PDA

View Full Version : CGI-team behind Iron Sky..

Cageman
09-03-2011, 07:42 AM
http://www.liberty3d.com/2011/09/iron-sky-day-109/

:)

cresshead
09-03-2011, 08:10 AM
ace clip, shows lightwave delivers on VFX, on time, on budget and looking fantastic too.

djlithium
09-03-2011, 08:15 AM
=^..^=
Thanks guys, I wish there was more room for more LW people on the team and we had a little bit more money to do some things but it just didn't work out this time around. Hopefully there will be another opportunity like this soon (a new star wreck maybe? Iron SKy the series? who knows!) and more great LW folks can come along for the ride!

Meow from Finland!

mav3rick
09-04-2011, 02:31 AM
impressive work guys ;)

Dodgy
09-04-2011, 05:14 AM
Good stuff Kat and you guys :)

wesleycorgi
09-04-2011, 05:37 AM
Nice product placement behind Samuli's shoulder :)

tuomas
09-04-2011, 06:11 AM
Nice product placement behind Samuli's shoulder :)

Completely accidental. *cough*

prometheus
09-05-2011, 06:59 AM
Nice to see back stage and inside the company.

You know, Iīm not really afraid of Naziīs on the dark side of the moon, Im starting to get fobic of Finīs taking over the world..

My last work was owned by the finnish post office wich bought up a big
company in sweden.

And now Im workin within a swedish company but with finish VD and bosses.

And the Fins won the world cup in hockey, and now this...watch out you guys from around the world working at that place..you will probably be assimilated and married with finnish girls, and in the end producing more fins who might conquer the world.

Michael

COBRASoft
09-05-2011, 07:37 AM
I have no problems with fins, as long as they speak english :D! Damn, I don't understand a word from finnish.

Nice video, nice to see LW in action.

Tonttu
09-05-2011, 08:20 AM
My last work was owned by the finnish post office wich bought up a big
company in sweden.

Don't worry, usually it's the other way around. After USSR collapsed, Finland was sold bit by bit. All the major banks are multinational etc..

kallis
09-05-2011, 08:28 AM
We need a "like"-button in here...

speismonqui
09-05-2011, 05:41 PM
We need a "like"-button in here...

+1

and a "dislike" button as well :D

robertoortiz
09-05-2011, 05:59 PM
I think this should go into the LW reel for next year.

this is the sort of project that would get attention in their booth (it will go great with blood and Chrome and Terranova)

SBowie
09-05-2011, 07:52 PM
We need a "like"-button in here...You have seen the Rate Thread menu, I guess, right?

kallis
09-06-2011, 12:52 AM
You have seen the Rate Thread menu, I guess, right?

Nope, that I had missed....voted now!

flashover
09-06-2011, 06:00 AM
Too cool this video :thumbsup:

Titus
09-06-2011, 09:25 AM
I think this should go into the LW reel for next year.

Yes, just leave out any part with robots and spaceships, it's so old lightwave.

jeric_synergy
09-06-2011, 10:08 AM
Yes, just leave out any part with robots and spaceships, it's so old lightwave.
I'm gonna assume that was tongue in cheek. :hey:

Titus
09-06-2011, 10:55 AM
I'm gonna assume that was tongue in cheek. :hey:

:beerchug:

alesxander
09-06-2011, 11:53 AM
wooooooooooow. congratulations. it's nice to see LW involved in a cool project.

alesxander
http://alesxander.com

vfxwizard
09-07-2011, 01:34 PM
I spend too much time working and missed all this: Iron Sky looks great and very Galactica-ish! I'm happy and looking forward to the release.

Keep up the good work!

PS
Any chance to fit some vampires in the sequel? :D

speismonqui
09-09-2011, 05:05 PM
You have seen the Rate Thread menu, I guess, right?

I have, but It'll be nice to rate/like a post in the thread.

lardbros
09-12-2011, 05:54 AM
I posted on their site after watching that video!

I saw Luke's (anti-distinctly around here) and couldn't believe he was over in Finland working on this! Good job mate!!! And some great work from the whole team!

I liked the very honest comments kat makes regarding Maya users... very funny. Not sure it's Maya users who don't keep their photoshop files in layers rather than separate it all into groups and layers... sounds like they don't know what they're doing at all :)

Good luck guys!

djlithium
09-12-2011, 06:14 AM
Hello LightWavers and Freedom Fighters!

Looks like we just got most of our VFX edit back and now for us happy combatkats here on IronSky its to the front lines of render render render! Maya totally failed on this project. Down the road once we are done there will be a full explanation of why and how LW saved the show, but we are not out of the woods yet. We also have something special planned for the LW community once things calm down a lot that you can get into with us :)
More details on this later but our goal is to get a LOT of people introduced to LightWave quickly. Oh yes, it will be neat.

Keep checking the blog at www.liberty3d.com for updates and later on some neat videos among other things.

Ok, back to the front here :)

Kat

lardbros
09-12-2011, 12:11 PM
Tell you what Kat, if it wasn't for your enthusiasm, great work, and great championing towards Lightwave, Newtek would be stuffed! Atleast your marketing is good quality, relevant and very interesting! Love all the blogs, and if you haven't read that stuff already, get over there and spend an hour or three reading the whole thing :)

Thanks for being a light at the end of a very long, and dark Newtek tunnel! :D

jeric_synergy
09-12-2011, 02:57 PM
I saw Luke's (anti-distinctly around here)....
LOL, could you unpack "anti-distinctly" for me? I'm not quite getting it... :)

I liked the very honest comments kat makes regarding Maya users... very funny. Not sure it's Maya users who don't keep their photoshop files in layers rather than separate it all into groups and layers... sounds like they don't know what they're doing at all :)

I'm no Maya apologist, but I do agree the Iron Sky Mayans seem particularly clueless. Who the hell flattens their PShop files and doesn't keep a layered backup? Nincompoops, that's who. :screwy:

Seriously, that's a f***in' rookie move there.

jeric_synergy
09-12-2011, 02:59 PM
Down the road once we are done there will be a full explanation of why and how LW saved the show,...
I hope that's in the form of a documentary! :thumbsup: :goodluck:

Nicolas Jordan
09-12-2011, 03:22 PM
I think I saw a modo screen on the video as well. Looks like it's being used for some of the modeling tasks.

Lewis
09-12-2011, 03:25 PM
Cool stuff there guys :).

lardbros
09-12-2011, 03:32 PM
LOL, could you unpack "anti-distinctly" for me? I'm not quite getting it... :)

Errrm, :) Not sure what you mean? Am I being stupid? :D

Anti-Distinctly is just Luke from the Iron Sky team, but his forum name... is that what you wanted me to explain? :)

robpowers3d
09-12-2011, 04:17 PM
Great work guys! It's looking very cool. Can't wait to see the final project!:thumbsup:

OnlineRender
09-12-2011, 04:26 PM
big-up to Kat, Luke , Samuli & Lee for bring LW some excellent coverage .... and the maya boys .... (",) .................. goodluck , and for what I have seen the vfx on the film looks ...

Superb ...

BTW my claim to fame is I helped luke solve some serious mind boggling complicated mathematical mesmerizing issue with LW dynamics , he restarted the app ;) goodluck boys , your pulling shift

tuomas
09-14-2011, 07:52 AM
I think I saw a modo screen on the video as well. Looks like it's being used for some of the modeling tasks.
Yeah, that's me. I think Mark has a license as well. The pipeline is a happy mix of whatever gets the job done.

OnlineRender
09-14-2011, 08:32 AM
Ahh knew there was someone else ,ma bad mate ....heard your moon looks awesome

djlithium
09-14-2011, 09:01 AM
Great work guys! It's looking very cool. Can't wait to see the final project!:thumbsup:

Thanks Rob!
We are all pushing hard here and getting LW introduced to more and more people every day because of the CGI diaries and videos that Samuli and company have been putting out. More fun soon with blowing up Nazis on the moon! :)

Bog
09-19-2011, 01:59 AM
I couldn't hear about something cool happenning with LightWave without putting my oar in. Hello from Finland, Newtek Forum Peeps!

Personally, I see nothing wrong with being at my workstation on a Sunday afternoon, because I'm blowing up a Gh0dsdamned spaceship, baby!

This gig is a fun one. I'm in my elelemnt.... fire! :D

archijam
09-19-2011, 05:49 AM
Especially giving the topic of the film, I keep thinking if Dave Ridden's lightwave efforts blowing up Zeppelins in tLoXGentlemen...

http://forums.newtek.com/showpost.php?p=1167900&postcount=14

That breakdown clip is a classic! :thumbsup:

edit: direct link (in link above): http://www.box.net/shared/static/0yvkmfvv0yfqnrxq0r36.mov

prometheus
09-19-2011, 05:58 AM
Im curious how it worked out regarding use of the Turbulence plugin for this production?

Any insight on if it was utilized in production? and how that worked? or perhaps maya fluids was used? or old school particles and fire elements?

Michael
http://vimeo.com/user680656/videos

Bog
09-19-2011, 07:23 AM
Im curious how it worked out regarding use of the Turbulence plugin for this production?

Any insight on if it was utilized in production? and how that worked? or perhaps maya fluids was used? or old school particles and fire elements?

Michael
http://vimeo.com/user680656/videos

As it happens, I'm uprezzing a TFD solve right there on that monitor.

<--- over there!

There are some elements being done in Maya Fluid as well. We're proving that Maya and LightWave guys can coexist peacefully, side-by-side, as colleagues - and even as friends.

Now if you'll excuse me a moment, I just need to check the charge on my cattle-prod... ;)

archijam
12-08-2011, 04:23 AM
Just saw this ... I guess imitation is a form of flattery .. ?

http://twitchfilm.com/news/2011/09/wtf-crowd-funded-iron-sky-gets-ripped-off-by-chinese-game-company-and-itunes-distributes-it.php

Edit: either they edited the game a lot, or the article was exaggerating .. it seems only an eagle survived.

http://www.ziiso.com/zuso/Cases/casesshow/id/10.html

Copyright works .. ? :)

Afalk
12-08-2011, 04:39 AM
utterly ridiculous that a company could do this so blatantly adn just get away with it!