PDA

View Full Version : Issues Rendering over Alpha Channel

Coocat86
08-22-2011, 07:24 AM
I have 3D Arsenal and am using Lightwave 8.5 and have been having trouble rendering "flare reveals" over an alpha channel. Everytime I render the "flare Reveals" with an alpha channel, the flare doesn’t show up and only the logo shows up. I am saving it as an .Avi and with "Newtek Speed HQ 4:2:2:4 (Alpha)".

When I choose my Output File as "Type: .AVI" under Render Options and then click "Options" it gives me an error. This is what it says:

Ligthwave.exe - Entry Point Not Found
The Procedure Entry Point [email protected]@@[email protected]@XZ Could not be located in the dynamic link library Windows MediaLib.dll

I am not sure if this is the problem (anytime I click options for .avi, whether it be for a flare or something else to render, it gives me this error message). Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

nickdigital
08-22-2011, 11:01 AM
To get the flare to show up in your alpha you need to add the Flare2Alpha plug-in under the Processing>Add Image Filter section.

I would suggest rendering to an image sequence instead of an avi file. Render to png32 or tga32 instead.

n9103h
08-30-2011, 03:01 PM
Nick, you sure are around a lot! I am trying to render my cart, LW scene that just has the object rotating. I can not, do not know how to tell it to make an alpha channel. I see your suggestion of seperate files, wow, 300 frames, 300 files. I was trying quick time and several AVI's.
Is there a best practices way or a better way?

nickdigital
08-30-2011, 04:55 PM
Nick, you sure are around a lot! I am trying to render my cart, LW scene that just has the object rotating. I can not, do not know how to tell it to make an alpha channel. I see your suggestion of seperate files, wow, 300 frames, 300 files. I was trying quick time and several AVI's.
Is there a best practices way or a better way?

Individual frames are better as this way you can resume a render if something ever crashes. I'm not sure which avi formats support alpha channels. QT Animation codec does though.

But don't you have a video toaster or something? I would render out to an image format that supports alpha channels (32tga or 32png). Then compile the frames in a program like QTPro, After Effects (I'm not familiar with the Toaster but I'm sure it can do the job too).

n9103h
08-30-2011, 05:15 PM
yes, i have vt5 toaster. also adobe suite 1.5. I used newtek 4.2.2.2 w/alpha and the adobe took it as alpha channel. I would use speededit but I have so many years with adobe it is jsut faster. I could not get the QT to keep the alpha channel for some reason. thanks, wife is calling for dinner.

nickdigital
08-30-2011, 05:40 PM
I could not get the QT to keep the alpha channel for some reason.

When rendering out to a QT you want your Channels option to be RGB+Alpha. Not every codec supports alpha channels though. I know the Animation and AvidDNXHD codec do.