PDA

View Full Version : Weights and Bones bug or not??

badllarma
10-11-2003, 01:05 PM
Ok I've been pulling my hair out trying to understand this one think I may of solved it.
Been rigging a character and some time the skelegons are turned into bones and sometimes when in layout there not even to be found?
What I've found is as I've been setting up the skelegons I've been looking at the weight maps name via the "W" tab. To make sure when in layout and I convert the skelegons to bones 99% of the weight maps are asigned automatically.

IF you create skelegons while the W tab is set to a weight map "name" rather than "none" when you go into Layout none of the skelegons created?

So is this a bug or me being a bit dull and not rembering all my weight map names?

Also another question

Is there away of asigning a key to a tab along the top menu
ideally I'd like to have F1 F2 F3 set to each tab.

cheers
andy

hrgiger
10-11-2003, 07:29 PM
I was a little confused by the question but I'll try to answer as best I can.
Make sure all your skelegons are on one layer. If you do have skelegons on different layers, you'll have to convert the skelegons to bones for each layer in Layout.
If you skelegon names are exactly the same as the bones you are assigning them to, they are often automatically assigned to that bone when you setup your weight maps via the bone weight maps tool. However, to ensure that they are assigned what you really want to do is use the skelegon tree under the detail tab to make sure each bone is assigned to the proper weight map. When you convert your bones in Layout, whatever maps are assigned in the skelegon tree will be assigned in layout.

badllarma
10-12-2003, 01:40 AM
Hi hrgiger,
There is not confusion as to how to set up the bones and weight maps it's just if you were to say be in the middle of creating and naming your Skelegons and you wanted to match a skelegon name (to be the bone name in Layout). To a weight map
name.

And think I'll click on the weight tab "W" just to check how that weight map was spelt anything after that click on W will not be there when you convert the skelegons to bones in layout?

Been driving me nuts this one as I could not figure out that some times the skelegons to bones was there when I converted them in Layout and other times none were created. I did a test and found that as I was naming the skelegons and used the "W" tab to check a spelling of a weight map the skelegons were NOT there to convert to bones in Layout as a result.

The Skelegon Tree is a pain in the ***** anyway as you have to close it every time you editied it before you can do anything else. I've even set F2 (keyboard short cut) to open it only to find you still need to click on the x (top right of the box) to close it. Pressing F2 again does not close it :confused:

badllarma
10-12-2003, 02:09 AM
Any one still confused try this little test

In Modeler
Create a stick (extrude a cylinder) give it 3 sections on the Y axis. Right then select the various ploys and create your weight maps eg bottom, middle and top (for the three sections of the cylinder).

Create your skelegons also naming them bottom, middle and top
Save object

Go into Layout
Open object
Covert skelegons to bones and of course you get three bones bottom, middle and top that are assigned tto the bottom middle and top weight map names
---------------------------------------------------
RIGHT now try this
In Modeler
Create a stick (extrude a cylinder) give it 3 sections on the Y axis. Right then select the various ploys and create your weight maps eg bottom, middle and top (for the three sections of the cylinder). (as before)

Create your skelegons and as you are naming them lets pretend you don't now how you spelt the word "middle" for the middle skelegon name so to check you click on the "W" tab and go down the (very short) list of weight map names and leave W reading "middle" rather than "none" so when you open the Skelegon Tree to name you middle skelegon you know how to spell it the same as you weight map.

now save your object (still while W is set to "middle")

Go into Layout
Open object
Covert skelegons to bones and guess what there are NO bones created!!!!
---------------------------------------------------------

Ok ..ok I know who is not going to rember a name of a weight map called "middle" BUT if you have a character with say 15 weigh maps and wanting to name you 15 skelegons

was that charactername_arm_upper_L OR charactername_upper_arm_L and click on the "W" to go down your list of weight maps to check...........hopefully someone will get my point.

Of course this will all change for LW 8
:D

kevman3d
10-13-2003, 02:04 AM
Um, I hate to break it to you, but I followed your instructions as well as I could and well, all my bones were created without any issues?

Are you using any plugins to set up your skelegons? ie. Like DStorms Skelegon Editor? Or are you using just the plain-out-of-box LightWave?

Also, what version are you running? 7.5? 7.5b? 7.5c?

Hmmm, mysterious stuff! :confused:

mjanson
10-13-2003, 06:09 AM
You might try this... won't solve any problems but it is an easier way of working... at least for me...

1. Assign Rename Skelegon to a shortcut (i have it on ctrl+r). Saves a lot of time to do renaming.

2. Try Skelegon Editor plug in from DStorm which rocks in comparison to the Skelegon Tree.

Just a thought...

/Magnus

McLeft
10-13-2003, 11:48 AM
Yes, try SkelegonEditor:
http://www.dstorm.co.jp/dslib/bone-e.html#SkelegonEditor

badllarma
10-14-2003, 12:05 AM
Cheers kevman3d for having ago,
running 7.5c out of the box no fancy plugins running, really strange:confused:

It's not too bad now I know what it is, but while I was trying to work it out it was driving me mad taking all that time to set it all up then sod all I'm sure you can imagine, even the dog went running for cover by the 3rd time I was cursing:rolleyes:

Just though I'd post up here to see if anyone had had simlar problems, I think my main problem is I need to sort out my short term memory so I can rember the spelling in the first place and not touch that "W" :D

cheers for the comments guys I'll have a look at SkelegonEditor while I'm at it.