 AM
but knowing that it's got additional tools like 2D pixel tracking of video footage who's paths can then be exported into LW ...Not to disagree that the years have brought a lot of advancement, Aura does have the 2D pixel tracker and LW export feature. (He Who Still Uses Mirage Nearly Every Hour of Every Day).

Baba
09-08-2011, 10:36 AM
He Who Still Uses Mirage Nearly Every Hour of Every Day
I would consider upgrading sheriff, you're not still using LW 7.5 every day are you?
A friend of mine didn't feel the need to upgrade either untill he saw me using the animation disc (rotating canvas) I have connected to the touchring of my intuos :)

calilifestyle
09-08-2011, 10:44 AM
My vote is for Snosrap, TVP is way to expensive. But you will not be able to get a copy of Mirage2d, since it has a dongle and the guys over at tvp will not provide you with a key. I was really hoping that Newtek would pop out a new version of Aura. oh well that was long time go.

SBowie
09-08-2011, 10:52 AM
I would consider upgrading sheriffYeah, not going to happen. Thankfully, my present capabilities are quite sufficient for my needs.

Shabazzy
09-08-2011, 10:54 AM
Yeah, not going to happen. Thankfully, my present capabilities are quite sufficient for my needs.

:lol:

If it ain't broke why fix it, eh Steve?

Intuition
09-08-2011, 12:04 PM
I have a boxed Aura video paint though I don't think it was the latest version. I think it was a 1.x version. Not sure if it would help you though, I also think the dongle is serial instead of USB.

Snosrap
09-08-2011, 12:06 PM
No doubt TVPaint is great and I was tempted to upgraded when they took it back from Bauhaus, but at $695 for an upgrade(I think it was in that neighborhood) it was just too much for me to stomach. Now they are no longer providing an upgrade path for Mirage users so it's a $1500 investment. Ouch! Not sure what I'll do when my LW upgrades revert to $695. :D That won't be so pleasant either.

Shabazzy
09-08-2011, 12:50 PM
Not sure what I'll do when my LW upgrades revert to $695. :D That won't be so pleasant either.

Time to ask Steve Bowie for a loan eh? He's obviously saved a packet from not upgrading. And I've heard he's super generous. :D

SBowie
09-08-2011, 02:17 PM
Time to ask Steve Bowie for a loan eh? He's obviously saved a packet from not upgrading. And I've heard he's super generous. :DMan, you need to hang out with a better crowd; your current circle of friends seems remarkably unreliable! :hey:

I do, actually, have an old Aura 2.x par port dongle sitting around, was thinking of trying to update it to a USB dongle just on general principles.

I've also got a couple of Mirage dongles, plus a 5-seat network one ... but I imagine the original question had to do with using Aura to prepare either VT/TC transitions or LiveSets, so kept quiet. Mirage actually doesn't seem to work all that well for compiling the latter (I never got around to figuring out why, but strongly suspect the same problem afflicts all later TVP products. I haven't done much with either SD transitions or LiveSets in the last few years). It might be something that could be circumvented, but I really haven't had the time. For those purposes, Aura would serve just as well, dated as it is.

I still think there are people out there with copies available. A few years ago I heard from a guy with 50 he wanted to move, but forgotten the details, sorry.