PDA

View Full Version : FBX from mixamo

behestelah
08-22-2011, 04:59 PM
I created and rigged characters in Mixamo. But when I used LW:Load Scene to bring the FBX I got good, bad and ugly results.
Some characters loaded in lightwave perfectly with the perfect motion.
On some others, there were 2 exact problems on all:
1. The head of character was misplaced in between the feet with a long neck going way below the feet
2. All the bodies look like those of a pregnant lady :stumped:
(Some of the characters were pre-made and pre-rigged by mixamo before being saved as fbx.
Has anyone ever had same experience with mixamo or anything similar to this and does anyone have any idea of what is going on.
:question:
Thanks

Fardin
08-23-2011, 04:42 PM
I read somewhere that Lightwave has some issue when importing .fbx files.

I'm not sure if that is true or not.

arrow1234
08-24-2011, 12:12 AM
I hope you have LW9.5 installed since thats where i import all my FBX from MotionBuilder(sorry i never used mixamo) Hope this info help.

EDIT: or try importing via Utilities > Plugins > FBX import

RebelHill
08-24-2011, 09:49 AM
Ive seen there be a fair bit of variation in FBX files across the board, some seem to work better than others.

However if you're using LW10.1 the fbx importer is pretty robust, so most should work just fine with it. If not, then Im assuming that the main problems you're getting are deformations... wehre the mesh seems very wrong in some way, but the bones look accurate. If this is the case, the best thing is to set your bones back to Tpose on the first frame, and rebind them to the character mesh 9altering/updating weights if necessary.

behestelah
08-24-2011, 11:23 AM
I hope you have LW9.5 installed since thats where i import all my FBX from MotionBuilder(sorry i never used mixamo) Hope this info help.

I have 10.1. I'll give it a shot via utilities later tonight and post the result tomorrow.
Thanks

behestelah
08-24-2011, 11:32 AM
Ive seen there be a fair bit of variation in FBX files across the board, some seem to work better than others.

However if you're using LW10.1 the fbx importer is pretty robust, so most should work just fine with it. If not, then Im assuming that the main problems you're getting are deformations... wehre the mesh seems very wrong in some way, but the bones look accurate. If this is the case, the best thing is to set your bones back to Tpose on the first frame, and rebind them to the character mesh 9altering/updating weights if necessary.
Yes I think you are right. The bones look accurate and rig correctly when imported as bone only. The character mesh in those that import wrong would be too difficult to correct. The time consumption of dealing with mesh would defeat the purpose of importing them from mixamo.
I also tried importing as collada from mixamo and the results were slightly worse than fbx.

RebelHill
08-24-2011, 06:39 PM
The bones look accurate and rig correctly when imported as bone only. The character mesh in those that import wrong would be too difficult to correct. The time consumption of dealing with mesh would defeat the purpose of importing them from mixamo.

No it would be very quick and easy to correct.

Most likely you'll get away with just reresting bones at base pose... worst case you have to assign/make a few weights. If the bones are correct, thats whats important.

At the end of the day, fbx is a pretty open standard, and differences arent uncommon. Ive seen many fbx's along the way that have had different problems that have required such fixes in different apps... just the way it goes, it aint perfect.

behestelah
08-24-2011, 11:51 PM

I'm using 10.1 and i can't find any FBX import under plugins.

behestelah
08-24-2011, 11:55 PM
No it would be very quick and easy to correct.

Most likely you'll get away with just reresting bones at base pose... worst case you have to assign/make a few weights. If the bones are correct, thats whats important.

At the end of the day, fbx is a pretty open standard, and differences arent uncommon. Ive seen many fbx's along the way that have had different problems that have required such fixes in different apps... just the way it goes, it aint perfect.

Ok I should try reseting the bones.

about fbxs being different, would they be different even if they come from the same source (in this case mixamo, some fbxs are importing ok and some not)?

RebelHill
08-25-2011, 06:42 AM
There is no "import plugin" for fbx in 10.1... its just native inbuilt via load scene.

And I would suppose that yes, they can have different standards even coming from the same company... otherwise you wouldnt be getting differences.

behestelah
08-25-2011, 02:33 PM
collada vs fbx

mixamo allows you to save on fbx or collada

which one works better for importing into lightwave?

basically what factors are involved in choosing one over the other?

Fardin
08-26-2011, 03:59 PM
collada vs fbx

which one works better for importing into lightwave?

basically what factors are involved in choosing one over the other?

I'd like to know the answers to these questions too.