PDA

View Full Version : Color gradient surface - stupid newb question

madno
09-04-2011, 03:52 PM
Well, how to color a surface with a color gradient?
I made a box
-> kept the default surface
-> switched to texture tab
-> selected gradient and tried different settings there (see first two sceenshots).

I understand the effect of "Y distance to object", I think it means distance to the objects pivot ?.

Because I can't get what I am after and don't know how to describe it in English, I made an example in PowerPoint (the last screen shot) (feel realy embarrassed doing this).
Watched two tutorial videos I bought (surfacing basic and advanced), but they are more about the basic parameters of Surface Editor.

Thanks in advance for help.

Lightwolf
09-04-2011, 04:33 PM
Try adding a second item (A null) to the scene, position it at the top of your box.
Now use the Y distance and pick the NULL as the reference item.

The issue here is that the distance is always positive - regardless of the direction.

Cheers,
Mike

XswampyX
09-04-2011, 04:41 PM
Or...

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr16/xXswampyXx/Gradient.jpg

Y Distance to pivot point. You were close. :)

madno
09-05-2011, 03:15 AM
Arghhhh,

"Y distance to Pivot point" is there to be selected. I was blind. Should not try out new things in the night (bang head on table). Null is something I have not done yet (still fighting with Modeler and super basic Layout), but will do as it seems to the way to go for alot of things.

Thanks.

One more question allowed?
It took me some time to see the effect of gradients at all in Modeler. Noticed finally that I needed to change "Shading Method" in "Display Options - GL" from "Multitexture Shader" to "GLSLShaders". Is this the right solution, to see the gradients effect?