PDA

View Full Version : No newsletters anymore from lw

drako
08-23-2011, 03:30 PM
No core,no stereo camera settings for the render,no renderpasses and now no newsletters and also no more news from siggraph.....
NO MARKETING.....I DON T ENJOY AT ALL.....:cursin:

Cageman
08-24-2011, 01:51 AM
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1172524&postcount=1

Not much, but at least some info... not just about Siggraph 2011, but 2012 as well...

:)

50one
08-24-2011, 04:18 AM
Don't want to ruin the party for y'all but looking at the message from Chuck:

NewTek is also planning a special event in Los Angeles this coming November

The hidden key word here is "is planning" :)

The Newsletter:

Why you're waiting fro a newsletter Drako anyway? it's the most uninformative piece of marketing I've ever seen in my life, the artwork is brilliant - make no mistake, but usually you can find it here first or anywhere else on diff. LW forum. + more things that are not getting mentioned in the newsletter.

-EsHrA-
08-24-2011, 04:28 AM
oh oh another "big" announcement from NT...

Hieron
08-24-2011, 05:10 AM
"a special event in Los Angeles"

Bleh, the 16th Sep. there's a Modo event in Utrecht. Also, Brad was in Amsterdam on his Eurotour like 6 months ago? Event in LA.. who cares (outside LA area)?

May check out the Modo event, my business partner uses Modo and is going anyway.

lardbros
08-24-2011, 05:39 AM
Yeah, no newsletter is a big mistake in my eyes. The Newsletters may seem pointless and uninformative for some, but then the Modo ones I receive aren't (and I don't even use Modo.)... but they give me a heads up on what the hells going on in other camps.

Newtek's marketing has always sucked balls big time... so don't know why I moan about it a lot, it's just a massive shame, because marketing works!!!

50one
08-24-2011, 08:38 AM
The Newsletters may seem pointless and uninformative for some, but then the Modo ones I receive aren't (and I don't even use Modo.)... but they give me a heads up on what the hells going on in other camps.

I was talking specifically about LW newsletter, this is Newtek forum, no Lux forum:).
Rest of the newsletters I'm receiving are okay, do what they're suppose to do, you know - inform, build interest maybe even call for some certain actions...

Nicolas Jordan
08-24-2011, 08:54 AM
I figure if Newtek started doing newsletters again they should have at least kept up with it for a while. Is there just not enough content to put in them? Sometimes I just don't understand why some simple marketing isn't maintained. Heck even Peter Jackson can find the time to keep his fans informed about the production of the Hobbit amidst a busy schedule of filming. As a customer I think it would be a good idea for Newtek to continue some kind of ongoing regular communications with it's customers and community.

evenflcw
08-24-2011, 09:41 AM
Newtek's marketing has always sucked balls big time...

Well according to yourself, it didn't always suck. When the newsletters came out on a monthly basis it atleast did not suck as much. And that's NT\LWs main problem across the board. They are too inconsistent. They can have a good thing going and then suddenly just stop doing it for whatever reason, seemingly no reason at all.

Nicolas Jordan
08-24-2011, 09:51 AM
They are too inconsistent. They can have a good thing going and then suddenly just stop doing it for whatever reason, seemingly no reason at all.

:agree: It is easy for us as customers to see these things.

lardbros
08-24-2011, 12:14 PM
Agree with you all... But we still hear nothing from Newtek marketing. They are pretty useless... The going silent that Newtek are now doing seems to have been communicated to the marketing team too... Don't think the memo was meant for them though.

You should check out the SpeedEdit marketing... It's even worse than the Lightwave stuff, they are losing customers left right and centre because no one knows what's going on with updates etc

prometheus
08-24-2011, 01:50 PM
A newsletter before august is over..saying that there won´t be a newsletter in august, now that would be an improvement..even thou they would be completly wrong in that newsletter stating that.

Michael

lardbros
08-24-2011, 02:24 PM
A newsletter before august is over..saying that there won´t be a newsletter in august, now that would be an improvement..even thou they would be completly wrong in that newsletter stating that.

Michael

Hahaha! No chance this will happen... the first rule about Newtek is, no one ever talks about Newtek

prometheus
08-24-2011, 11:12 PM
What happens in newtek...stays in newtek!!

Sounds like a familiar movie...

Michael

lardbros
08-25-2011, 05:20 AM
Talking about marketing... had a VERY short email from Canon the other day telling me about their large format printers having a code scanning system on the roll of paper, so they know what type of paper is being used... clever... and nice marketing, because i'm talking about it...

Newtek... take heed!!!!!!

50one
08-25-2011, 05:44 AM
I like email shots from Chaos Group, they look nice & clean, packed with lots of eye candy / newses / insights / videos.

lardbros
08-25-2011, 06:31 AM
I mean, sooo much good work has been done using LW recently, and the gallery is just stagnant. From an admin point of view, how long REALLY does it take to put some nice images in every week?? Come on! Or how about the videos from siggraph somewhere on the front page rather than in the poorly designed Newtek TV ? I don't want to wade through tonnes of TriCaster stuff to find LW snippets. They need to be nicely arranged on a specific page for LW videos, and in chronological order too would be nice!

Yes, it takes up a bit of time, and yes it needs someone with basic design skills, but surely they can hire someone to do this kind of stuff? I would love to know what the marketing 'team' (is there a team?) are doing right now... when it's this quiet!

Nicolas Jordan
08-25-2011, 06:57 AM
Yes, it takes up a bit of time, and yes it needs someone with basic design skills, but surely they can hire someone to do this kind of stuff?

Remember the "Deacon" he was hired to do that kind of stuff and then he mysteriously disappeared. :stumped:

rikka+
08-25-2011, 07:07 AM
If i must receive another newsletter with useless highlights like a terrible pottery site,
i say...better without it.
And by the way, do a newsletter is a very basic design skill.

50one
08-25-2011, 07:23 AM
Remember the "Decon" he was hired to do that kind of stuff and then he mysteriously disappeared.

Yeah, last time I've heard about him, was like aaaages ago, someone saw him running from NT headquarters and screaming like a sissy:D.

lardbros
08-25-2011, 09:55 AM
If i must receive another newsletter with useless highlights like a terrible pottery site,
i say...better without it.
And by the way, do a newsletter is a very basic design skill.

I know... BUT, if someone has NO design skill they can look horrendous. Back when Ben Vost used to do them they were always lovely...

you'd have thought designing and laying out the Lightwave manuals only needed minimal design skill, but they look very tired and crappy. Just take a look at 3dCoat's manual, and his team isn't as large as Newtek's on Lightwave

drako
08-25-2011, 12:37 PM
ok first of all i have to say that the marketing of Newtek has to be more creative
and more competitive these days.Thanks to all the guys that showed me things
but all of that were not new....We have to concetrate to new minds new movements.
Blender Foundation plays the game very well so Maxon and Luxology.
Sometimes i think that we dont have creative artists enough and please not offense but
rendering dead nature or usual objects doesnt seem to have something creative.
We need more ....so newsletters showing Pixomondo and Lightwave
YES THATS MARKETING.....
SO IF SOMEONE DONT LIKE NEWSLETTERS NO PROBLEMO....
BUT AUTODESK BEFORE HAS STARTED FROM MARKETING....
Showing to the consumers of what Lightwave is capable to do....
Tools to creative artists make people to jump over...
Remember ZBrush 1 and remember ZBrush 4...
The interface is difficult for a newbie but the newsletters and some
jobs from VFX houses including ILM have started the revolution in sculpting.
Now every school knows ZBrush.In 2000 nobody knows a lot about this software.
Now tutorials from Digital Tutors,Gnomon,FXPHD are a must and thats also
mini marketing that drives the new 3D community the new clients.
So remember no marketing,no newsletters NO FUTURE....

Matt
08-26-2011, 12:56 AM
... and the gallery is just stagnant.

On that note, I would urge people to submit work for the gallery, it needs some fresh work, less forum chatter, more work.

There, I said it!

:p

Dexter2999
08-26-2011, 02:59 AM
There are a few things I haven't been happy with lately with Newtek.

The frequency of the marketing I am not crazy about.

The quality of what I see when there is marketing is very nice.

Just my opinion.

lardbros
08-26-2011, 06:49 AM
On that note, I would urge people to submit work for the gallery, it needs some fresh work, less forum chatter, more work.

There, I said it!

Fair point Matt... but the great work that people are doing isn't getting hunted down and posted in there either. The image of Jack Sparrow I posted in the forum by someone over at CGtalk... yes modelled in something else, but ultimately rendered using Lightwave... shouldn't the web/marketing guy be onto these and getting them in there? Problem is, the guys/girls doing the best work don't have the time to submit works or even post in these forums... better to hunt them down i think. The Deacon managed this very well...

I get newsletters from other company's with gallery images plastered all over them... whereas in Lightwave land, you have to hunt this stuff down.

It should be fed to us on a plate! :D

I may sound harsh sometimes, but it's all for 'the greater good' ;)

drako
08-26-2011, 11:57 AM
matt i agree with lardbros and Dexter2999 somebody has to talk to Newtek
marketeers guys.We have great artists but we have to see and know more about them in the gallery or in newsletters.
We started a new company here in Greece so i talk with my partenair to buy some
licences for our new vfx-commercial department.I told him that we need Lightwave in our pipeline but he thinks that Maya is better.I told him that we need speed and flexibility but he told me that..
-I agree with you but have you seen what they make with Maya.Lightwave is not even
in the list of internet tutors....How you are going to find some good artists not particular generalists but good artists for teaming your pipeline.All the tutorials
are outdated and they dont show LW with NUKE or whatever.Clever ,marketing ideas.
OUCH that hurts......
So speaking the truth we need MARKETING.....SELL THE PRODUCT WELL AND IS GOING TO GROW THE LW COMMUNITY.....
NO MARKETING NO FUTURE....
CHUCK,ROB,MATT DO SOMETHING

realgray
08-27-2011, 12:09 AM

There, I said it!

Go check out the Vimeo Lightwave group. A lot a great LW animation in there.

http://vimeo.com/groups/lightwave/videos

jeric_synergy
08-29-2011, 05:35 PM
On that note, I would urge people to submit work for the gallery, ....
Ahhhh, isn't it NEWTEK's job to hunt down this stuff?

How much volunteer labor are they expecting? Do we have to slip it under their pillows at night, with a chocolate mint? :devil:

Intuition
08-29-2011, 07:15 PM
Cough Cough... um, top row? Cough Cough.

sniffle..... Yeah, seeing the latest images and news blurbs in a top row of this forum might help... ever hear of cgtalk? Ever hear of zbrush central?... Cough.

Figure if I make it hard to read people will try harder to read it and it may set in.

Seeing the top row by all forum visitors will inspire people to submit to said forum since gaining top row is a certain prestige.

The LW3d Product page is pretty dang nice now. I must say it addresses many of the marketing tricks I had wanted NT to do for a while. They have sections and vids and what not. Its really nice. I still think a top row would just kick the up the traffic in the gallery and news much more. The top row could have news blurbs that link to the product page or news pages anyways.

Something so simple could do so much.

:bday:

Nicolas Jordan
08-29-2011, 07:43 PM
Cough Cough... um, top row? Cough Cough.

sniffle..... Yeah, seeing the latest images and news blurbs in a top row of this forum might help... ever hear of cgtalk? Ever hear of zbrush central?... Cough.

Figure if I make it hard to read people will try harder to read it and it may set in.

Seeing the top row by all forum visitors will inspire people to submit to said forum since gaining top row is a certain prestige.

The LW3d Product page is pretty dang nice now. I must say it addresses many of the marketing tricks I had wanted NT to do for a while. They have sections and vids and what not. Its really nice. I still think a top row would just kick the up the traffic in the gallery and news much more. The top row could have news blurbs that link to the product page or news pages anyways.

Something so simple could do so much.

:bday:

:agree: I remember this being mentioned a few times but still has yet to be implemented. I think it would work nicely and it would make it easy to see the newest stuff at a glance.

COBRASoft
08-29-2011, 08:06 PM

There, I said it!

Well Matt... While we should do that, you guys should start renewing the presets that come with LW10, they are ages old. And while you're add it, prepare some example scenes and settings for outdoor, interior, production shots, ... :thumbsup:. When you deliver these presets, all users will be able to produce something nice for the galleries.

What do you think about this idea?

Dexter2999
08-30-2011, 12:43 AM
While I would love to see updated presets, I don't think it is really fair to say that the lack of good work sits on shoulders of Newtek.

I think the training provided by William Vaughn is great. Much of it though could perhaps use some updating and repackaging.

It might also be a nice touch to include these training tips (especially lighting and camera tips) into the newsletters.

Focus on product, users, individual works, tricks and tips tutorials, upcoming events. Maybe throw in a monthly interview with Rob, Chuck, or even some other member of the team. Not to promote future features (because we have learned that is bad) but to help personalize the team.

My two cents.

lardbros
08-30-2011, 01:10 AM
Agree with everyone... All of those ideas would be lovely... But how much love does the forum get? Have they even fixed the emoticons yet? Hope they can do the top row thing... It looks nice and they could promote 3rd party plugins up there too!

50one
08-30-2011, 04:08 AM
Scratch the Newsletter thing. Updated my LW 8.5 into 10.1 - well actually it was my Boss who updated it but I'm the only one using it at work - so it's all for myself hehe :D. Anyway let's speculate about the coming November meeting. Which should be more interesting rather than spending time beating that poor horse.

COBRASoft
08-30-2011, 04:32 AM
Dexter2999: NT should provide better scenes and presets out of the box. I don't say it's their fault there's no better stuff in the galleries, but they can help a lot more for beginners and stupids like myself :).

lardbros
08-30-2011, 05:18 AM
I do appreciate Matt popping in and showing his face... just glad Newtek may be listening! :) Hope that they take heed of good advice though... and if they don't have the resources, it would be a good idea to hire the people that can do it!

stevenpalomino
11-23-2011, 07:55 AM
I hope NT saw this thread. I completely agree. I was just wondering what happened to the newsletters. I always looked forward to reading them. Can't NT hire someone to be in charge of advertisement? Surely keeping their customers in the loop is on their "to-do list".

Nicolas Jordan
11-23-2011, 08:14 AM
I've filled the my newsletter void with modcasts since you can count on those at least twice a month at minimum if not once per week at most. :thumbsup:
Many modcasts are full of filler but at least they help cultivate a sense of community bringing everyone up to date on what's been happening something that seems to be largely lacking here in Lightwave land. :(