PDA

View Full Version : Problem With Bones Please Help...

daz1761
08-19-2011, 04:27 AM
I am trying to animate a simple bucket and pulley system as covered by William Vaughan on one of the newtek training videos. Sadly he doesn't cover building the bucket and pulley system so i decided to have a go myself as some of the models were slightly simple.

The video link is under Layout and General Animation

http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/24hours_training.php

The system is a bucket and rope that flows through 3 simple cogs, the idea is you create a spline from the bucket upwards and through the 3 cogs then convert the spline to skelegons, export to Layout, convert to bones then use the morph mixer to animate the bucket and rope up and down.

The problem is the rope does not follow the bones through the 3 cogs as it should do, the whole object is just morphing up and down and i don't know what i have done wrong :(

I have attached a picture, the modeler and layout file if needed to make things clearer

Many thanks

p.s i did make sure Bones were turned on and "Use Morphed Positions" On in the Bones Preferences

meshpig
08-19-2011, 04:51 AM
daz1761, package the scene as in File/Package Scene:)

daz1761
08-19-2011, 09:20 AM
daz1761, package the scene as in File/Package Scene:)

Sorry, yes I should of done that originally

I have attached the new file it produced on my desktop, please let me know if i have done it incorrectly ;)

Many thanks

Here is another picture, this time with layer 1 (bucket & rope) & layer 2 (Pulley System) both parented to a null in order for me to rotate it 90d so you can see Layer 1 (Bucket & Rope) totally not follow the bones

I'm also using LW10 (Mac)

meshpig
08-19-2011, 11:43 AM
Sorry, yes I should of done that originally

I have attached the new file it produced on my desktop, please let me know if i have done it incorrectly ;)

Many thanks

daz1761 When you package the scene you'll get a pane where you can assign various paths;

Just create a new folder in the main box and when saved it will have the usual "objects", "images" and "scenes" type dir there.

Then zip the folder:jam:

daz1761
08-19-2011, 11:52 AM
daz1761 When you package the scene you'll get a pane where you can assign various paths;

Just create a new folder in the main box and when saved it will have the usual "objects", "images" and "scenes" type dir there.

Then zip the folder:jam:

Ah I see, thanks for the heads up :)

Fingers crossed its right ;)

meshpig
08-19-2011, 12:25 PM
Yep gotcha but it's about a quarter past 4 am here. Have looked at it breifly.

Um, maybe try giving it more than 60 frames as I notice you have something keyed @ frame 60...

daz1761
08-19-2011, 01:51 PM
Yep gotcha but it's about a quarter past 4 am here. Have looked at it breifly.

Um, maybe try giving it more than 60 frames as I notice you have something keyed @ frame 60...

Thanks mate, much appreciated...

The key frame on 60f is for the morph mixer that takes the rope and pulley from 0 - 100% in order for it to animate up and down, like the video the rope should thread through the pulley system but it refuses too, ive even offered it money to do so :devil:

Cheers, hope im not keeping you up any later ;)

meshpig
08-21-2011, 12:19 AM
OK, I see what the problem is. Before you set the morph in the case of that scene you need to reset all the bone's pitch and bank settings to 0. Works fine:)

meshpig
08-21-2011, 12:40 AM
... yesterday was a bit of a right-off.

daz1761
08-21-2011, 03:49 AM
OK, I see what the problem is. Before you set the morph in the case of that scene you need to reset all the bone's pitch and bank settings to 0. Works fine:)

Excellent ;)

Thank you very much for your time and help :) much appreciated

I know the task in hand was hardly a third year project but its another tutorial ticked off the list that will hopefully contribute in some way :)

I'm off to take advantage of the good weather and go for a cycle so I will have a look and play when I get back in and let you know how I get on.

I did try resetting those parameters originally but it made my bucket and rope change position drastically when i tried to morph it up and down, but being new to LW10 it was probably something I've done wrong :question:

Thanks again!

daz1761
08-21-2011, 04:20 AM
Ah, I think this was were I originally went wrong...

I was resetting the parent bone to 0 as well as everything else in the heading and pitch which was why the bucket and pulley was switching positions drastically when morphed....

I have had a play with my version after looking at the revised version and if I leave the parent heading at 90 its fine as my picture displays

P.s probably a silly question but how do you undo in the scene editor? as I have tried command Z but nothing happens

meshpig
08-21-2011, 04:56 AM
... Auto-key on is about as close as you can get to cmd z undo. Otherwise there's an undo button on the lower right:)