PDA

View Full Version : How do you get in the mood to do :lwicon: again?

THREEL
08-20-2011, 10:56 PM
So, I was just wondering how you guys get "back in the mood" of doing :lwicon: projects, if you've ever come to a point where you may not really care that much any more? As some of you know I lost my oldest sister to cancer at the end of May, and then, lost my dad to Alzheimer's just 2 short weeks later. BTW~Thanks for all the thoughts and prayers you all sent my way. I so very much appreciated this community's support during that difficult time.

Not only did I loose 2 close family members in such a short time, but, I also, lost one of my data hard drives, right after I completed a video collage I produced in honor of my dad. This hard drive had almost all of my :lwicon: projects and video productions on it. The sad thing was, I didn't have any of this data backed up. Mostly a money issue of course, but in hind sight, I wish I would have spent some money in order to still have this info. One cool thing was my dad's video collage somehow found its way onto another hard drive, and I have been able to obtain a couple of models that I sent to friends of mine and a few renders that I had entered into speed modeling contests. I've been told that the data could possibly be retrieved, but it could cost up to $1,000 to do so. From the sounds emitting from the drive, the problem with the drive seems to be mechanical in nature.

On top of that, I'm still working with v8.5, while most LightWavers on the forum seem to be working with 9.6, at the very least. I see topics like how some of the tutorials are old and out of date, and I think, "Hey, I'm still on 8.5, so I cannot even attempt to do some of the tutorials, because I don't have a high enough version. I'd just love to upgrade to the latest and greatest version, but at this point and time it's absolutely impossible.

Sorry about the venting! I'm just not positive on what I need to do to get "back in the mood" again. Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

DrStrik9
08-21-2011, 04:27 AM
Grief is a difficult thing that will "run its course" over time. You've experienced some big losses. But you can't rush it, in my opinion, and "not caring" maybe one of the stages of what you're going through. So you need to be courageous and let yourself feel the pain and periodic apathy that comes with all that, and eventually you'll come out the other side, and life will be brighter again. (I know, easy to say, hard to do.) In my own experience, sometimes the worst possible thing that can happen can actually become a good thing in some ways over time, but only if you walk through it bravely and grow as you heal. I still miss people I've lost, though -- I think you always will miss them. But you can live with it more easily after some time.

On the data loss, always back up your data. Cause it isn't "if" it's going down, it's "when" it's going down. :)

LW 8.5 is really worth upgrading, in my opinion. 9.6 has been very stable in general. There is some debate on how great 10.1 is, but the addition of VPR is very helpful when setting up scenes, and if you ever do stereoscopic projects, the new stereo camera rigs available in 10.1 are actually well thought out and very useful. And best of all if you're a Mac user, LW 10 onward is available in 64-bit, which has some very nice benefits. The overall "look and feel" of 10.1 is greatly improved over earlier LW versions. -- So save your pennies!

Any artistic inspiration depends on how well other parts of your life are functioning, so I'd say let yourself grieve over the losses, and wait for the better times to come. Things WILL get better.

Dexter2999
08-21-2011, 11:29 AM
Maybe you could use some pics of your father or sister and model busts of them?

jeric_synergy
08-21-2011, 11:36 AM
Sorry to hear of your loss.

Even without big milestones like you've experienced motivation can be difficult to maintain. A suggestion: work on other people's projects-- their motivation might be contagious.

As to data security: huge disks are a mixed blessing, since they WILL break, and then they just take EVEN MORE stuff with them. DVD backup religiously. DVD burners are pretty damn cheap.

torturebori007
08-21-2011, 02:31 PM
Yeah as dexter said...Lightwave is a passion and some of your lifes passions have gone to better places. why not use that and create them in the other passion you have, 3d.

Stay strong.

ncr100
08-22-2011, 12:33 AM
IMO Getting in the mood is a cooperative experience, where you coax your imaginative side to act directly in the world through your 'outer' side. Encouraging it to come out can involve exposing yourself to inspirational stimuli, like a museum or engaging with stimulating people.

When grieving you will naturally be bathed by the the stuff related to the grief - both the realities of the situation and what you have going on inside. You may now have a deafening amount of grief stuff echoing through your life. That chorus might take quite a large number of months to quiet down, as others have said.

You may be able to channel the grief into a creative expression, if you want. From personal experience I found grieving quite a frustrating and distracting state. I too lost 2 people in 1 year (+1 not too long before that). The pain was fine, I was honoring my loss in a normal way and was experiencing fear from having people abruptly taken, but I wanted to do other things too. I did not channel my grief, instead I did what came most easily - make people laugh by being humorous in person. I'm better now but the grief phases really did happen.

FYI The LW 10 demo (http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/lwtrial.php#download) ought to give you some joy - VPR is nifty. Beware the config files of the newer version may clash with the older install.

Best,
Nick

biliousfrog
08-22-2011, 01:01 AM
Hi Threel, nice to have you back.

I'm quite fortunate in that I use Lightwave daily and it pays my bills, that's enough incentive for me, but I have lost interest in 3D a number of times over the years and it can be difficult to get back into the swing of it.

What I have found is that any art form can become all-consuming and when the urge to create is lost it can be quite stressful because that part of your life is suddenly missing. My advice is to walk away from it until you feel the need to return, don't push it, you will only make the process a chore and that's counter-productive.

Another suggestion is to look at other areas of CG and art in general. Maybe take some life-drawing classes, buy some clay and try sculpting, take a camera with you and record things that interest you. They are all things which I have done and, not only do they expand your skills, they also provide great foundations for better 3D production without actually using a 3D application. You might design a cool spaceship, sculpt a strange creature or photograph an interesting building which you'd like to create in Lightwave...then you'll have a reason to use it and things will be much easier.

Regarding backups, we've all been there. Luckily HD's are cheaper than ever, multi-TB drives are less than a spindle of decent DVD's and USB enclosures can be found on ebay for next-to-nothing. A RAID setup is a very nice thing to have but there are many backup utilities available for free online which can copy data regularly. I use Windows 7's backup to copy my projects from my workstations RAID to my NAS' RAID...that's 5 drives my data is stored on at any time - that's how paranoid I am about drive failures.

colkai
08-22-2011, 04:54 AM
Any artistic inspiration depends on how well other parts of your life are functioning, so I'd say let yourself grieve over the losses, and wait for the better times to come. Things WILL get better.

I agree with this, I don't think there is any point in trying to "force" yourself back into 3D, (or any hobby), when life has you by the short N curlies and you can't find focus.
Once you find some sort of 'centre' for yourself, your desire to "do something" will return, but I think if you try to force it, you may well find yourself getting switched off even more and even come to resent the "intrusion".

I have been going through some issues myself the past year or so and I can't recall the last time I even wanted to fire up a 3D package. Even picking up my guitar is a "chore" at times, which is a sure sign something is wrong.

I trust that things will improve, trust in myself to get 'level' eventually and believe that when I do, all things will return. :thumbsup: