PDA

View Full Version : CheckMate Pro Lightwave

rcallicotte
09-08-2011, 03:34 AM
Pretty awesome models - http://www.turbosquid.com/Search/Index.cfm?keyword=&certification_id=5&application_ids=5

safetyman
09-08-2011, 05:02 AM
Those are good quality, but they seem expensive to me. Some of the animals aren't rigged. Are those prices typical? Do they sell well? If so, I need to get my butt in gear and start selling some stuff.

rcallicotte
09-08-2011, 05:22 AM
I don't know much more than the reputation for the Checkmate system to be a guarantee to the buyer. Not sure about the selling side. Maybe someone here will answer about it.

kopperdrake
09-08-2011, 06:55 AM
Dunno, but if I needed a lion then that price is defintiely affordable in comparison to modelling my own, and to produce a simple rig wouldn't be an issue with Maestro. So yes, I personally think those prices are decent.

Andyjaggy
09-08-2011, 09:23 AM
Turbosquid requires a minimum price of $149 for any model that is check pro certified.

GandB
09-08-2011, 09:40 AM
You also HAVE to be in their Squidguild at this time, to be considered for Checkmate (Pro or Lite); which I refuse to do. Really not a fan of TS's tactics over the last few years.

3DGFXStudios
09-08-2011, 09:54 AM
You also HAVE to be in their Squidguild at this time, to be considered for Checkmate (Pro or Lite); which I refuse to do. Really not a fan of TS's tactics over the last few years.

Why not? You'll get more money it you do ;)

vector
09-09-2011, 02:04 AM
Anyway, I think somebody at turbosquid must control what people sell

http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/airplane-3ds/192643

geo_n
09-09-2011, 04:29 AM

Some stolen models actually got checkmate approved. There's just too many models uploaded daily and too few technical people to deal with it. Not to mention those technical people have to know maya, 3dmax, lw, c4d, etc to be able to check the model thoroughly.
Its good turbosquid is trying to offer a standard for stock 3D but its just not possible to implement.

GandB
09-09-2011, 08:48 AM
Why not? You'll get more money it you do

It's actually been shown that people (not all) are losing money by having all their eggs in one basket. So no thanks. :thumbsup:

CaptainMarlowe
09-10-2011, 12:09 AM
+1

cresshead
09-10-2011, 06:01 AM
there is alternatives to turbosquid, the3dstudio.com, its-ming.com and http://www.daz3d.com/

rcallicotte
09-10-2011, 05:59 PM
This model isn't CheckMate Approved, unless I don't understand your point.

rcallicotte
09-10-2011, 06:01 PM
Really? Can you point us to a link or PDF showing how this is happening?

I know there's theft, but it's hard to believe that having a standard around what is being sold (the quality of what is being sold) is a lame idea. Or maybe that's not what you mean.

It's actually been shown that people (not all) are losing money by having all their eggs in one basket. So no thanks. :thumbsup:

GandB
09-10-2011, 08:07 PM
If a certain Forum (3D Stock Talk) didn't go down for some "unknown" reason, I could show you the very thread where people were tracking it over time.

allabulle
09-10-2011, 10:34 PM
If a certain Forum (3D Stock Talk) didn't go down for some "unknown" reason, I could show you the very thread where people were tracking it over time.

Could you elaborate a bit more on that matter, please?

GandB
09-10-2011, 11:13 PM
Elaborate on the site going down, or people making more by not joining the Squidguild?

allabulle
09-10-2011, 11:48 PM
Elaborate on the site going down, or people making more by not joining the Squidguild?

I'm more interested in the latter, but it seems to me that maybe knowing about the former could shed some extra light into the matter.

Bill1955
09-10-2011, 11:51 PM
They were too expensive before this new spin on quality control, now they are out of this hemisphere. This were the ridiculous prices of objects back in the 90's when Viewpoint was the only game in town and even there models that look so great in the catalog were usually very restricted to the way you could use them. Too many choices now. They must be catering to the Maya-Max market whose people seem to believe that if they don't pay a lot of money it's no worth using. I have never bought a model at turbosquid that didn't required massive editing before using. Just take a look at that site and see how many models look like they were made by 2nd graders with ridiculous asking prices.

safetyman
09-11-2011, 06:12 AM
Just take a look at that site and see how many models look like they were made by 2nd graders with ridiculous asking prices.

I agree. I was looking to create a robot model to put up for sale on the site and I was browsing there to see what other folks were creating and charging; I couldn't believe the amount of amateur-ish looking models that were for sale for over $50, and a good amount were over $100. Some of the models were downright awful. The only conclusion that I can make is that TS takes such a large chunk of the pie that artists have to charge outlandish prices just to get a minimum return on investment.

GandB
09-11-2011, 07:22 PM
Well; it appears the site owner's had some issues that they're hashing out with 3DStock Talk. I've found the thread that indicates going all in with TS is a bad idea for some:

http://3dstocktalk.home.pl/3dstocktalk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1163&sid=38ddc92428becbaad65328dbea5f1099

Most of the ones I've seen/heard that say otherwise, either never published outside of TS, or never published in a serious manner (ie., duplicating everything in their portfolio on multiple stock sites).

On top of that; the new "checkmate" system is only available for people in the Squidguild, making it even more difficult for non-squidguilders to sell their wares there. Lots of spin coming from TS's people; but draw your own conclusions.

geo_n
09-11-2011, 07:49 PM
Just take a look at that site and see how many models look like they were made by 2nd graders with ridiculous asking prices.

Yes, there are a lot of low quality models out there. But you really can't complain with the prices for the good quality models that range from 50 and above. Just think how many hours it takes to model a car, plane, humanoid and compute for the lowest possible per hour rate, say 7 bucks, like a low end wage. That's minimum 20 hours times 7USD = 120USD.
You really can't sell them at 10 USD gross range. You'll only be getting 4-6USD net and these models don't really sell like iphones. You'll be lucky if you sell 10 models a year.
Lw users are just too stingy, one reason why third party plugins is dying.

erikals
09-11-2011, 08:03 PM
third party plugins are doing fine me thinks... :]

Andyjaggy
09-12-2011, 09:24 AM
I don't think the prices are too high. Even if something only saves me 2 hours it is worth the 50 dollars.

Frankly I would rather that people error on the side of charging too much then too little, do you guys really want to bring down the value of 3D assets? Do you have something against keeping prices high and making yourself more valuable?

And if most of the assets look like crap, is that a bad thing for you? Won't that just make your models looks even better and let you charge even more money. I really don't understand what you are all complaining about.

dwburman
09-12-2011, 09:27 AM
Pond5.com (http://www.pond5.com/index.php?ref=dwburman) announced that they will be selling 3D assets as well. I don't see the option to do so on their site yet.

geo_n
09-12-2011, 08:18 PM
I don't think the prices are too high. Even if something only saves me 2 hours it is worth the 50 dollars.

Frankly I would rather that people error on the side of charging too much then too little, do you guys really want to bring down the value of 3D assets? Do you have something against keeping prices high and making yourself more valuable?

And if most of the assets look like crap, is that a bad thing for you? Won't that just make your models looks even better and let you charge even more money. I really don't understand what you are all complaining about.

Yeah I agree. And checkmate is supposed to bring that quality and price range back but I fear its impossible to do quality and price control when you're up against kids using 3d software to sell models for 5 bucks that are actually good quality. I heard photostock sites became almost useless to earn unless you sell thousands of photos monthly. This is not the case for 3d stock model. You're lucky to sell more than 10 a month.

geo_n
09-12-2011, 08:28 PM
Pond5.com (http://www.pond5.com/index.php?ref=dwburman) announced that they will be selling 3D assets as well. I don't see the option to do so on their site yet.

Its there. some people from 3dstocktalk were selling already.
Where is 3dstocktalk anyway.

GandB
09-12-2011, 08:37 PM
The site went down for a bit for unknown reasons; follow the link I just gave above.

Bill1955
09-12-2011, 09:53 PM
Yes, there are a lot of low quality models out there. But you really can't complain with the prices for the good quality models that range from 50 and above. Just think how many hours it takes to model a car, plane, humanoid and compute for the lowest possible per hour rate, say 7 bucks, like a low end wage. That's minimum 20 hours times 7USD = 120USD.
You really can't sell them at 10 USD gross range. You'll only be getting 4-6USD net and these models don't really sell like iphones. You'll be lucky if you sell 10 models a year.
Lw users are just too stingy, one reason why third party plugins is dying.

Yes I can complain because I haven't bought a model yet that didn't need fixing and I'm talking from a range of $50 to $350. The worst are the ones created in max.

3D02, The3DStudio, DigitalX, Dosch and many others do a better job of quality control than TS. My personal favorite is the 3DWorldClub where I can exchange my creations for creations of others, a win win in my book.

You ever think that your models are not selling because you are charging too much. Try lowering your price to the point that it seems like you are giving it away. A lot of people might decide to buy it even if they don't need it at the present time just because is so cheap. What you don't make in price you make up in volume. What do you have to loose, it ain't selling anyway. Take a look at messiah studio.

Bill1955
09-12-2011, 09:58 PM

I am only complaining about the quality control at TS. They are selling models that are crap and not at a very inexpensive price. You have the right to charge what you want for your models but take some pride in your work.

Bill1955
09-12-2011, 10:14 PM
Yeah I agree. And checkmate is supposed to bring that quality and price range back but I fear its impossible to do quality and price control when you're up against kids using 3d software to sell models for 5 bucks that are actually good quality. I heard photostock sites became almost useless to earn unless you sell thousands of photos monthly. This is not the case for 3d stock model. You're lucky to sell more than 10 a month.

The problem is not the kids making and selling good quality models at a cheap price, that is called competition which is always a good thing. The problems are the grown-ups that are making crappy models and demanding a high price.

As far as LW users being too stingy to buy plugins, I can't speak for anybody else but I buy just about every plugin that comes out for lightwave, some that I haven't even had the time to install and test. I buy them to support the developers if the price is reasonable. What I personally won't do is buy a plugin that cost more than the LW application or LW upgrade. I personally find that to be insane. But that's just me.

geo_n
09-12-2011, 10:45 PM
Yes I can complain because I haven't bought a model yet that didn't need fixing and I'm talking from a range of $50 to $350. The worst are the ones created in max.

3D02, The3DStudio, DigitalX, Dosch and many others do a better job of quality control than TS. My personal favorite is the 3DWorldClub where I can exchange my creations for creations of others, a win win in my book.

You ever think that your models are not selling because you are charging too much. Try lowering your price to the point that it seems like you are giving it away. A lot of people might decide to buy it even if they don't need it at the present time just because is so cheap. What you don't make in price you make up in volume. What do you have to loose, it ain't selling anyway. Take a look at messiah studio.

Nah. I'm not lowering my prices. I'm doing very well. But that is because I have reached over 100 plus models in my library. Atleast 10 of those 100 plus models sell each month and I'm ok:D. But ofcourse that still doesn't equate to how many hours spent on each model roughly 20 hours average. Some models never sell at all but that's fine I'm not taking 3d artwork into fastfood work and undercutting other artist who work hard.
I took a look at messiah studio and bought it. What does it prove to have super low prices? Nothing, there's no ressurgence of messiahstudio users at all in this side of the industry. Its still maya and max.
If kids making models with cracked appz selling 5 bucks is competition and a good thing....oh well...buyers pov it seems.

Bill1955
09-13-2011, 02:01 AM
Nah. I'm not lowering my prices. I'm doing very well. But that is because I have reached over 100 plus models in my library. Atleast 10 of those 100 plus models sell each month and I'm ok:D. But ofcourse that still doesn't equate to how many hours spent on each model roughly 20 hours average. Some models never sell at all but that's fine I'm not taking 3d artwork into fastfood work and undercutting other artist who work hard.
I took a look at messiah studio and bought it. What does it prove to have super low prices? Nothing, there's no ressurgence of messiahstudio users at all in this side of the industry. Its still maya and max.
If kids making models with cracked appz selling 5 bucks is competition and a good thing....oh well...buyers pov it seems.

You bought Messiah and so did many others. That proves my point. Greed is not always good. It's okay to get rich a little at a time.

geo_n
09-13-2011, 04:28 AM
You bought Messiah and so did many others. That proves my point. Greed is not always good. It's okay to get rich a little at a time.

That proves the point that the developers of messiah didn't make good money at all selling their hardwork for less than 10% of their original price.
Messiah must be a sidejob for the devs because for 40USD even if they sold 1000 licenses, that's just 40k. Not even enough to pay for a programmer job for a year.
Greed is not always good but freeloaders are also not welcome. :D
And when competing with crack users who sell for 5bucks sometimes its not worth making a model exclusively for 3dstock sites. I stopped doing that a few years ago and only sell models that I already used in projects.

rcallicotte
09-13-2011, 06:43 AM
Good idea!

And when competing with crack users who sell for 5bucks sometimes its not worth making a model exclusively for 3dstock sites. I stopped doing that a few years ago and only sell models that I already used in projects.

rcallicotte
09-13-2011, 06:55 AM
This is good to know about. Thanks.

erikals
09-13-2011, 07:25 AM
...My personal favorite is the 3DWorldClub where I can exchange my creations for creations of others, a win win in my book.

um... "The number of 3D models available to download depends on chosen account and how many 3D models you uploaded into 3D World Club catalog"

not sure i get it...
so i could potentially upload a bad sofa and download a great modeled car?

Bill1955
09-13-2011, 09:22 AM
um... "The number of 3D models available to download depends on chosen account and how many 3D models you uploaded into 3D World Club catalog"

not sure i get it...
so i could potentially upload a bad sofa and download a great modeled car?

Well, whatever you upload has to be approved by them, but yes, like every other site out there, poor models are also available at this site.

Bill1955
09-13-2011, 09:38 AM
That proves the point that the developers of messiah didn't make good money at all selling their hardwork for less than 10% of their original price.
Messiah must be a sidejob for the devs because for 40USD even if they sold 1000 licenses, that's just 40k. Not even enough to pay for a programmer job for a year.
Greed is not always good but freeloaders are also not welcome. :D

You are assuming that they only sold 1000 licenses, just like you are assuming that kids are using crack versions of 3d software to sell objects at 5 bucks. I look at it as 1000 licenses that they wouldn't have sold otherwise with the potential of return customers if the product is good. However, if the product sucks then no one will buy from them again. If they have a really great product, word of mouth will get them even more clients.

safetyman
09-14-2011, 05:51 AM
I'm not really complaining so much as I'm trying to figure out how folks are making money with some of the low quality models that are put out there. Maybe they aren't, and maybe the SquidGuild is a way to get the lower quality stuff out of there. I have nothing against TS, and in fact there are some really really good things there. I think the top artists who put in the hard work and produce top quality stuff should be paid well. I just don't understand how some of those guys/gals come up with the prices, from Checkmate-quality to the bottom of the barrel. I know the uploaders set their own price, but I can't imagine that some of that stuff sells at all.