PDA

View Full Version : Endomorph surfaces

jdw
09-03-2011, 07:11 AM
Howdy,

I'm using LW 8.5 and have a project with a big set of Endomorphs already built. Now the client wants to have some of the surfaces change between morph targets. This is easy enough with the old morph between objects technique, but how is it done with endomorphs?

Thanks for any information offered.

Jim

Moderator: I re-posted this thread in the Lightwave 3D Support section where it should have been. Please delete this version if possible. Thanks!

Sensei
09-03-2011, 08:25 AM
If you would have LW v9.3+ I would say "use material mixer node in Node Editor"..

But because you're on old LW 8.5, and if you have complex surfaces, with many layers on many channels, then probably the easiest approach is doing it in post-process/compositing..

jdw
09-03-2011, 08:55 AM
Nope, the endomorphs aren't complex at all. Just simple geometry scaling. I used the endomorphs because of the ease of using the morph mixer controls.

Sensei
09-03-2011, 08:57 AM
Do we understand each other correctly? I thought you wanted to change surface (in Surface Editor) along with endomorph deformation..

jdw
09-03-2011, 09:09 AM
Right. And I understand that I can just add envelope values to any surface to change various surface settings over time, but in this case I have settings that need to change over time that have no envelopes available. For example, I want to change between two surfaces that have different procedural textures.

I can do this using the old "morph surfaces" option with a traditional morph (non-endomorph), but there didn't seem to be any way with endomorphs.

Because, if I assign a surface to any of the endomorphs for a particular object, then all of the "versions" of the object have the same settings. So, there's nothing to "morph" to. But, with the old morph technique, there are two (or more) totally distinct objects so they can have their own surfaces.

I hope this makes sense ;-)

Thanks again for any suggestions.

Sensei
09-03-2011, 09:13 AM
So, I understood what you wanted and mine first post is still valid:
render image sequence using one surface setup, then change to second setup (save with different name), and rerender, then mix them together in compositing application..

It would be much easier if you just had LW v9.0+ and Node Editor..
Because it has built-in Material Mixer node for doing such stuff.

jdw
09-03-2011, 09:20 AM
Okay. From my research, it sounded like Endomorphs (at least in LW versions 8.5 and backwards) hadn't included an option for surface morphing. It should only take a few hours to rebuild the objects to take avantage of the older morph technique of just selecting the "Morph Surfaces" option.

Thanks again.

Jim

Sensei
09-03-2011, 09:23 AM
Morphing between 2 different objects has all surface data included in 2nd target, right? But Morph Mixer is morphing exactly the same object, just vertexes are moving from base to morphed state. XYZ coords change, nothing else. And there is no alternative surface data in the same object.

Downloading LW v9.6 is the easiest option.. ;)

jdw
09-03-2011, 09:39 AM
"Downloading LW v9.6 is the easiest option" -- True, but what does downloading 9.6 cost? I would assume that just upgrading 8.5 to 10.x would be the same cost?

erikals
09-03-2011, 01:53 PM
how2...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUDuP4-pS9A

jdw
09-03-2011, 03:03 PM
Excellent! Thanks for taking the time to make this video. Using the layer opacity never occurred to me. I will have to give it a shot, but it sure looks like it will work.

Thanks again!

akademus
09-03-2011, 03:16 PM
Or you can apply your morphs in modeler and save as separate model and then use your technique. (not sure is there Apply morph option in 8.5, but it should be)

erikals
09-03-2011, 03:40 PM
no problemo :]
i know how it is to have that client askin, hehe ;]

jdw
09-03-2011, 07:00 PM
Erikals,

Well, I just wanted to let you know that your technique worked perfectly. In fact, it worked better than using the standard morphs in that I could have the transition between surfaces happen over multiple morphs. This allowed for a more subtle effect.

Thanks again!

Jim