PDA

View Full Version : Nvidia Card Dual Monitor setup?

3dfanatic
10-12-2003, 01:01 AM
Any suggestions on a good nvidia card for dual monitor setup? I got a gforce 3 ti200 right now with 128 megs of ram but no dual monitor setup. I am now thinking of going to a dual setup because of doing more with the Toaster. Before with Lightwave wasn't to bad with a single monitor but now alot more toaster stuff so I am seriuosly thinking of forking over the cash for something nice. Has anybody got the new 5900 card yet? Or has anyone got the new matrix card with 3 outs? Thanks for any advice u experts can give.

Jim_C
10-12-2003, 12:58 PM
I use the little sister Quadro NVS 200, silky smooth, no problems, way affordable. Games like a son of a bi$#h too if that matters.

bradl
10-12-2003, 09:08 PM
Almost any Nvidia Dual cards will work fine with VT3. I use Geforce 4 4600 TI, but there are new and cheaper ones now that work fine. Make sure you have the outputs you need for your monitors- DVI or VGA. Run the Twin View in Monitor span where your monitor is treated like one big monitor at 2560 x 1024. Also check out the Splitterbar discussion here: Vt-Edit skins.... (http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11982&highlight=splitterbar) and how to make Aura dual friendly here: Aura Interface (http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8520&highlight=aura+pop%2A)

3dfanatic
10-13-2003, 06:36 PM
Thanks a lot guys. I already have a nvidia card but with only one video out and I am thinking of the dual setup. Thanks for the replies just curious also if any one has got the 5900 dual?
thanks for your help.

Jim_C
10-13-2003, 07:59 PM
The quadro line is dual head.
http://www.nvidia.com/page/quadrofx_family.html
Get the Quadro FX 3000.... Ziinngg!
It doesn't get any better for nle work imo.

bradl
10-16-2003, 09:47 PM
Geezzz man, that card is $1700! Don't think you need that for VT3. If you got money to burn go for it, but something in the $200 to $400 range would work fine...

3dfanatic
10-16-2003, 10:51 PM
Thats what I was thinking. Already got a 21 and a 19 ready just need the dual card then i will be set. Thanks

bradl
10-16-2003, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by 3dfanatic
Already got a 21 and a 19 ready just need the dual card then i will be set.

Having mis-matched monitors you will not like... Having text, popups, menus, timelines, etc. span the 'Grand Canyon' between CRT's is bad enough but add in mis-alignment and size change and you won't be able to hardly read across it.

Maybe you could size your 21 down with the OSD and move it to one side... use shims (1/4" plywood or something) to align bezels...

3dfanatic
10-16-2003, 11:24 PM
ahh it makes that much of a difference. Hmm I guess I better re think then. I might be able to get another Dell Trinitron from Ebay for 333 fora 21 inch monitor again. If I am lucky that is. Thanks for the advice, not sure what I am doing when it comes to 2 monitors.

johnq
10-17-2003, 11:46 AM
I've got a 21 and a 19 monitor working in dual mode. The biggest problem is the aprox 4 inch gap between monitors. I did place a board under the 19 inch to get it more aligned to the horizontyal center line of the 21 inch monitor. After awhile, you learn the frequent popup menus so there is no need to carefully read them before making a selection. However, if $$ were not a concern, I would get another 21 inch.

John

Jim_C
10-17-2003, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by bradl
Geezzz man, that card is $1700! Don't think you need that for VT3. If you got money to burn go for it, but something in the $200 to $400 range would work fine...

;)

Of course it is, I was just leading to the best bunch around.
Drop down a couple notches and look at the FX 500.
Its in the 2 bill reange I believe.

Nothing beats the Quadro line , in my opinion of coures.

I have a question about using 2 different size monitors.
In order for the Toaster to work dual properly it actally has to see the 2 monitors as one big one.
2560x1024.
It doesn't play right if you have 2(dual) monitors at 1280x1024.
How does it handle the stretch into 2 different screens.
Or are you using it set to 2 monitors?
If so, you should stretch one monitor across both. Works so much better.

thanks all

jim

bradl
10-17-2003, 06:09 PM
Jim,

I think there was a question in there or maybe it was rhetorical... anyway, for Nvidia the recommended approach is to use monitor spanning as you mentioned. There are issues to deal with but it is very workable. As far as differing sizes and the configuration, Nvidia setup doesn't care about physical size, just how you set the display.

3dfanatic, of course the best thing would be two LCD panels in the 19" range with narrow bezels. You can get the gap to be under 1" that way. Do a search in this forum for several recommended model numbers. Prices and specs on LCD's are changing fast however so something recommended a month ago my be obsolete already. A new model that caught my eye because of price, looks, and thin bezel was Viewsonic's VP191b (http://www.viewsonic.com/products/lcd_vp191b.htm), that comes in black and silver.

Jim_C
10-17-2003, 06:43 PM
>>As far as differing sizes and the configuration, Nvidia setup doesn't care about physical size, just how you set the display.

Gotcha, yea I figured , I guess my question was does a single screen spanned across 2 different size monitors create a funky look in one of them.

Obviously not.

10-4
jim