PDA

View Full Version : 10.1 import broken or just my memory?

Maxx
08-22-2011, 09:35 PM
I am trying to import a 3D Studio Max 2010 file (*file_name*_2010.max) into Modeler - I'm pretty sure I remember doing this directly before (just change the "file type" from "Objects" to "All Files" in the Load Object file requester), but LW keeps throwing an error this time.

As I know that I've used 3D Studio files in LW before, but know nothing about 3DS (nor its' file formats), am I missing something, or has the import option been changed or borked?

nickdigital
08-22-2011, 10:31 PM
I think the Max file format is proprietary. I'd be surprised if LW could import it.

Snosrap
08-22-2011, 10:40 PM
3DS files - yes. 3D Studio Max files - no.

Dodgy
08-23-2011, 12:51 AM
Max is a procedural modeler too, so unless the scene has been flattened to just polys and points, you'll usually need to have Max to convert it, and even then as people have said, .max is a proprietary format, so you'll have to save it as either a .3ds or .obj from max.

Lewis
08-23-2011, 01:30 AM
Nope, you surely didn't do it for *.max file :), as noted you did it for *.3DS (that still works) but you forgot :).

Even world renowned 3D converters as Polytrans and DeepExploration can't open/convert *.MAX if you don't have 3DSMAx installed which then they run in BG to show/convert you *.max file.

So basically answer to your questions would be "yes it's just your memory" :D ;).

Maxx
08-23-2011, 05:31 AM
Well, crap... :cursin:

Thanks for the answers everyone!

GraphXs
08-23-2011, 06:46 AM
U can try FBX through layout out of Max then edit the models into modeler. Or just use OBJ if you only need the model. Max OBJ export even has a "Lightwave" export option! Not sure it really matter but it's nice to see the word Lightwave in Max. ;)

Maxx
08-23-2011, 09:31 AM
U can try FBX through layout out of Max then edit the models into modeler. Or just use OBJ if you only need the model. Max OBJ export even has a "Lightwave" export option! Not sure it really matter but it's nice to see the word Lightwave in Max. ;)
Thanks for the hints - this was a downloaded model, and I don't have MAX, so I'm at a dead end with it. Not a problem, though - took the project a different direction.

Thanks again everyone!