PDA

View Full Version : Total Newbie needs modeling help with text

fredfx
09-07-2011, 01:01 AM
I'm trying to create 3D letters with a rounded front. Modeling isn't my strong suit, so if someone could offer me a suggestion that would be great. I really don't have a clue how to fix this problem.

I've tried beveling, rounder and everything else I could think of. I'm just not familiar enough with the tools to do what I want to intelligently. So here's the deal:

Using the text tool in modeller I've extruded the text and then tried creating a rounded bevel to make the letters look like they're round on the front face. The problem I'm ending up with is that in the corners of the letters, I'm getting a crossover of geometry. I've tried fixing it by hand, to no avail. Also, because of the crossover, parts of the front faces of the letters disappear.

I've attached a jpg as an illustration and the .lwo file.

I really want to learn how to do this. If anyone can point me to a tutorial I'd gladly read/watch to learn.

Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to give.

jeric_synergy
09-07-2011, 01:39 AM
One classic fix for the 'crossing geometry' issue is to bevel OUTwards rather than in, then extrude the back of the letter. Not 100%, but addresses a lot of situations.

Unfortunately it takes a fair amount of prescience to work that way.

Sensei
09-07-2011, 01:42 AM
Select group of points using lasso, then slightly rotate (clicking on the bottom left most point-so it's origin), and scale, so it'll match original size again. Repeat with the rest in red area, using appropriate rotation and scaling.

Weld points at the end. Select pair, and weld. Then repeat with the rest.

Crossfire
09-07-2011, 05:02 AM
It's all about the weld baby!

fredfx
09-07-2011, 10:56 AM
Guys/Gals.....thanks SO much. The weld did it....I told you I was a total newbie!

Thanks again you rock!

prospector
09-09-2011, 11:43 PM
You'll never have that happen if you extrude the SIDES of the letters and stretch them in a bit to get the rounded edges.
2 very small extrudes and stretches will give you a sharp edge but enough round to catch a shine .

nickdigital
09-10-2011, 08:54 AM
If you can afford bevel++ it's worth getting. It'll fix the overlapping points problem automatically.