PDA

View Full Version : 820 Feature requests

vanderwielen
09-06-2011, 07:22 AM
1. Provide global settings for mark in and pad times so they don't require resetting on new sessions.
2. Provide setting to make A+B a momentary action. In my case it is only used to rewind both channels in sync.
3. Include keyboard shortcuts for:

-1, -2 second jump-back
Force both A and B to go live
Play A
Play B

SBowie
09-06-2011, 07:57 AM
I like all of these - thanks!

On point #2, are you thinking of an option that caused the A+B button to be in effect only while held down, then reverting to A or B on release? Or maybe just another button you could hold down while jogging to jog both?

vanderwielen
09-06-2011, 04:23 PM
Yes. The A+B button causes mistakes. Here's why. When both A and B are live and a replay is desired on both channels, you must select A+B to rewind keeping them in sync. Then, you have to re-press A+B to control only one channel and play it...or you play both channels. The goal is to do a back-to-back replay. If you could simply hold the Alt button alone, or some other button, and affect an in-sync rewind that would be fine.

I like the unit, but there needs some improvements in workflow. In our case 95% of the use is a simple rewind and play. We have two units. We're collecting suggestions from various operators.

SBowie
09-06-2011, 07:38 PM
We're collecting suggestions from various operators.Please do keep them coming.

vanderwielen
09-07-2011, 10:34 AM
There is a problem with the 820 reading the current position of the t-bar. put the tbar at zero. rewind a clip on a and b. position the tbar anwhere. hit play. a runs at the tbars position. select b. hit play. b plays at something other than the current position of the tbar. perhaps at some 'last' position.

SBowie
09-07-2011, 10:43 AM
There is a problem with the 820 reading the current position of the t-bar. put the tbar at zero. rewind a clip on a and b. position the tbar anwhere. hit play. a runs at the tbars position. select b. hit play. b plays at something other than the current position of the tbar. perhaps at some 'last' position.Could be a bug, yep. I'm not set up with an 820 here today to check, but it would be good for you to 'Fogbugz' it. The default public entry point should do for the purpose (select the 3Play project from the drop down menu):

https://fogbugz.newtek.com/default.asp?pg=pgPublicEdit

kltv
09-07-2011, 10:49 AM
I think the control is independent intentionally, unless you hit the "A+B" button to control them both with the T-Bar when you move it. Otherwise you couldn't roll "A" at 75% and then roll "B" at any other speed without messing up "A" at the same time. When you move the T-bar on the other channel it should sync up to the current position.

Kris

SBowie
09-07-2011, 11:12 AM
Thanks, Kris. My assumption was that this was with A+B enabled. (Even then, if the initial speeds were different, they might sync up only after moving the T-bar.)

vanderwielen
09-11-2011, 08:05 AM
the T bar issues occurs without A+B selected and is random. Also, I've reported a problem with HDSDI video that does not contain embedded audio, but whose channel is selected as LINE. It will record, but during playback the video will take a hit about every 2 seconds reflecting as an apparently sync loss for a couple of frames. The temporary work around is to route non-embedded HDSDI cameras, such as the Canon XL-H1A out the AUX port and route the AUX port back to to the 3 play.

PIZAZZ
09-12-2011, 10:59 AM
the T bar issues occurs without A+B selected and is random. Also, I've reported a problem with HDSDI video that does not contain embedded audio, but whose channel is selected as LINE. It will record, but during playback the video will take a hit about every 2 seconds reflecting as an apparently sync loss for a couple of frames. The temporary work around is to route non-embedded HDSDI cameras, such as the Canon XL-H1A out the AUX port and route the AUX port back to to the 3 play.

I wish I would of thought of this Saturday. I had a bear of a time getting a JVC HD750 to be recorded. The Video was coming through HDSDI bouncing through a BMD VideoHub even. The 850 never had an issue with the camera but the 820 would not record it for the life of me. Even switched inputs on the 820 and still nada. I did try earlier to get embedded audio from the camera on the field for a standup in PreShow. Camera guy was not able to give me embedded audio so I wonder if that is why the 820 wouldn't record it. I could see it in the Live previews just fine but the thing just wouldn't record. Time for a bug report.

Thanks Rick, for the idea to try and figure it out. The other 3 Canon cameras had operational HDSDI embedded audio.

vanderwielen
09-12-2011, 11:09 AM
let me share this one with you. after installing our 820 and practicing on other sources in the truck, we head out for the biggest, baddest high school football game in Indiana. A living legend is calling the game, millions of home on live TV. 3,2,1 we up....and low and behold my down cameras have NO embedded audio and they won't record. I reboot. Nothing. Crap. We're still getting the up shots since they have audio. So, I route a down shot out the aux port, back into the router and back to the 820. It works. I then route another down shot to a Sony 1500A, back and to the 820...It works. I had no idea why this was occurring. Newtek did respond that this is a known issue and that it will be solved in the next software release...they said, use LINE with cameras that have no embed, but it still takes a video HIT as I described about. The 820 is so promising, but so far from practical at this point.

vanderwielen
09-16-2011, 06:48 AM
more feedback:

when a+b is active, pressing play should release and play both channels. this allows both channels to be played in sync allowing review of a clock and a game play situation in a virtual set on the 850.

also, in clips or playlist, allow the last entry to play past the out time, as was the case in the old 3 play.

DStoneburner
09-19-2011, 08:13 AM
Any suggestions on the best way to make a recording template? I have Men's and Women's Basketball and I need their set-up to be different. I would like to make a template that I just change the name of the visiting team, then I can easily delete it later when I'm done. Like you said earlier it doesn't keep the settings.