PDA

View Full Version : phasespace improv testing

clagman
08-24-2011, 08:58 AM
After some testing I can say that this sytem is just great! The main thing that impressed me was the lack of marker swapping. Actress sits in computer chair (the kind with casters...a real chair with high back) and she spins the chair around while sitting in it. It was just amazing how well it tracked. She is also a gymnast and did some hand springs and roundoff etc and it tracked her very accurately (these are the 240hz cameras not the 480hz).

The area is 6x6x3 meters with 3 walls (the room is more rectangular) and the live area ended up being around 4.5x4.5. As good as these cameras are I'm sure it would have supported a larger live space, even with only 8 cameras.

Problems arise with the velcro on the LEDs and carpet liking each other a bit much, and the "gloves" and "feet coverings" are pretty cheap/awful but they do the job. Overall I'm quite happy with it so far. Haven't tried the realtime aspect to it yet but the c3d capture is very nice.

stiff paper
08-24-2011, 12:21 PM
Hah. That's... good. I've been sitting here worrying you were going to hate it after I said it'd impressed me... and then you'd feel compelled to hunt me down and beat me with sticks or something.

I know the system I saw was the full blown jobbie, but one of the things that most impressed me was that the data looked to me like it didn't need any cleaning and fixing, or at least, massively less of it than the older systems I've seen. D'you think that's still true with the cut-down version?

clagman
08-24-2011, 02:07 PM
I think the main difference between the two systems is that the full up uses 480hz cameras (good for extremely fast motions) and that you can expand it. If you are stuck with a smaller space you can't really use more than 8 cameras effectively anyway and most of the mocap we are doing don't require high speed beyond what it does now.

Having said that, I had very little to do in the way of cleaning even with only 8 cams. Mostly to do with the feet when crouching and with leg motions when prone (expected with all LEDs obscured).

Very happy. It completely beats the crap out of the previous setup (12 camera optitrack) in everyway possible.