PDA

View Full Version : FLX Image Format

DrStrik9
08-22-2011, 11:31 AM
Is FLX the only image format available in LW that has all the HDR data plus a non-applied alpha?

Thanks

Lightwolf
08-22-2011, 12:11 PM
What do you mean by non-applied?

Cheers,
Mike

DrStrik9
08-22-2011, 12:44 PM
What do you mean by non-applied?

Cheers,
Mike

By "non-applied," I mean that the alpha isn't applied to the image, like a knockout. But it's still in the file, so you CAN use it as a KO if you want, but you don't have to - if that makes any sense ...

Lightwolf
08-22-2011, 12:55 PM
I suppose you mean pre-multiplied then.
Hm, that really depends on how and what you render and how the reading application interprets the file format.

I.e. you'd certainly have the same functionality saving and EXR and loading that into Fusion (not PS though as it seems to interpret the alpha differently).

Cheers,
Mike

DrStrik9
08-22-2011, 01:36 PM
I suppose you mean pre-multiplied then.
Hm, that really depends on how and what you render and how the reading application interprets the file format.

I.e. you'd certainly have the same functionality saving and EXR and loading that into Fusion (not PS though as it seems to interpret the alpha differently).

Cheers,
Mike

Thanks, Mike. That's kind of what I though was happening. PS does indeed interpret alphas in various file formats differently. EXR, for instance, is interpreted in PS with the alpha acting like a mask, or pre-multiplied, as you say. PS can't open FLX.

So I'll render out in either FLX or "LW_OpenEXR _RGBAFP" and just export pre-rendered frames from LW for image/alpha as needed. Forget PS. LOL

Lightwolf
08-22-2011, 01:58 PM
Thanks, Mike. That's kind of what I though was happening. PS does indeed interpret alphas in various file formats differently. EXR, for instance, is interpreted in PS with the alpha acting like a mask, or pre-multiplied, as you say.
Which is wrong and eventually made the EXR developers be very specific int their specs after a public discussion with a developer from Adobe. :D

Cheers,
Mike

DrStrik9
08-22-2011, 09:03 PM
Which is wrong and eventually made the EXR developers be very specific int their specs after a public discussion with a developer from Adobe. :D

Cheers,
Mike

You mean to tell me there is more than one software with unfixed bugs??? :D