PDA

View Full Version : just double checking EPS Files

daz1761
08-29-2011, 06:37 AM
After watching William Vaugnes helpful tutorials, i suddenly had a brain wave and thought i will start doing some vector stuff and import an EPS file...

I went into Illustrator CS5 for mac and after reading threads about support problems I saved it out as a CS2 Legacy file, imported the file and there it was...

I did have a error message saying "blah blah could be problems using legacy files etc" but as i drew a simple box and circle everything seemed fine...

My question really is, have I done the right thing? and regarding the error message, will this mean I will encounter problems if i do anything complicated?

Cheers :)

BigHache
08-29-2011, 07:15 AM
The message was in Illustrator, yes? That's SOP for saving down Illustrator files. It's just a warning letting you know that if you've used any shiny new features that were added in your current working Illustrator, those pieces of artwork may not be saved with the older file version.

This will only apply to specific things like brush strokes, gradient mesh and whatnot. A bezier path no matter how many points is just a bezier path and won't be affected.

daz1761
08-29-2011, 07:26 AM
The message was in Illustrator, yes? That's SOP for saving down Illustrator files. It's just a warning letting you know that if you've used any shiny new features that were added in your current working Illustrator, those pieces of artwork may not be saved with the older file version.

This will only apply to specific things like brush strokes, gradient mesh and whatnot. A bezier path no matter how many points is just a bezier path and won't be affected.

Excellent, thats all i wanted to hear as it will just be used when I want to do fancy logos like a football club logo etc, from now on I will export my illustrator stuff as a CS2 EPS.

What it the latest EPS file LW10 will take?

Sorry, yes the message was in Illustrator, something about Text problems, but i didn't type anything

Thanks

daz1761
08-29-2011, 07:34 AM
Ah, i have just tried typing in text in illustrator and exporting it but LW is just showing me a big rectangle polygon :(

The actual message says:

Saving to legacy format may convert all type to point and may disable some editing features when the document is read back in. Also, any hidden Appearance attributes will be discarded...

dwburman
08-29-2011, 07:58 AM
To do type, you need to select it and "Make Outlines" that will turn your text into curves.

I think you actually want to save it as an Illustrator 8 .ai file. At least try that if the EPS doesn't work for you.

daz1761
08-29-2011, 08:11 AM
To do type, you need to select it and "Make Outlines" that will turn your text into curves.

I think you actually want to save it as an Illustrator 8 .ai file. At least try that if the EPS doesn't work for you.

Great :)

I know it sounds really thick and I know this is not the Adobe forum but how do you "Make Outlines" in illustrator? I'm only just starting to learn illustrator so i am not that experienced with it yet but I am excited to incorporate it into my final year project :)

Yes, i did try saving the original Test Text as a Illustrator 8 file but it was blank but that does make sense why it was blank if I hadn't done the conversion

P.s thanks again for the gradient tutorial ;) as i had to watch it again in order to get it right, nice reference video!

BigHache
08-30-2011, 07:06 AM
how do you "Make Outlines" in illustrator?

With the type object selected, go to Type -> Create Outlines

Your text wouldn't have come into LW because LW is looking for curves to create polygons. Live text "isn't" curves, it's text, so it's not recognized by the importer.

It's pretty standard practice that if you will be taking your Illustrator file into another non-Adobe program you'd create outlines, just to eliminate possible conflicts.

daz1761
08-30-2011, 11:03 AM
With the type object selected, go to Type -> Create Outlines

Your text wouldn't have come into LW because LW is looking for curves to create polygons. Live text "isn't" curves, it's text, so it's not recognized by the importer.

It's pretty standard practice that if you will be taking your Illustrator file into another non-Adobe program you'd create outlines, just to eliminate possible conflicts.

Thanks very much :)

I think I have come across that function before as i am currently working through my Classroom In a Book Adobe Book.

Yes, that makes perfect sense now so will try that out tomorrow and get creative :)

prometheus
08-30-2011, 01:06 PM
Remember to save out from illustrator in the old Illustrator 8 format, Iīm most sure you canīt save out in any version above, at least the lightwave
eps importer canīt load anything above that.

Michael

OnlineRender
08-31-2011, 03:03 AM
save out as AI 8 esp files , cs2 and other file formats act funny !

daz1761
09-01-2011, 10:49 AM
Excellent!

Thanks guys will start doing the above when saving out EPS files

Cheers