PDA

View Full Version : Mograph features-- what are they?

jeric_synergy
09-06-2011, 04:13 PM
I've heard that some other packages, which shall not be named, are very 'motion-graphic' friendly.

What features or organization does a 3d software need to make it "motion-graphic friendly"??

cresshead
09-06-2011, 08:55 PM
1.Live cloning, with adjustments and animating clones on a large scale
2.output to AE [adobe aftereffects] with automatic composite building
3.Live text tools so you can update/change 3d text or change font without having to rebuild a poly model and replace it to update it.
4.live spline based tools for creating/animating logos and extruded/beveled designs with easy acces to edit change a design by dropping down to the spline level of the object and editing points and the extrude/bevel is updated 'up the stack/tag/history as it's a live tool and not a dropped tool/collapsed to polys.
5. renderable splines

jeric_synergy
09-06-2011, 09:32 PM
Whoa. :: peruse peruse :: OK, that ain't gonna happen, esp 3 & 4.

Excellent response, cress.

cresshead
09-06-2011, 09:38 PM
Whoa. :: peruse peruse :: OK, that ain't gonna happen, esp 3 & 4.

Excellent response, cress.

Core had some of these capabilities mapped out/working so never say never as Newtek move Core code/concepts over into new versions of Lightwave going forward.

tischbein3
09-06-2011, 10:09 PM
OK, that ain't gonna happen, esp 3 & 4.

Live text isn't that difficult to implement.
I can think of at least 3 different methods, how a third party plugin developer could implement it. Its rather a question of time and energy vs overall gain.

chris

jeric_synergy
09-07-2011, 02:36 AM
Implicit in my reply was "...anytime soon." It's SOFTware: anything could be done, but soon? Nahhh.

tischbein3
09-07-2011, 09:45 AM
Nah I was speaking from the current sdk perspective... as for newtek things might be even easier, (and more fun) to do.

Anyway, get me 100 people, each willing to buy it for 30 euro, and I will create it.
:D

jeric_synergy
09-07-2011, 01:02 PM
Anyway, get me 100 people, each willing to buy it for 30 euro, and I will create it.
:D
I think there ARE services that do that kinda thing; Kickstarter (http://www.kickstarter.com/)?

Anyway, there's an official name for that kinda thing, some kind of "nnnn auction". Sometimes the funds are available to all, so the first person to accomplish a given task get$ the moolah.

I believe Kickstarter (or the other service like it) holds funds in escrow until the task is accomplished, so if you don't deliver, the money goes back to the subscribers.

EDIT: NewTek could support such actions too, by chumming the waters here or with some ca$h.

jwiede
09-08-2011, 03:11 AM
Cress' description focuses on the parametric generators available, but IMO it's the rich array of effectors, forces and deformers that make the difference between being able to do "simple" mograph scenes and being able to put together something like Aix Sponza's "No Keyframes" video.

When "No Keyframes" first began doing the rounds, shot-by-shot breakdowns were posted describing (roughly) how the mograph tools available in that other pkg were layered together to create the various mograph shots shown. In almost every case, the interesting parts were how the various triggers, effectors and forces were wired together to control/affect the generators/cloners and deformers used, more so than the specific generators/cloners and deformers themselves.

People looking for ideas of what makes that software's MoGraph tools "special" should really take the time to look through the shot-by-shot breakdowns of "No Keyframes". They do a good job of describing how the MoGraph tools fit together to create the rich, complex behaviors seen in the video. That ease in "fitting together" is at least as critical to efficiency as the raw breadth of tools available.

ivanze
02-28-2012, 01:16 PM
Bringing this thread back from the death. Now that LW11 has native instances, flocking and bullet isnīt that possible for some developer to make a plugin that makes things like mograph?