PDA

View Full Version : Render with anti-aliased edges but aliased textures?

Konidias
08-24-2011, 01:02 AM
Is this possible? I know you can render with anti-aliased textures but aliased edges using spriteedger... but how can I get nice smooth anti-aliased edges while maintaining crisp unmodified textures? I turned off mipmapping and such but it doesn't prevent a texture from getting anti-aliased during the render.

Danner
08-24-2011, 02:19 AM
not sure I follow.. turn off pixel blending maybe?

Konidias
08-24-2011, 02:32 AM
Doesn't get rid of anti-aliasing though... I want textures to render as if they were not aliased at all. Like when aliasing is set to 0... except I want the edge of the model to still be anti-aliased so that the edges are smooth but the inner textures are aliased.

evolross
08-24-2011, 10:22 AM
Would you mind posting a render to illustrate the problem?

praa
08-24-2011, 11:58 AM
try this:

open image editor
select your texture
mipmap mode to antialiasing and NOT softness

Konidias
08-25-2011, 12:05 AM
Hmmm not working. :( Anyone else have any ideas?

Danner
08-25-2011, 07:17 AM
yes, I have an idea. resize your images (the ones you use as textures) to a much bigger size in photoshop but resample it using "Nearest neighbor" This will make the image larger but retain the pixelated look of the original. Reload it in lightwave and I think that is the look you are after.

archijam
08-25-2011, 08:04 AM
It's a good question though .. imagine just 1 texture has very fine lines, that are already antialiased ... further antialiasing will turn them to ****. Per-material, it might be useful to disable antialiasing, except edges to other materials (trans or bg).

It's te same problem with a background plate being antialiased even when it is just an image. This cannot be disabled afaik, and often is a good reason for ALWAYS comping in the the bg ...