PDA

View Full Version : parenting almost there, but one hang up

lreyes
08-20-2011, 09:43 PM
Hope you guy are not bored with me...when I use world the ball goes to the top of bone instead of the tip...here is the link, let me know if the link got there:(

Dexter2999
08-20-2011, 10:36 PM
I thought using World was a no-no?

lreyes
08-21-2011, 12:56 AM
please explain.

evenflcw
08-21-2011, 03:03 AM
When you parent an item to another it inherits the parents pivot position (parent coordinates). The length/tip of a bone is not even a factor. The reason new child bones manage to place them at the tip is because they are automatically offset in Z by an amount correspond to the length of it's parent bone. The coordinate system setting also has no effect on parenting, they only affect transform tool feedback and manipulation.

So if you want an item at the tip of a bone, parent it to the bone and offset it in Z by the length of the bone.

RebelHill
08-21-2011, 06:08 AM
Ofc it behaves like this. When you positionally constrain one item to another, you're constraining their pivot points to one another. If you want something to be constrained to a given bone/object, but offset from it/its pivot, then you need an inbetween object parented to the target item which you then constrain to.

The easiest way, which helps you match space too for proper world rotational constraining, is to simpy copy the object you wish to constrain, and use that as the constrain to item.

See my vid on the whole thing here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecQLT4uNZkU

Cageman
08-21-2011, 11:55 AM
Hope you guy are not bored with me...when I use world the ball goes to the top of bone instead of the tip...here is the link, let me know if the link got there:(

It would have been easier if you would not create a new thread for each question you have on the same topic. :) There are several people giving you more or less the same type of information I allready gave you in a previous thread of yours, with content supplied. Anyone of the people in this thread could then see what type of information you've got previously and add to that information.

So, it would be much more productive for both us and you if you could stick to one thread and continue asking questions that are related to the same type of problem. It would also make it easier for others who have the same trouble as you to find a solution, because everything is contained in the same thread.

:)

lreyes
08-22-2011, 06:26 AM
Yes, I see your point...on using too many threads..will be aware next time....