PDA

View Full Version : Self Interaction, Dynamics

daz1761
08-26-2011, 05:25 AM
I have recently set up a simple ball and bowling pins scene using HardFX on the pins and using a ball as a collision...

I got it looking good but i noticed the pins were falling through each other and not interacting, so I set the interaction to sphere and box but the pins started to go a bit pair shaped. So in order for my scene to look good I had to cheat and use different camera angles as the ball smashes the pins out of the way :)

I have been doing lots of tutorials but the objects always seem to be either boxes or sphere shaped objects that interact...

I have attached a picture to make my scene a bit clearer

Thanks

Chrusion
08-27-2011, 07:07 AM
Assuming you modeled a single pin and cloned them in layout, why not just apply FX Collision to each pin and set the mode to Object-Advanded so the complex shape of the pin IS your collision surface?

daz1761
08-27-2011, 08:25 AM
Assuming you modeled a single pin and cloned them in layout, why not just apply FX Collision to each pin and set the mode to Object-Advanded so the complex shape of the pin IS your collision surface?

That is correct, i modeled one pin then cloned them all within 1 layer, i don't quite follow as my ball and ground surface are collision objects and the cloned layer of pins has the HardFX dynamic assigned to it so I am not quite sure where to go from here?

Thanks

Chrusion
08-27-2011, 05:19 PM
What I'm saying is try a different way as I'm not sure Hard FX has the desired resolution needed for this sim.

Instead of one object (layer) of 10 pins, use a single object of just one pin and in Layout apply FX Collision > Object-Advanced to it, then clone it 9 times and position each object to form the 10-pin triangle on top of the collision ground. Then roll your ball object.

Maybe better would be to set up collision properties on the one pin so it reacts to the ball as desired, then clone and see if their interaction is appropriate. if not, you can always delete/remove the 9 pins from the scene, adjust the properties on the one pin and clone again.

Remember to set the pivot point of the pin to the bottom (bottom = 0 on Y in modeler)

daz1761
08-28-2011, 05:10 AM
What I'm saying is try a different way as I'm not sure Hard FX has the desired resolution needed for this sim.

Instead of one object (layer) of 10 pins, use a single object of just one pin and in Layout apply FX Collision > Object-Advanced to it, then clone it 9 times and position each object to form the 10-pin triangle on top of the collision ground. Then roll your ball object.

Maybe better would be to set up collision properties on the one pin so it reacts to the ball as desired, then clone and see if their interaction is appropriate. if not, you can always delete/remove the 9 pins from the scene, adjust the properties on the one pin and clone again.

Remember to set the pivot point of the pin to the bottom (bottom = 0 on Y in modeler).

Ah, i see, its starting to make sense now, I think like you say i have gone about it the wrong way as i forgot you can clone in layout, perhaps I could use the "Force" property with HardFX on the Ball Object to get the ball to collide with the pins?

The only thing i liked about cloning within modeler is that I got the spacing spot on with the pins using the clone properties, is there a way of doing it similar with layout?

Thanks again for your help :)

Chrusion
08-28-2011, 08:58 AM
Just use your existing 10-pin object as a "template" in layout. That is, load both it and the single pin object and using Top View, align the single pins on top of the 10-pin object, then delete the 10-pin object.

OR!

Just break up the 10-pin object into individual layers in modeler and center the pivot point for each layer's pin, then load this single, multi-layer object into layout and apply FX Collision to each pin layer.

daz1761
08-29-2011, 06:01 AM
Just use your existing 10-pin object as a "template" in layout. That is, load both it and the single pin object and using Top View, align the single pins on top of the 10-pin object, then delete the 10-pin object.

OR!

Just break up the 10-pin object into individual layers in modeler and center the pivot point for each layer's pin, then load this single, multi-layer object into layout and apply FX Collision to each pin layer.

Excellent, thank you very much for your help :)