PDA

View Full Version : High Quality Objects?

daz1761
08-28-2011, 05:20 AM
I was wondering, after you make a simple model and use more than enough geometry, appropriote smoothing and subp, how do you get the quality really high when you render a frame?

When rendering a frame I usually have the resolution set to 1920x1080 and use the perspective camera at 9 pass and normally render out a 32bit .tga but after looking closely I can still see jagged edges when I look at them full screen.

I'm just wondering if there is anything else i can adjust withing the objects properties in order to help?

Many thanks

Sensei
08-28-2011, 06:53 AM
So, your problem is not enough anti-aliasing, not objects..
There is old trick- turn off AA and double/triple resolution, then rescale in Photoshop to original resolution.
Double will render as long as AA pass 4, triple res will render as long as AA pass 9.

daz1761
08-29-2011, 06:04 AM
So, your problem is not enough anti-aliasing, not objects..
There is old trick- turn off AA and double/triple resolution, then rescale in Photoshop to original resolution.
Double will render as long as AA pass 4, triple res will render as long as AA pass 9.

So if I want super super high quality I should just triple the res with AA pass 9 or turn it off completely?

Also, what is the best setting to use within the Render SubPatch Properties?

Cheers

Sensei
08-29-2011, 06:25 AM
So if I want super super high quality I should just triple the res with AA pass 9 or turn it off completely?

That's old school anti-aliasing. If built-in AA fails, you can try it to check whether edges will be smoothed better..

Also, what is the best setting to use within the Render SubPatch Properties?

That depends on whether you are or not using displacement after sub-d.. For regular purposes, default is fine. But remember that CC sub-patches are calculated using formula (2^level)^2 (f.e. level = 3, (2^3)^2 =64 polygons), but old sub-patches using level * level (f.e. level = 3, 3*3=9 polygons). So changing level when you have CC used, changes dramatically number of generated polygons.

daz1761
08-29-2011, 06:31 AM
That's old school anti-aliasing. If built-in AA fails, you can try it to check whether edges will be smoothed better..

That depends on whether you are or not using displacement after sub-d.. For regular purposes, default is fine. But remember that CC sub-patches are calculated using formula (2^level)^2 (f.e. level = 3, (2^3)^2 =64 polygons), but old sub-patches using level * level (f.e. level = 3, 3*3=9 polygons). So changing level when you have CC used, changes dramatically number of generated polygons.

Excellent, god i wish i was good at maths lol, i think i will have to have a play around as you say, when you mean old school AA, do you mean using the classic camera?

Many thanks

Sensei
08-29-2011, 06:32 AM
Whatever- it works with any application.. ;)

Also the advantage is that it works with color spaces (sRGB etc), and will work with highly bright HDRI pixels (f.e. when Luminosity channel is 1000%). Regular AA is failing with it.

daz1761
08-29-2011, 07:10 AM
Whatever- it works with any application.. ;)

Also the advantage is that it works with color spaces (sRGB etc), and will work with highly bright HDRI pixels (f.e. when Luminosity channel is 1000%). Regular AA is failing with it.

Excellent!

I'd better go and get modeling some more stuff so I can try it out ;)

Thanks for your help