PDA

View Full Version : Particles not rendering?

Algae998
09-04-2011, 12:25 AM
Its been a while since Ive played around with particles and hypervoxels and Im missing something. I setup my particle emitter and activated the emitter in the hypervoxels tab, but the particles dont render. Ive tried sprites and volume but it isnt rendering.
What am I missing?

Also, how can I get just the particles to render without attaching hypervoxels, such as sparks?
Thanks in advance!

prometheus
09-04-2011, 01:31 PM
Its been a while since Ive played around with particles and hypervoxels and Im missing something. I setup my particle emitter and activated the emitter in the hypervoxels tab, but the particles dont render. Ive tried sprites and volume but it isnt rendering.
What am I missing?

Also, how can I get just the particles to render without attaching hypervoxels, such as sparks?
Thanks in advance!

Post a scenefile ..can be a simple setup just to see what´s wrong.

And as always...what lightwave version are you using..important to know if you post latest builds of lightwave and someone is using lightwave 10 wich could screw up configs.

when you create a particle emitter, you can choose to use a partigon emitter instead of hv emitter. just choose emitter type, it will be one point polys wich you can use the surface tab instead to shade, for instance if you want glow particles.

You could also use pixie dust instead, in the volumetrics tab..you can find pixiedust.

Michael

Algae998
09-04-2011, 09:18 PM
I managed to get the particles to render, although I had to recreate an emitter.
Hopefully this isn't too off topic but I ran into another problem I cant figure out. I'm trying to get these particles to shoot out the bottom of the jet, whichever way the jet is pointing. I created the emitter and have the particles moving in the negative Y, but when I parent it to the jet, they don't follow the jet's orientation. Hopefully the attached screenshot will help explain this better.
Did I parent the emitter wrong?

Mr Rid
09-05-2011, 12:57 AM
Did you maybe have Parent in Place on? Looks like you just need to pitch your emitter about -45.

Sometimes when HVs mysteriously arent rendering its because I forgot that Output Size was enabled in particle properties, with a small or no particle size.

Pgons are bland and depthless. I recommend using sprites for sparks where there is much more control over appearance.

Algae998
09-05-2011, 04:43 PM
It looks like I might have to animate the emitters rotation direction for the entire sequence, its only shooting the particles in the -Y. I turned parent in place off, parented it to the bone where I want the particles emitting from, turned parent in place back on. I've tried both parent in place on and off and it doesn't seem to change anything.
Maybe my scene is corrupt or something because I had to create my particle emitters in a separate scene then use import from scene just to get the sprites to render. I tested out a directional emitter where the emitter is parented to a null, the null rotates, shooting the particles in that direction. But, when I import that setup into my scene and parent it to the bone controlling the jet, it only shots in -Y. Confused.

Mr Rid
09-05-2011, 10:04 PM
Which platform and LW version?

PFX sometimes behave oddly when parented within certain hierarchies, but should be working- 97972

Mr Rid
09-05-2011, 10:18 PM
If still not working for some reason, and to avoid keyframing an emitter separately, this plug allows to save the motion of an item say a bone at the end of a chain, then apply that motion to any other independent item. 97973 There are a few plugs for this but this was the only one I recall that worked on any hierarchy.