PDA

View Full Version : FibreFX and Network Rendering

j0SH
08-23-2011, 10:01 PM
I am having trouble getting desired results with FibreFX using Butterfly Net Render. I suspect it's a hardware problem but maybe there is something wrong with my scene file.

If I render from my local machine everything looks as was intended. But rendering on the network I've had issues with the fibres coming out black or coming out jittery in animations (volume only unchecked).

Any idea's as to why?

3D Kiwi
08-23-2011, 10:37 PM
Is there anyway to cache FFX???

j0SH
08-23-2011, 10:58 PM
Not that I can find

3D Kiwi
08-23-2011, 11:09 PM
My guess is each node on your farm is calculating FFX differently hence the flickering. If you cant cache it then the only solution i can come up with is to render on one box as you tried. Someone else may have more info for you tho.

j0SH
08-23-2011, 11:15 PM
Exactly and it's just not viable for the amount of rendering required. Chances are FibreFX won't get used much here. Which is unfortunate.

Greenlaw
08-24-2011, 02:12 AM
That sounds odd. FWIW, I did a few animated hair and fur tests with FFX during the 10.1 beta testing and did not have a flickering issue. The only caching required was for the .mdd file used the animate the fibers.

The tests were rendered using BNR and 10.1 x64 bit. This was towards the end of beta testing and I did not run the tests again after 10.1 was released. If I have time tomorrow, I'll run the tests again and let you know what happens.

Just curious but what platform are you rendering with? Mac, Win, x32, x64, or mixed? Also, make sure your shadow and AA settings are appropriately set for final quality rendering; I think the default settings may result in low quality and possible flickering.

G.

Greenlaw
08-24-2011, 02:17 AM
This might sound obvious but were the 10.1 configs used by your BNR farm clean configs when you ran the setup wizard? As mentioned elsewhere, 10.0 and earlier config files are not compatible with FFX for 10.1 (among other 10.1 features.)