PDA

View Full Version : several stuff (packaging mostly)

zardoz
08-19-2011, 04:57 AM
Hi everyone,

I searched my computer to find stuff I could put here so here is a bunch of packages and other stuff I found. Instead of creating different threads I decided to put them all in one single thread.

cheers

zardoz
08-19-2011, 04:58 AM
a few more...

zardoz
08-19-2011, 04:59 AM
last of the bunch

Lewis
08-19-2011, 05:11 AM
Excellent work man, i like these Tutti bottles very much, full of colors :). Also that Mercedes Rim is great, looking very realistic, Did you render it as SubDs or freeze geometry ?

zardoz
08-19-2011, 05:15 AM
thanks lewis, the mercedes Rim was rendered as a subpatch. I modeled the rim and the brakes to replace them in 3 photos that were meant for ads. They already had a campain with 3 other photos with those rims but these ones had different rims. If I find the full photos I'll post them here.
cheers

Lewis
08-19-2011, 05:21 AM
Cool, post some wireframe of rim if you find it, I think i see some pinching from 5 point polys (or tris) there but it's "normal" in Subpatches which suffer form that. Maybe you could render as subDs CCs so it would be even smother/better. But material is so good that no one in magazine/ad would notice it's 3d Rim, well done ;).

Lightwolf
08-19-2011, 05:27 AM
Nice ones, well done.

I love the texturing details in the "FRIZE" bottles. :thumbsup:

Cheers,
Mike

DrStrik9
08-19-2011, 10:56 AM
More great stuff!

You definitely have an eye for character design.

And the packaging renders are fantastic.

zardoz
08-19-2011, 04:41 PM
as promised, here are the rest of the pics from the mercedes.
here I show the original photos and the final renders, with closeups for the rims. Also the wireframe (I know it's not the best modelling....full of tris and some other errors, but hey, it did the trick) and a print screen of the material. For the light setup...two reflection planes for each rim, a gradient backdrop, gi, and no lights.

zardoz
08-19-2011, 04:54 PM
a few more stuff...

Lewis
08-19-2011, 05:03 PM
Looking great zardoz, I Like that AMG is welded to the rim (like it should be), that is very good work there, Usually people just "stick" in part but that never gives proper reflections then :). You could maybe run bandglue on several areas of spokes to smooth out and remove some poly rows but since it's Rim only polycount is not in question so no need to spend time on more optimizations :). Only thing what I don't like is when rim isn't fully round and I know it's hard to keep it circle when adding so many details so when you run some additional edges on spokes it destroyed roundness but again that's not really big deal for this kind of projects what requires PS work anyway.

Well done man, excellent stuff and thanks for wires/setup.

Matt
08-19-2011, 05:16 PM
Great stuff, it's always nice to see people posting work, we need more of that!

zardoz
08-19-2011, 07:27 PM
some more

zardoz
08-19-2011, 07:31 PM
more...

zardoz
08-19-2011, 07:34 PM
some more...

zardoz
08-19-2011, 07:35 PM
a few more stuff

zardoz
08-19-2011, 07:37 PM
almost there

zardoz
08-19-2011, 07:38 PM
ok, these are the last ones for now...

funk
08-19-2011, 09:58 PM
Some very nice work here!

MDSPECIFIC
08-20-2011, 06:53 AM
Good stuff! Packaging and bottles are great!!!

geo_n
08-20-2011, 07:01 AM
Excellent. I like the bottles and liquid renders the best.
Whats setup for liquid and glass? Nodes? No more airpoly?

cresshead
08-20-2011, 02:04 PM
love the character stuff as well, nice and cute

zardoz
08-20-2011, 08:53 PM
tx everyone. Actually the character in this thread (the hippo girl) is a known mascot of a supermarket chain. We were trying to get some work from them, that's why I modeled it.

About the bottles and liquids...well like I said in this post here (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1019669&postcount=27) I checked some different ways like vray or mentalray, and I found that lightwave works a bit like mentalray.

caesar
08-21-2011, 10:51 AM
The doll and the water bottle are perfect !!!!

MAUROCOR
08-21-2011, 11:49 AM
Wow! What great works you have created! Congratulations, I liked all of them!!! I agree, bottles in general are great!
Very well done, Luis!
Congrats again!:thumbsup:

akademus
08-21-2011, 11:10 PM
Top notch works!

inakito
08-23-2011, 06:17 AM
Super impressive work mate!!! No just all your great product viz renders but also the character design ones...
Love the tiny wood girl toy one. Amazing work man.
I guess you giving to all this kind of renders a photo studio approach, as using gradient backdrops and geometry planes and radiosity instead of actual lights.
Can you tell us a bit more about that? so about render times?
One last thing, :), on your "Cuca" bottle images there is some "steamy cold smoke" coming from the bottle, is it actual geometry or did you just added in Photoshop.
Big thanks and Congrats for all your work...
PD Lisbon and Sagres rocks!!! ;)

H_Molla
08-23-2011, 08:48 AM
Excellent

otacon
08-23-2011, 08:40 PM
Great work. Thanks for the info about the glass and liquid settings. It's always hard to get those right.

zardoz
08-24-2011, 03:29 AM
Tx for your comments everyone.

I guess you giving to all this kind of renders a photo studio approach, as using gradient backdrops and geometry planes and radiosity instead of actual lights.
Can you tell us a bit more about that? so about render times?
One last thing, :), on your "Cuca" bottle images there is some "steamy cold smoke" coming from the bottle, is it actual geometry or did you just added in Photoshop.

Usually what I do is something like this: I use some hdr in the backdrop (like the studio ones Matt shared in here (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93122), tx again for this), I bet you can recognize some in the reflections in my renders. Also from the sIBL sets shared in HDRLabs (http://www.hdrlabs.com/sibl/index.html) (tx blochi for such an amazing site and tools).
Then I use area lights with falloff and I always parent to the light a panel with the same color for reflections.
GI is always on too.
Then what I do is tweak the reflections on the objects by making them 0% diffuse to see only specs and reflections.

About the liquids...like I said before I've seen the air poly technique in LW and in some threads after the volume stack was implemented that the liquid geometry must be exactly over the glass geometry but If you use subds for your modelling you'll always have errors because of the top of the liquid...at least I always had, and it was very hard to control. So I decided to see how other renderers work. And I tried this technique (http://www.3dtotal.com/team/Tutorials_3/making_of_water_glasses/makign_of_water_glasses01.php) and comparing with photos, the results where quite good.

zardoz
08-24-2011, 03:53 AM
what I would like to see was a good technique for making water drops in a surface like a can of soda. I've seen some colleagues do it in max (here (http://www.vimeo.com/17192889)) and it came out quite good.
But one of the secrets where the caustics. And I think lw's caustics isn't very good.

So if anyone can share a good technique for making this, that would be nice.

tx

lardbros
08-24-2011, 06:06 AM
Wooo, nice zip on the bottle there. Any chance you could ask your colleague how they did that? I did a zip a few months back in 3ds max, on a rucksack and had to do it the most ridiculous way. (Ended up using a spline, a volume select object on a morph target, and an animated boolean on the volume select object with soft selection... TOTAL PAIN, AND VERY slow to animate in max.) Maybe I thought about it too much, but tried a few ways and none worked how I wanted. :D

As for the drips on the side, I've seen tutorials here on using Hypervoxels for the drops... and they worked out pretty well.

Fadlabi
08-24-2011, 07:24 AM
Nice work!

djwaterman
08-24-2011, 07:36 AM
These mundane objects are sometimes the most inspiring subjects to learn from. This post is bookmarked for further reference, I love the work here and there are some lighting ideas that I want to study later. Thanks for clearing out your bottom draw and putting these things on display.

Iain
08-24-2011, 11:48 AM
Beautiful studies Zardoz.You have a great eye!

inakito
08-25-2011, 10:24 AM

Usually what I do is something like this: I use some hdr in the backdrop (like the studio ones Matt shared in here (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93122), tx again for this), I bet you can recognize some in the reflections in my renders. Also from the sIBL sets shared in HDRLabs (http://www.hdrlabs.com/sibl/index.html) (tx blochi for such an amazing site and tools).
Then I use area lights with falloff and I always parent to the light a panel with the same color for reflections.
GI is always on too.
Then what I do is tweak the reflections on the objects by making them 0% diffuse to see only specs and reflections.

About the liquids...like I said before I've seen the air poly technique in LW and in some threads after the volume stack was implemented that the liquid geometry must be exactly over the glass geometry but If you use subds for your modelling you'll always have errors because of the top of the liquid...at least I always had, and it was very hard to control. So I decided to see how other renderers work. And I tried this technique (http://www.3dtotal.com/team/Tutorials_3/making_of_water_glasses/makign_of_water_glasses01.php) and comparing with photos, the results where quite good.

Thanks for the explanation, I am sure it is going to be so helpfull for every single one of us.

Cheers and keep it going this way, fantastic work!

behestelah
08-25-2011, 01:44 PM
What a collection zardos!
I could not choose to say which one was the best as they are all excellent.
Fine art work.

zardoz
08-25-2011, 05:08 PM
this is the print for the bottle with the zip.

lardbros
08-26-2011, 06:27 AM

GI is always on too.

Great info... thanks for this... it'll get stored in my tricks repository! :D

Svenart
08-27-2011, 12:20 PM
they look all very good to me, well done! And thanks for the infos :)

abdelkarim
08-27-2011, 02:45 PM
wow :D . Great !

zardoz
08-30-2011, 03:51 AM
tx for the comments everyone.

I found a few more

zardoz
08-30-2011, 03:52 AM
anyone wants chocolate?

monovich
08-30-2011, 05:58 PM
Holy moly Zardoz, you are a ninja!

monovich
08-30-2011, 06:04 PM
do you work at a place or are you freelance?

zardoz
08-30-2011, 06:11 PM
freelance and employed