PDA

View Full Version : The "Lightwave has unexpectedly crashed" error. For lightwave 9.

Koudee
09-02-2011, 02:19 AM
Hey there.

I'm having some difficulty getting my version of lightwave 9 to run on my mac. When I start the program (after a "successful" installation), the program crashes unexpectedly, every time, making it quite expected...

I read up on what I could to see how I could fix it.
First, its the Hub. So I remove it from the default folder it was installed to.
After that it is modeler or layout that crashes.

I tried to change the read/write permissions, but they seemed okay. However I did not go through the terminal to do it. Not sure if that matters.

After all that, I tried to get rid of the preferences that may be effecting the program. But after deleting what I could, I didn't see improvement. (I downloaded the freeware that was supposed to scrub it all out as well, it didn't seem to work.)

Something that is a little interesting: I downloaded the lightwave 10 trial, it works great! But I have to open the program though my finder, because if I take the icon out of that folder, it wont run. The problem is similar to my lightwave 9 problem if I take it out of that folder.

As of right now, I have deleted most of all I can find of lightwave 9 on my computer. To get ready for another set of installs/reinstalls...

Thank you for taking the time to read through this. Any insight into what may be going on here would be a big help.

If there is anything I can do, add more information, try something out, just let me know.

-Thanks again.

meshpig
09-02-2011, 04:15 AM
Everything else working OK? Games, video... any weird articfacts on the desktop like lines and odd things around dialogue boxes?

Which version of 9? If you're running Leopard from memory the preference files migrated to ~/Library/Preferences where you'll find the 10 files. You can also make multiple copies of the licence.key and put one in the app's folder and one in ~/Library/...

Phil
09-02-2011, 05:16 AM
I begin to wonder about the OpenGL settings, looking at that application window. Does this crash happen immediately, or after you try and do something?

Regaring your other note, you cannot move the application icons around - it expects to find various support files in place. You can make an alias to the application and move that around instead.

rsfd
09-02-2011, 07:01 AM
a little info on the version / build number you are trying to use and the OS and Dongle would be good.
(Assuming, you're on an IntelMac with the official v.9.6-UB build on 10.6.x and SentinelDongle)
- to disable the Hub on OSX, just rename it (e.g. from Hub.app to ¬Hub.app)
- if you drag the original application out of the LW folder, you are disrupting pathes that are needed internally. You can drag the app item as usually into the Dock or by cmd-alt as Alias to another place to launch it from there.
- LW 9.x holds some of its config files in ~/Library/Application Support/LightWave3D and the most bunch in ~/Library/Preferences. Some start with "com.newtek.", some with "LightWave3D" and there is a folder "LightWave3D" in "Preferences".

If you have another older LW version installed (or another LW9.x build or 9.6.1), you should separate their configs. For 9.6.1, the easiest would be to create a folder "Preferences" inside the 9.6.1 app folder, or into "LW application folder > SharedSupport".
(For LW10.x this does no longer apply, as 10 uses custom locations for each version: ~/Library/ApplicationSupport/Newtek/Lightwave/10, or 10.1 aso).
I'd seen various users complain about non-launching apps during OpenBeta for 9.6.1, most could resolve it afair.
It might be a license conflict, as meshpig indicates or a Firewall or Network issue or a conflict with another application.

Koudee
09-02-2011, 09:31 AM
Thanks for the replies everyone! I was pretty surprised when I jumped on here to check things out.

@Meshpig: Everything runs great really. I'll respond to the rest to your question in a bit with rsfd. Do you think I should make multiple copies of that key?

@Phil: I actually don't have an opportunity to do anything before the screen "scrambles". Thanks for clearing that icon issue up for me.

@rsfd: I'm installing the plain Lightwave 09 out of the box, a little dated. (I wonder if that couldn't be the problem?) Sentinel dongle included. I'm going to run a re-install and check for those pref folders. I'll rename that Hub while I'm at it as well.

*update*

A window manages to pop up before the error window appears. The box is empty, but the header says "License error".

As far as those pref files, I can't find them. Perhaps because of the version?

Koudee
09-02-2011, 10:41 AM
Not trying to bump my post, but I figured I would say something before I went off to bed, and before you ponder if I'm daft. :D

Its looking to me like a license error. I'll do what meshpig suggested and copy that key. I'll do a few other things, and maybe I can get it up and running tomorrow.

-Cheers

Markc
09-03-2011, 05:45 AM
Even if it is your license that's the problem, Lightwave should still start in Discovery Mode!

meshpig
09-03-2011, 07:09 AM
... Disabling the hub is a myth:)

Phil
09-03-2011, 08:18 AM
Just for my understanding, then :

which exact version of LW are you trying to run : 9.0, 9.2, 9.3 .....?

Is this the old PowerPC version or the Universal Binary version?

rsfd
09-03-2011, 12:00 PM
^ would be my question too.

@Koudee
just click on either Modeler or Layout application icon, then choose 'cmd-i' to open the Info Panel.
It should read at least 'Application (Universal)' for type.
If it reads 'Application (PowerPC)', you need to download a newer version, as PowerPC applications won't run on your machine by default (you would need to install Apple's 'Rosetta' environment to run it, but an 'Universal' version will give you a much better performance).
If you got a 'v.9.0/v9.2 Universal' you should probably go to your NewTek customer account and download a newer version (e.g. v9.6 Universal [32-bit only] or 9.6.1 Universal [defaults to 64-bit, can be set to run as 32-bit application via Info Panel]

Koudee
09-06-2011, 09:45 AM
Ok, sorry about this delay in responding.

Its lightwave 9.0 I'll attach a pick of that info, let me check that info real quick....
.......=Koudee tries download=....

All right, its working!

I'm at least in discovery mode! Do I need to get a new key for the new version from NewTek?

This version still has a lock on it, and when I type in my key, it disappears.

-Edit-

Ok, after the download, I had to create a file in my pref folder. And I copied the old license key into that folder. After that Lightwave was able to find it, and I'm now I'm up and running again!

Thank you :
Meshpig
Phil
markc
and rsfd!

You really helped me out here!

rsfd
09-06-2011, 11:17 AM
:)
I dare to say: we're all glad we could help!
Nice to read you're up and running!