PDA

View Full Version : Steve Jobs steps down as CEO

borkus
08-25-2011, 08:36 AM
Steve Jobs resigsn as CEO due to health reasons (http://blogs.computerworld.com/18859/steve_jobs_resigns_steps_down_on_health_grounds_wo rld_shocked?af)

While I have never particularly liked the man or his policies and have never been known to be a fan of Apple products, I do wish the man the best of luck because I never wish to see anyone go through extensive health related issues. I lost my mother to lung cancer years ago and have seen many members of my family also go through numerous struggles. It's never easy and always takes the strongest of heart to endure. I do however believe that if anyone can do it, it would be this man. His list of achievements is impressive collectively for ourselves as americans, let alone for a singular person. Here is also a link to a speech he gave at Stanford in 2005 that gives you a little bit better of a picture of him as a person rather then a corporate entity.

Steve Jobs Stanford 2005 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1R-jKKp3NA)

4dartist
08-25-2011, 09:12 AM
We use Apple computers here at work and I've had a lot of respect for the design and quality of these machines. I knew the day would come, and I hope that since he is staying on the board he will still have a lot of influence in the design of their products.

I do hope that now they can start producing Mac Pros a little more frequently. :)

cresshead
08-26-2011, 05:49 AM
he seems a nice guy so i hope this reduced workload can help him recover better/faster.

meshpig
08-26-2011, 07:05 AM
Apple is the best Corporate USA has to offer apart from being the n#2 Co. in the world... like Hoover and Ford used to be. God Bless!

- Mum, the chord on this vacuum cleaner has had the d*ck.

Never mind Johnny just call the President. But Apple are very good with replacing stuff gratis and funnily enough the more Apple products you own the easier it becomes.

Why would you bother with the great unwashed and vulgar regions of PC land:D

Shabazzy
08-26-2011, 08:47 PM
Like you Borkus, I'm absolutely no Apple fan boi and I also dislike the way they do business. Credit where credit is due however, they do make some fine products but I just hate that you have to sell your soul and freedom to enjoy them.

And given that these policies were the brain-child of Mr Jobs back in the early eighties, it says a lot about how much of a pig headed control freak he is not to have changed them much since then.

But even though I'm no fan of his, I do respect what he has achieved and admire his leadership of Apple since his return after being given the boot by the board. His business ideas are truly ingenius and he absolutely 'just gets it' when selling to the public. That's why it's really sad to see him suffering with ill-health given all that he has to offer. I really hope that he makes a full recovery and continues to lead a strong and healthy life since love him or hate him, you gotta admit life without Steve Jobs is hard to imagine.

Get well soon Steve.

Shabazzy

Titus
08-26-2011, 09:36 PM
he seems a nice guy so i hope this reduced workload can help him recover better/faster.

He's not nice, but he's been very brave fighting cancer. TMZ published a picture of him after his resignation letter, things doesn't look good.

Danner
08-27-2011, 08:11 AM
he knew we wanted things with sleek designs
he knew we wanted user friendly interfaces
he knew we would love quality 3d animated films
he knew the floppy had to die
he knew we would pay for music if we had a cheap simple alternative to buying CDs
he knew how we wanted our personal music players
he knew we wanted an iphone (I did, even before it was invented)
he knew we wanted tablets before any of us had a clue about them.

Nangleator
08-28-2011, 05:26 AM
Where would Windows be without Apple?

meshpig
08-28-2011, 07:12 AM

DOS command line, no fonts, no colour graphics, no nothin just the raw business terminal. Freakin would have failed dismally :)

Lightwolf
08-28-2011, 07:26 AM
It's be different, but it'd still be there. The WIMP concept was all over the place at the time.

Cheers,
Mike

Cageman
08-28-2011, 08:05 AM
he knew we wanted things with sleek designs
he knew we wanted user friendly interfaces
he knew we would love quality 3d animated films
he knew the floppy had to die
he knew we would pay for music if we had a cheap simple alternative to buying CDs
he knew how we wanted our personal music players
he knew we wanted an iphone (I did, even before it was invented)
he knew we wanted tablets before any of us had a clue about them.

While Apple certanly were the first to make things like the iPad and such things, they were not the fist ones comming up with the concept. I remember in the late 90's, there were concept drawings of Amiga-computers showing handheld devices with graphics displays that would serve as a means of storage for data, IR-control and also surfing the web with.

http://www.amigahistory.co.uk/kyotocon.html

meshpig
08-28-2011, 08:22 AM
While Apple certanly were the first to make things like the iPad and such things, they were not the fist ones comming up with the concept. I remember in the late 90's, there were concept drawings of Amiga-computers showing handheld devices with graphics displays that would serve as a means of storage for data, IR-control and also surfing the web with.

http://www.amigahistory.co.uk/kyotocon.html

As there were in episodes of Star Trek ... but gee those air driven doors would sh*t you hey?

Titus
08-28-2011, 11:08 AM

Yeah, I remember well when he said: "don't treat your customers as criminals... here's itunes". It was in the middle of the RIAA suit frenzy.

COBRASoft
08-28-2011, 01:07 PM
I remember the Final Cartridge III for my C64. It had a basic windows system embedded. Even this was more advanced than DOS many years later. So, Windows without Apple... They would just have looked to somebody else to copy from :).

Intuition
08-28-2011, 02:16 PM
Some of our older members here, like myself, probably had Apple2 e in their schools at one point. This was my first computer experience. Then later a C64 and eventually the 8086,286,386,486, family etc.

I've never been a huge fan of apple but have always liked that there was another computer company to choose from in case DOS,windows ever went stagnant.

I have complained about Apple sending jobs to China and not giving the savings of manufacturing there to the US customer. BUT, I totally dig Steve Jobs' design and creative sensibilities. Sad to see such a colossus like himself being brought down in such a manner. I wish he could have a long life and retire much much older then he had to.

Apple fan or not, you have to admire this guy.

Even in our industry, his belief that Pixar was going to be successful probably made the current state of our technology possible. If Pixar hadn't happened the render technologies may be like 3-5 years behind where it is now. Catmull's subD routine, Renderman's, displacement, DoF, mBlur, etc. All were made into SIGGRAPH papers by which other great engines based their tech on.

Thanks to Steve, even with only one apple product (iPod) in my house, still made my life better in other areas too.

:jam: :beerchug:

jasonwestmas
08-28-2011, 03:22 PM
Yeah I think it was the concept artists and writers for star trek where 'I' first saw the digital tablet. Not sure which movie. The idea of a tablet is extremely old ofc.

Danner
08-28-2011, 04:33 PM
When the Ipad was first introduced I thought it was ridiculous, a redundant piece of equipement that was doomed to fail.

I have one now...

Titus
08-28-2011, 07:50 PM
Yeah I think it was the concept artists and writers for star trek where 'I' first saw the digital tablet. Not sure which movie. The idea of a tablet is extremely old ofc.

Yes, that device was called... a PADD:

http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/PADD

But as the article clearly says:

"used as early as the 22nd century and well into the 24th century."

the iPad came first :D.

BigHache
08-29-2011, 08:32 AM
For those interested in the wayback machine, here's a clip (http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/eng/nicholas_negroponte_in_1984_makes_5_predictions.ht ml) from the first TED Talk in 1984 with Nicholas Negroponte showing touch screen computer technology and discussing finger gestures.