PDA

View Full Version : 850 Extreme backup scenario, have a hardware panel to select your 850TW sources

jandw
08-26-2011, 07:35 AM
I'm thinking of this setup, with two goals in mind:

create a backup switching solution if the 850 fails
as a bonus, have a matrix, and a hardware panel to choose your replay sources for 850TW

What do you think?

These are the prerequisites:

have SDI sources (HD or SD)
have these sources genlocked (because this solution doesn't deliver synced outputs)
have one of the Blackmagic Design matrix routers (http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/videohub/), or maybe this one, as an alternative: http://www.tvonebenelux.com/c3-340-main.shtml
use a TC850 Extreme (because that's the only TC which has a hardware failover input)

How would I create the setup?

connect each SDI source to the BMD matrix inputs
connect the BMD outputs to the TC
input 8 on the TC850 Extreme is it's failover input: if the TC850 fails completely, this input will be looped through to the TC850 Extreme PGM out (or so the manual says ...)
you could make HD SDI signals of the interface and multiview outputs of the TC and bring them into the BMD Videohub
expand the BMD Videohub with a hardware panel which switches on the output that goes to input 8 on the TC
if the TC fails completely, you can still switch sources using the BMD hardware panel (or with their iPad software for that matter)
use the same hardware panel (or iPad software) to switch inputs on that TC input 8. Use input 8 as the source for the 850TW controlled DDR (where you record for slomo's). This way you would have a hardware input switcher for the slomo operator to choose which camera he wishes to record for slomo's.

I think adding a central matrix/router to your TC setup, and adding this workflow, greatly enhances the possibilities of the TC. This setup gives you an emergency switcher (which in case your sources are genlocked, will switch without visible glitches) in case the TC goes down completely, and gives you a hardware panel for your slomo operator to choose its sources.

And I believe bringing the UI monitors of the TC in the router, gives you a lot of extra's too: you can distribute your multiview to several positions: one for the TD/director, another for the slomo-guy, ... as far as SDI-cable takes you!

What do you guys think? Or would this be overkill?

PIZAZZ
08-26-2011, 11:10 AM
Overkill.... Ha.
Planning for a problem is never overkill.

We have been doing this exact type of setup for the last couple years for our clients and also for the NewTek trade shows even. Patch everything into the BMD router and then use it to distribute out the feeds.

multishow
04-11-2012, 04:46 PM
Hi, some months after this post was started, but we're now starting to think about getting a Matrix Router. My question is if there is a router that gives you the posibility of converting an HD input to SD (of course routers are not my speciallity). The usual problem is that most screens at the events here in Argentina are still SD so we have to use the AUX out set to "composite", but that reduces the chance of sending different feeds to many screens... Any idea?

PIZAZZ
04-11-2012, 05:07 PM
Hi, some months after this post was started, but we're now starting to think about getting a Matrix Router. My question is if there is a router that gives you the posibility of converting an HD input to SD (of course routers are not my speciallity). The usual problem is that most screens at the events here in Argentina are still SD so we have to use the AUX out set to "composite", but that reduces the chance of sending different feeds to many screens... Any idea?

You would need to use a format convertor and hang it off one of the router's outputs. The FS1 by Aja is the most popular in broadcast circles. BMD does make a Up/Down Cross converter that would work too.

multishow
04-11-2012, 05:15 PM
I was hoping that wasn't the only chance, but I didn`t find what I was looking for anywhere. I will have to invent one!!!

PIZAZZ
04-11-2012, 05:41 PM
You could always buy 2 Tricasters.