PDA

View Full Version : Speed Modelling Challenge #136 - Respite For Sleep Deprived Parents

akaracquel
08-31-2011, 02:32 AM
Speed Modelling Challenge #136 - Respite For Sleep Deprived Parents
Rules:

1. Every week there will be a subject for you to model along with a time limit. You should spend no longer than the allocated time, then post a render of your model. As in most challenges like this, your honesty on modelling times is essential. How you interpret the brief is up to you as long as the final model conforms to what is asked for.
2. Post a wireframe and a render at 800x600 or larger.
3. LightWave must be used for modelling. 3rd party Plug ins are allowed.
4. You can enter as many times as you like, posting each in this thread. If you run over the time, the model can still be posted but won't be subject to the judging.
5. Time spent on texturing, setting up a scene for a render and rendering is not included in the allocated period.

This week's topic is: Respite For Sleep Deprived Parents

Design something that will bring some respite for acutely sleep deprived parents who spawn babies that are very difficult to console.

:screwy: or pragmatic solutions welcome - anything goes :hey:

Time Limit - 60 minutes.

Deadline - Wed. 7th September August 2011. 22:00 G.M.T.

chco2
08-31-2011, 05:42 AM
lol :)
You mean stuff like sleeping pills and such ?

torturebori007
08-31-2011, 05:56 AM
thats what I was going to say, lol...

akaracquel
08-31-2011, 06:41 AM
Yeah - anything goes. You can be square, or go as far outside of the square as you want, maybe even invent new solutions that don't exist yet. How you interpret the brief - is up to you ;)

BigHache
08-31-2011, 07:02 AM
I'm trying to think how I can model zombification in 1 hour…

torturebori007
08-31-2011, 11:14 AM
I'm trying to think how I can model zombification in 1 hour…

And I cannot wait to see what you come up with...

Iain
09-02-2011, 07:00 AM
Booze always worked for me (I didn't give it to the kids-honest!) but I'll have to be more imaginative..............

chco2
09-02-2011, 09:35 AM
You calling me square ? :cat:

Yeah - anything goes. You can be square, or go as far outside of the square as you want, maybe even invent new solutions that don't exist yet. How you interpret the brief - is up to you ;)

MDSPECIFIC
09-03-2011, 03:36 AM
Modeling 5min, texturing/lightning 20min. ;)

XswampyX
09-03-2011, 04:17 PM
That's a great surface there MDSpecific. :thumbsup:

I said ... "That's a great surface there MDSpecific."
:D

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr16/xXswampyXx/ChloroformBottleRaw.jpg

I also did this... but then read the instructions again. I can't see babies going up the chimney.

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr16/xXswampyXx/DrainRods1Sml.jpg

Iain
09-03-2011, 04:28 PM
I can't see babies going up the chimney.

You've got to get them out earning their keep early!

Nice stuff fellas :thumbsup:

Iain
09-03-2011, 04:48 PM
This is the funniest thing I've seen in ages. I stumbled across it today in a book shop and thought of the challenge.

A book for sleep deprived parents written in the style of a kids book.
Not only is this a real book, its a best seller!
15 minutes all in................

akaracquel
09-03-2011, 06:54 PM
You hit the tail on the donkey Iain :D
MSPECIFIC, XswampyX - :thumbsup:

Rabbitpenny
09-03-2011, 07:19 PM
Crib Mobile. Children cry because they're scared of the complex world. They need to see the world in its most simplified terms...Then off to sleep they go. (The preceding is a load of crap.)
https://sites.google.com/site/rabbitpenny3d/home/CribMobile001.jpg

https://sites.google.com/site/rabbitpenny3d/home/CribMobileCage001.jpg

leroy3rd
09-03-2011, 09:48 PM
This is the funniest thing 've seen in ages. I stumbled across it today in a book shop and thought of the challenge.

A book for sleep deprived parents written in the style of a kids book.
Not only is this a real book, its a best seller!
15 minutes all in................

Samuel L. Jackson does the audiobook, it was brilliant.

XswampyX
09-04-2011, 04:11 AM
Nice book Iain, it looks completely real.

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr16/xXswampyXx/ChloroformBottleWired.jpg

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr16/xXswampyXx/SootBrushWired.jpg

MDSPECIFIC
09-04-2011, 05:44 AM
Nice work guys! :thumbsup:

That's a great surface there MDSpecific. :thumbsup:

Thanks. Nothing spec really, little turbulence bump, little spec and ChanLum for small SSS.

Iain, that little book is fantastic!

akaracquel
09-04-2011, 08:14 AM
Well done Rabbitbpenny! http://slaughterhouse.com.au/LW/emoticons/roa.gif http://slaughterhouse.com.au/LW/emoticons/ccc.gif

COBRASoft
09-04-2011, 08:44 AM
Sometimes you need the good ol' hard methods :thumbsup:.

Modeling about 15 mins.

Rabbitpenny
09-04-2011, 09:01 AM
@akaracquel: Thanks. To be clear, I didn't model the Newell Teapot, but I did use Modeler (loophole). :)

@XSwampyX: That's a beautiful bottle. Did you layout the label or snatch an image from your kid's bottle?

XswampyX
09-04-2011, 09:27 AM
Erm.... :devil:

It came from here :- http://chronophobia.org/poison.htm

Via google images. I cleaned it up a bit.

Thanks. :)

akaracquel
09-06-2011, 06:21 AM
Most I could achieve in 1hr this week.
A special bassinet, with a Virginia O'Brien lullaby attached, from The Big Store.

http://slaughterhouse.com.au/LW/SPEED/136/virginiaobrien01.jpg

http://slaughterhouse.com.au/LW/SPEED/136/virginiaobrien02.jpg

BigHache
09-06-2011, 08:51 AM
Iain, you should check out the audio of that book as read by Samuel L. Jackson.

XswampyX
09-06-2011, 02:48 PM
Anybody seen star wars?

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr16/xXswampyXx/CrypBabySml.jpg

:hey:

RudySchneider
09-06-2011, 03:19 PM
Anybody seen star wars?

Ah, yes, carbonite stasis!

Rabbitpenny
09-06-2011, 03:37 PM
Carbonite, mother's little helper. Very cool, xswampyx.

Iain
09-06-2011, 05:22 PM
Iain, you should check out the audio of that book as read by Samuel L. Jackson.

I saw he had done it (and he's an obvious choice,) but to be honest I think it would mean more read in your own, pained, angst ridden, barely controlled inner voice.:)

akaracquel
09-06-2011, 05:33 PM
Anybody seen star wars?

Thought it was a chocolate or jelly mould at first - had to google to understand it. Good one! hehehe :D :thumbsup:

@COBRASoft - :thumbsup: wooden handle made me laugh because I broke our log splitter last week. :hammer:

http://slaughterhouse.com.au/LW/SPEED/136/logsplitter.jpg

akaracquel
09-06-2011, 05:41 PM
but to be honest I think it would mean more read in your own, pained, angst ridden, barely controlled inner voice.:)

Agree. :bday:

XswampyX
09-06-2011, 05:48 PM
You obviously haven't seen star wars then. Where have you been? :stumped: I won't post the wires, as it's just a displaced plane.

I too had to look up your reference, as all I could think of was the autopilot from airplane. ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfG8zgPxyXQ

akaracquel
09-06-2011, 06:28 PM
@ XswampyX - hehehe yep, very much like the autopilot. Resorted to singing & teaching that version of the traditional lullaby with my son :)

I've always been very lost with regards to Star Wars - struggle hard to understand or remember the story all the time, although i feel it more with the earlier films. Only Star Wars related memorabilia that left a lasting impression on me as a kid - was the 3D pop-up book in the 80s, which i had to rip apart to nut out the paper engineering I wanted to use in a school project. More fascinated by the cool mechanics than actual story in that book tho :)

Crossfire
09-07-2011, 05:07 AM
This is the only remedy I have for sleep! Pop one of these in that little noise maker and she's out like a light. Being a somewhat new dad I realized the EXTREME value is these damn things:D

Took about 25 mins for modeling and another 15 for the scene.

Looks like we've got some good submissions so far!:thumbsup:

akaracquel
09-07-2011, 05:45 AM
Good one Crossfire :thumbsup: Mute button made my son rofl :D

Iain
09-07-2011, 05:57 AM
Its funny-we were dead against the dummy (or whatever it's called in the various parts of the world represented here,) but unless your kids are unusually quiet/sleepy/contented, it is an essential piece of kit.

At one point we had about 8 scattered across the house for easy access :D

Waves of light
09-07-2011, 06:26 AM
This is the only remedy I have for sleep! Pop one of these in that little noise maker and she's out like a light. Being a somewhat new dad I realized the EXTREME value is these damn things:D

Ha ha, most excellent. Problem is, it doesn't work with a 3 year old and a soon to be 9 year old.

PhotoTekArtWork
09-07-2011, 01:36 PM

What a great idea to put those words on one of these. You should have them made up and market them. I bet they would sale. :thumbsup:

Crossfire
09-07-2011, 04:42 PM
What a great idea to put those words on one of these. You should have them made up and market them. I bet they would sale. :thumbsup:

What a great idea!:thumbsup:

Great job so far everyone!

Crossfire
09-07-2011, 04:44 PM
Its funny-we were dead against the dummy (or whatever it's called in the various parts of the world represented here,) but unless your kids are unusually quiet/sleepy/contented, it is an essential piece of kit.

At one point we had about 8 scattered across the house for easy access :D

Where I'm from, we call them binkies or pacifiers:thumbsup:

TRUST ME! I've got at least a dozen of these all over the house. I actually found one in my back pocket at work a few months back....Guess I was trying to be prepared!:D

akaracquel
09-07-2011, 08:50 PM
GMT 22+ Game Over!

Thanks to all who participated in a not so straightforward brief …and dees arr deee rezultz of de Avustraliyaaan jury …which makes me feel so awfully tempted to start giving out points in French like the Eurovision song contest, but I wont! ^_^

@BigHache - if you ever find a way to illustrate zombification, I'm most interested in seeing what it will look like!

MDSPECIFIC
Solution: Kill baby with a bullet, plug up the ears ..or do both at the same time like two birds with one stone. A conceptually creative title with Dead Silence, where it's interpretation is left within the eye of the beholder. Marvellous render & wireframe details at both the tips + bases of the bullet-plugs. Rich & deeply saturated choice of colours generates a playful impression that it could also be a child's toy, or crayons resting against a chalkboard, which extends the journey of contemplating the final render even further. The texture which looks like high density, quality foam-like material - is radiant, and makes Nerf darts look quite lame in comparison. THAT'S A GREAT SURFACE THERE MDSPECIFIC! ..it makes me want to squash them with my fingers, so I can watch them relax back into their original shape like a stress ball.

XswampyX
Solution 1: Shush baby with Chloroform ..or maybe it's for the parents to sniff very deeply into the ether. Humans did use this as an effective form of knock-out anaesthesia once, but by choosing to colour it with such a deeply enticing and lurid violectrified-purple …inside a such a brilliantly sparkling bottle with glimmering high gloss sea-greens …which is humbly sitting on a granite-marbled floor, that doesn't look very childproof, makes it a recipe for intentional disaster :D Fabulous render. My favourite parts were the tapered triangular corners on the sides of the bottle in the wireframe, they look amazing. Another masterful creation.

Solution 2: Stick baby up a very very very long chimney. I had trouble understanding this one but it made me laugh and also reminded me of the Gremlins movie - some part where the girl's dad dies up the chimney pretending to be Santa. The brush looks so spiky I want to put my hand against it to experience it's prickles akin to lying on a bed of nails. It makes me wince thinking of the sound it could make as it does the job it was intended to do. Brass-like threads in the screwing bits look terrific, even though I can also see myself cursing upon trying to assemble it! ^_^ Lovely touch with the shading in the wireframes as well ..which looks like a render trying to pose as a wireframe - very ticklish and eye-catching.

Solution 3: Freeze baby via carbonite stasis. I'm assuming this would have to be excluded from the judging, but conceptually brilliant. If there was a safe form of this technology in the living world, it would be a best seller in numerous markets for all sorts of human needs outside of new parents just wanting to gain some extra shut-eye with baby wrangling ^_^

I greatly admire how you always go the extra mile with these challenges ^_^

Iain
Solution: Give parents something to laugh at, which can also validate they're not alone with the problem via Go The F*k To Sleep. In terms of addressing the brief directly within a living-world context, one of the best solutions if nothing else will work. Hard to tell if the seam in the middle of the book was manually created via the wireframe or surface texture, but it gave the final render a great authentic feel, to the point where it made my virtual fingers want to travel up the seam, to see if I could feel the staples which bind it together. Also enjoyed how it looks like you detailed each page in the wires as well. 10:1, I will enjoy hearing your version of attempting to read this story out loud more than Samuel's ostensibly weary & relaxed edition ^_^

COBRAsoft
Solution: Hit the baby somewhat hard with a mallet ..because the object looks far too heavy to be used as a vehicle of distraction for the baby as a fidget toy. An impressive junction of the handle in your mallet, which doesn't look like a boolean merge my noobish self would've resorted to. I like how that junction makes the mallet seem like it's saying "Oi! You're supposed to go in here and belong with me!" ...to the handle. On that level, I can possibly see how that could work for sleep deprived parents in some way.

Crossfire
Solution: The Pacifying Binky-Dummy, which also features a bonus magical mute button. Good to see a pragmatic traditional solution added to the pool with a humorous twist ^_^ Similar to Go The F*K to Sleep - it can enable validation on this sometimes 'taboo' issue new parents need to deal with, which is one reason why such things become best sellers. Great symmetry in the modelling work I see in the wireframe, which inspires me to practise making holes in this sub-patch headspace as you have. Drop shadowed text made me laugh. I enjoyed how it makes my mind enter that problem-solving zone on how you would go about smoothly extruding them without any hard lines :D

Rabbitpenny
I've been enjoying the concepts in your approach to these challenges a great deal :D Solution: Mobile crib which can teach babies that a teapot is a primary primitive object, which could ideally live at the centre of a child's geometric universe ..possibly after shooting at them with a few rounds of a bibi gun, because someone chose to paint the walls in canary yellow ..and for me, the winner of this challenge :)

When I saw the wireframe - it made my eyes pop out with WOW in terms of this sub-patch mode I'm trying to get familiar with. To see these formations occurring within basic shapes, is enlightening. Conceptually, something about the teapot at the centre makes it feel "just right". Favourite parts - how you modelled the question mark hooks + the protruding knobs on them, and how the crossing bars of the mobile intersect with what looks like a fair degree of complexity to my eye, however also comes across a skillful round of problem solving. Inspiring work. I look forward to your challenge. Congratulations :)

Summary:
Glad those days are long-gone for my family. My reason for the topic - because I facilitated a support group for new mums pro bono for 6 years. Average age of when babies would start sleeping through the entire night in this group, was 8-11 months. Prevalence of post-natal depression within this community, 3-4 times higher than formally reported in mainstream media, with one too many women experiencing the more extreme end of psychosis. If this scene (http://youtu.be/PO57OQswjNo) in Penny Serenade with Cary Grant is anything to go by, it's clearly something parents have had to learn how to deal with for many decades, if not for centuries since the dawn of humanity.

I was curious to see how this subject would pan out within a not so female-exclusive audience that I'm accustomed to. The most refreshing component - seeing people able to deliver something, instead of hearing a chorus of excuses of why they couldn't ..which makes me feel really happy to have long retired from community work! :D

Thanking you all, for chowing down and producing something.

Looking forward to…

NEXT!!!!!! :)

~

P.S - Is there a primary thread we can subscribe to get notified for these challenges? :)

COBRASoft
09-08-2011, 03:45 AM
Congrats Rabbitpenny!

Thx for the great judging akaracquel (damn that's difficult to type :D)!

Iain
09-08-2011, 04:27 AM
Yeah well done Rabbitpenny- I did think there was some lovely details on the frame of your mobile-very nice all in.

Fantastic rundown Akaracquel! Good effort :thumbsup:

Rabbitpenny
09-08-2011, 04:57 AM
A humble thanks all, and especially thanks akaracquel. I have made semi-major decisions in my life without that much analysis. It makes the award that much more special. I'll strive to do as well with my turn.

XswampyX
09-08-2011, 01:56 PM
Wow. What a summery! Thanks for that. :thumbsup:

Nice one Rabbitpenny, great modeling. Smooth.

Next one.

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1180498#post1180498

ArtGoblin
09-11-2011, 07:04 AM
If I had one of these, then maybe I would have turned it in before the deadline hehe.... took just under an hour to model... now I can finally start thinking about some wierd ways to frack zombies :)

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/4429/rockidcompedbeuty.jpg

http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/50/rockidcompedwires.jpg

Rabbitpenny
09-11-2011, 08:21 AM
[QUOTE=ArtGoblin;1181132]If I had one of these, then maybe I would have turned it in before the deadline hehe....QUOTE]

Wait until teenage when they keep you up at night because they don't make a sound. :hey:

Nice model, matches the puzzles you made.

ArtGoblin
09-11-2011, 10:09 AM
hehehe.... can't wait til' he's at the age where I can explain to him what Justin Bieber is and why he souldn't want to aspire to be like him :) (or whatever will be the "todays" Bieber then).

Glad you like it :) It shares very similare shading&texture setup as the Puzzle animals. Only difference is that they were all done with procedurals but this one I opted for some image maps.

shadowlock
09-12-2011, 04:44 PM
The first thing I thought of was Kidstoned Chewable Valium (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8fbHpttc5A). I like the "Just poke em with a stick every once and a while" :D I think it was a SNL skit.

MDSPECIFIC
09-13-2011, 05:22 PM
Congrats Rabbitpenny! :thumbsup:

@ akaracquel: Nice recap!