PDA

View Full Version : Switching between stepped and tcb

mdharman
09-06-2011, 09:44 PM
Is there any way to easily change all motion curves between stepped and tcb? I know how to go into the graph editor and manually change the curves, but I wish there was a switch that would change all motion curves at once. I really like stepped for creating keys and breakdowns in a traditional pose-to-pose style.

erikals
10-30-2011, 04:59 PM
nope,...

LW doesn't allow you to edit TCB keys in the Dope Sheet.

you're stuck with the graph editor... :]

Greenlaw
10-30-2011, 08:50 PM
Yup, just the Graph Editor. If you're working on a character with a lot of bones, what helps is to Hide Motion Paths in Layout from the Display Options, and maybe even set your viewport(s) to 'None' before loading all your curves in the Graph Editor. This should really speed up the process. When your done with this major change and no longer need all the curves loaded at the same time, you can switch the display mode back to what you want. BTW, I usually leave motion paths disabled unless I really need to see them...this feature can really slow things down.

G.

kevman3d
11-01-2011, 06:28 PM
Here's a quicky piece of LScript that I hacked together a while back now that quickly swaps between Stepped and original curve type on all trans/rot/scale channels of your objects (ie. not just tcb).

Just so you are aware - its a hack so its not smart and you have to make sure you have the same items selected to restore and swap. If I had time, it wouldn't be hard to modify it to store and recall items and so forth...

The script is editable - so anybody who wants a small side project please feel free (and share it back to this thread for everybody).

Just attach it to a KB shortcut and there's your toggle... Have fun, but use at your own risk (or just be very careful what you select/deselect)... :D

Greenlaw
11-01-2011, 11:35 PM
Cool! This could come in handy with one of my personal projects. Thanks Kevman3D! :)

G.

kevman3d
12-05-2011, 11:26 PM
Here's a new one - this doesn't attempt to "recall" original curves - It just updates all the keys for selected items to a new curve types. The idea is if you're doing character animation, you may want to quickly swap in stepped across a whole rig - right-clicking on the parent will select a whole hierarchy quickly (which is damned useful) and then this script can do the whole lot in one foul swoop. :)

I added a curve mask so it can be made to only change certain curve types to the new one, and a TCB clamping check box that will force tension to 1.0 (flat) when using TCB. This option is handy for walk cycles, and other pose-to-pose stuff where you want two identical keys to be held while using TCB.

You could map this to a keyboard shortcut for quick access...

Originally I was just going to make some singular curve type setting LScripts so they could all be mapped to shortcut keys, but this one seemed tidier.

Enjoy! And if you think its useful to others, please share it around... I'd be curious how useful this is to people. :thumbsup:

EDIT : Fixed the clamping code to do it properly - here's the updated script. Note the image attached - Clamping is where identical values are set the a tension of 1.0 to flatten them out (ie. a foot sitting on ground, etc) - Not all the keys, just the ones that need it

kevman3d
12-06-2011, 01:37 AM
Oh yeh, just a quick note - this hasn't been tested a LOT since I only just wrote it a couple hours back and did a quicky test on a single item (the camera). Give it a bash, and let me know if it has any niggles... :thumbsup:

erikals
12-06-2011, 01:41 AM
edit: there we go :]

kevman3d
12-06-2011, 01:45 AM
Phew! I was about to tell you to scroll up one more post, but sounds like you found it anyway. lol! :D

erikals
12-06-2011, 02:04 AM
hehe, i'm fast Mister... ;]

thought this would work great together with footprinterX...
but maybe not, as it places nulls on the ground rather than to make keys... (?)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWJzkyWpQgA

 

Ryan Roye
12-08-2011, 08:11 AM
You don't even have to open the graph editor to set the graph type... use CreateKey+ and save yourself the hassle.

It doesn't solve the issue of having to visit the graph editor to manipulate bezier curves or change *ALL* animation curve types at once, but if you want to set the curve type as you are keying your keyframes this is the plugin for you.

I honestly don't know how anyone can animate or do any type of work in Lightwave involving keyframes without this plugin... it is that powerful. Simply hotkey the enter key over Lightwave's default enter key preset and you're good to go.

http://www.lwplugindb.com/Plugin.aspx?id=10a0b4be

NOTE: The website for the download is not english, but the plugin is.

erikals
12-08-2011, 12:18 PM
looks nice, Kevman's might be faster for footsteps though... (?)

kevman3d
12-12-2011, 01:19 AM
Nah, mines more a quick switch tool for mass change of curve interpolation at once. Originally I intended it as a fast switcher between step and any other, because quite a few 2D-trained animators I know like to block out and use stepped.

CreateKey+ is pretty cool (just downloaded it). But I think both tools might be well worth using. Anything that makes the work flow faster and easier, eh. :D

mdharman
03-28-2012, 09:21 PM
Hey Kevman,
I just realized that I never posted a response (things got busy back in December). Your plug-in is awesome! I took your suggestion and created a keyboard shortcut to bring up the plugin. I use very few nulls in my rigs; almost everything is created by keying in bones. I can middle-mouse lasso to select all of the bones, run your plugin, and quickly change between stepped and TCB (or Bezier). Thank you so much.

erikals
03-29-2012, 02:00 AM
note, there is also Move TCB, under the "animate" tab...