PDA

View Full Version : Surface Issue

digitalimagery
09-07-2011, 10:12 AM
Hello Peeps,

Checkered Reflection:
I'm seeing something I haven't seen before on a reflective e-map. I suspect it's the result of putting a heavy bevel on a seriffed font which required merging points that overlapped in the smaller areas (see reflection on the "E" in the shaded model). Looks like the poly is being stretched to the corners which I'm curious if it's causing this.

If you look at the rendered frame Surf_Prob (still tweaking), the E face has some flat edged areas on the face - kind of checker boarded. Any idea what causes this. I'm using a seamless spherical e-map for the reflection so it must be the geometry.

Wire frame:
Is there an option for beefing up wire frame line weights?

Faceting:
Is there a way to increase the number of slices along the edge of the "R" (to smooth out the curve) and still maintain the points required to match those increased points?

Thanks
DI

3DGFXStudios
09-07-2011, 10:14 AM
lower the smoothing in the surface editor.

digitalimagery
09-07-2011, 10:17 AM
For the face reflection problem or the faceting? Is there a good numeric range or do you just need to experiment?

Thanks
DI

digitalimagery
09-07-2011, 10:24 AM
Sorry,
No need to respond, This is the wrong model. I screwed up something and ended up with an older model which was built from a hack font (supplied by the client). I rebuilt using a "real" font and that solved these problems.

I must have opened the old model. My Bad. Apologies. Guilt, embarrassment etc etc.

DI

Iain
09-08-2011, 11:21 AM
Well, regardless of whether you've solved it, the front face of your text would not require smoothing as it's completely flat and doesn't need to 'blend' with other polys.
For polys that do require smoothing, 30 degrees usually suffices without causing errors.

digitalimagery
09-08-2011, 11:26 AM
Know one had a specific smoothing value to offer so this helps. I've sub divided the shield geometry and used a bend to create a slight curve. I've been getting weird reflections which I've solved by subdividing those individual polys but suspect there's a fast easy way to just increase the division on the whole model but haven't figured out how.

Thanks for responding.
DI

nickdigital
09-08-2011, 11:36 AM
Have you tried Tripling your model?

digitalimagery
09-08-2011, 02:36 PM
I don't even know what that is... :o(

DI

Lewis
09-08-2011, 02:39 PM
I don't even know what that is... :o(

DI

Make it all Triangles, Hit "shift+T" in modeler BUT save this non tripled version first just in case you want to go back ;).

digitalimagery
09-08-2011, 02:47 PM
I'll try that.