PDA

View Full Version : hopefuly last post on this subject...parenting

lreyes
08-20-2011, 06:08 PM
I have a tutorial by Willian Vaughan that explains parenting with two null objects, I tried it and it works fine using the graph editor, but he does not explain how to associate the null that goes with the hand to move when the arm moves. I can make the ball drop from the hand with no problem, but I want to move the arm like throwing it, but the null does not move with the arm. Willian Vaughan said this tutorial can be used for like a character picking up a ball, but in order to do that the null has to move with the arm, he does not explain this...?

jasonwestmas
08-20-2011, 06:14 PM
Got a link to that video?

lreyes
08-20-2011, 06:21 PM
Let me see if I now how to put a link. it is a short video, the tut is in lightwave tutorials, let me see if I can link it ...did you get it

Cageman
08-20-2011, 06:28 PM
Well, I assume that you have bones or joints in the arm, and the bone you want to constrain to is operating in Parent space. So, make sure that you enable the checkbox that says World. In order for this to work without checking that box, you must have a situation where both objects are operating in the same coordinatespace, and, most likely, that is the problem you are facing.

:)

So... the object that is going to be constrained; enable World in motion options.

jasonwestmas
08-20-2011, 06:37 PM
For starters, I can imagine you using "same as item" for the ball, then select the hand bone or another null in the hand as the item to be referenced for same as item. Then just offset the ball's null from the ball so that the ball isn't directly on top of the "same as item" reference. Then animate the same as item influence using the envelope like William did.

Cageman
08-20-2011, 06:50 PM
Hi again...

Here is a very simple scene showcasing how you can set it up.

See attachment. :)

lreyes
08-20-2011, 06:51 PM
I am using the ball as Same as Item after selecting the Hand null. I will check the world box.

lreyes
08-20-2011, 06:53 PM
How did you do thatCageman? PLease Please explain

lreyes
08-20-2011, 06:56 PM
okay I am seeing how you did it

Cageman
08-20-2011, 06:57 PM
I can whip up a short videotutorial for you... :) It is extremely easy.

EDIT: Ah... no need for a video then. :) Good!