PDA

View Full Version : Parenting issue & Coordinate Systems: One character picks up another

cesario1212
10-11-2003, 12:39 PM
I have a shot where one of the characters picks up my hero by the back of his neck, walks a couple steps forward, and throws him off a ledge. This is all just using one hand for the "lift" and my character is lifted at least a foot off the ground.

So my problem: dynamic parenting and exrpession parenting don't seem to be working. I basically have a control Null for my hero and a hand Null for the "bad guy" who lifts the hero up. I need my hero's Null to completely follow the bad guy's hand Null. However, the hand null is registering at 0,0,0 and nevers "moves" from the spot even though its parent (the wrist bone) is moving with the arm. I'm sure it has something to due with the differences between local, parent, and world based coordinate systems within LW, but I'm lost on how to fix the issue.

Currently I must resort to keying everything (ie. even my hero following the bad guy's hand), but I'd rather not. Currently I'm focusing on other shots while I try and work this one out. Can anyone help?

Art-man

munky
10-13-2003, 01:45 PM
Hi there,

if you have the cash then get steve worleys Polk collection of plugins, it's about $199 but it has some very useful stuff Like the PARENT plugin which does dynamic parenting eg you can have an object parented for just a specified number of frames and you can swap parents so passing stuff from one hand to another type stuff.

check it out at www.worley.com

hope this helps

I have this and the taft collection and G2 and they are dead useful.

regards

paul

cesario1212
10-14-2003, 09:53 AM
Thanks for the help. Unfortunately, I don't have the cash. I have managed to get the process to mostly work using IK, and LW's built in parenter plugin.

Art-man