PDA

View Full Version : Kappa shader shows tesselation edges

Salv8or
09-07-2011, 02:29 AM
Hi to all.

Have any of you solved the problem with shaders that renders edges darker then the actual polygon?
I set up a skin shader and started out with the sss node, but since VPR don't render preprocess shaders i decided to remake it but with the kappa shader. But all of a sudden I got darker shades at the edges of all tesselated polys.
Whats up with that.. When am I suppose to use a sss shader that shows the polys again?

Hope some one have a sullotion to the problem.

thnx.

3DGFXStudios
09-07-2011, 03:01 AM
Is your model closed?

Salv8or
09-07-2011, 03:08 AM
Yes, its closed. No ngons, only quads and some triangles.

Dodgy
09-07-2011, 03:39 AM
That's kind of why it's a legacy shader now. SSS and SSS2 basically replace Kappa and Kappa2 even though they don't show up in VPR (they preprocess which makes them faster than Kappa/2 in final renders)

lardbros
09-07-2011, 06:04 AM
Kappa works best, and was designed to be used with raytraced shadows turned off. If you turn off the shadowing options for the object it should remove those issues.

Also, the shader doesn't need double-sided material, nor air-polys...

This info was in the manual... most people don't expect that kind of limitation for a shader, but maybe it has some uses?

Salv8or
09-07-2011, 09:06 AM
I agree with lardbros that kappa pruduce the best results, thou I had no idea that it is designed so that you can't use raytraced shadows. I'll run some test when I come home. Thnx.

Salv8or
09-07-2011, 01:01 PM
Gave up with the Kappa Shader.
But now to a different issue.
I get some strange blobbiness in the SSS2 shaders backward light. (backligt shining through the ear. I cranced the quality up to 200% and that was a mayor hit on the render time.. Any one know another way of doing backscatter?
It looked just fine with the Kappa shader.

All tips are welcome.
Thnx.

lardbros
09-08-2011, 05:35 AM
I know this probably isn't the right answer, nor is it going to make you smile, but 10.1 has a lovely skin shader and it is very fast too, works in VPR and looks lovely.

As for the SSS2 shader, I've not used it in anger, so don't know how to help I'm afraid! :(