PDA

View Full Version : Partial glow on surface???

Revanto
08-23-2011, 12:22 AM
In the past, whenever I wanted something to glow it would always be a separate surface. Recently, I've been trying to create a low polygon character that has glows on it. The mesh contains a few surfaces, some with a luminosity map. However, when I set the glow amount on the surfaces to 100%, the complete surface gives off a glow. But, I only want parts of the surface to give off a glow based on luminosity.

Does anyone know how to do this?

OK, this point is VERY important. I want to be able to do this natively within Lightwave. There can be NO post processing in Photoshop. Yes, I do realise that the glow effect is a post process in Lightwave itself but I need to stay local.

No, I cannot post screenshots because it is a private project.

I tried to use Marmoset for my model but it doesn't actually support any glow effects. The closest I can get is a bloom effect but it's not the same.

If anyone can shed some light, please let me know.

Thanks.

Cheers,
Revanto :p

Revanto
08-23-2011, 12:43 AM
Don't worry. My good friend Paul was smart enough to do a search and found that if I used the Corona plugin as my post process plugin then that should work.

I can be so dumb sometimes. :foreheads

Rev.

vector
08-23-2011, 12:44 AM
I'm not sure if I understand what you mean, but if only a few polys of a surface have glow... Canīt you use a duplicated surface with the same properties but with glow only for these polys?

Vector

vector
08-23-2011, 12:45 AM
Don't worry. My good friend Paul was smart enough to do a search and found that if I used the Corona plugin as my post process plugin then that should work.

I can be so dumb sometimes. :/

Rev.

Too fast for me, you win :)

Nice to read you fix it

Vector

cg_mike
08-23-2011, 03:01 AM

If you find Corona to be too much of a render hit, and if you're running LightWave under Win32, give Better Bloom a try:
http://lynx.aspect-design.de/plugins/betterbloom_info.htm

Except wrote a nice intro/mini-tute for it in his HDR guide (http://www.except.nl/lightwave/hdr/).