PDA

View Full Version : UV Map Scale

rcallicotte
08-18-2011, 10:32 AM
I imported an object from another program into Lightwave. My limitations were 2048x2048 UV Maps in the other application. Is there a way to scale my UVs to 4096x4096 inside of Lightwave?

nickdigital
08-18-2011, 11:00 AM
The UV space is resolution independent. Just make your texture map bigger. Or am I not understanding your question?

rcallicotte
08-18-2011, 11:20 AM
Nick, I think you're understanding the question. My experience in LW seems different. Here is what I mean -

I exported an EPS file from my what I thought was my 2048x2048 UV (obviously mistaken about that bit), but made the texture I created from the EPS file 900X900. It didn't cover the object, when I applied this in the Surface Editor. So I changed the resolution to 2048x2048 and it works perfectly - the uv texture covers my object exactly.

Could this be because I already see a surface in the Surface Editor when I opened it for this object - the surface is what is ruling the texture size? I don't remember creating that surface. Maybe it came over from the other application as a certain size surface?

nickdigital
08-18-2011, 12:04 PM
Well a UV map just exists in 0-1 space. So using a 900x900 or 2048x2048 image map wouldn't necessarily "cover more" of your object. Your image map is still a square canvas, just larger resolution. Are you talking about actual coverage on your model or the clarity of your image map?

Or do you have 900x900 worth of drawing but on a 2048x2048 canvas? Meaning you have a lot of wasted space?

Am I following you or am I completely lost? :stumped:

rcallicotte
08-18-2011, 12:13 PM
Nick, you are. And I don't want to waste your time.

First, I believe you about the UV space being independent of resolution. But, for some reason, when I changed the size of my texture map from 900x900 to 2048x2048, the UV textured covered my object. I know this because I painted one eye green and the other red. :)

The other application was 3D Coat, where I created my UVs. But, because I have the educational version, I could only create 2048 textures. So I'm wondering if that has something to do with some surfacing I brought over from 3D Coat...and I realize I might just need to go over there to ask about 3D Coat.

nickdigital
08-18-2011, 12:28 PM
First, I believe you about the UV space being independent of resolution. But, for some reason, when I changed the size of my texture map from 900x900 to 2048x2048, the UV textured covered my object. I know this because I painted one eye green and the other red. :)

Odd. This goes against how I understand UV's to work. :confused:

I guess if things are working for you don't change what you're doing.

rcallicotte
08-18-2011, 12:47 PM
No, Nick, you're right. The problem is that I saw something else when working with this model and this is why I'm asking.

I'll go over to 3D Coat's forum and see if anyone has some insight. This might be better understood coming from there, since this is where I created the UVs.

Odd. This goes against how I understand UV's to work. :confused:

I guess if things are working for you don't change what you're doing.

nickdigital
08-18-2011, 01:12 PM
I'll go over to 3D Coat's forum and see if anyone has some insight. This might be better understood coming from there, since this is where I created the UVs.

Please post what you find. I'm curious as to what the "answer" is.

WCameron
08-18-2011, 01:40 PM
could it be when you apply the texture to the object the size is locked to 800x800 within the UV space of 2048x2048? In which case in the Surface Editor just hit Automatic Size and it should snap up to fill the entire UV space. I've had that happen sometimes before. I think its one of those tiny bugs that pops up when the system goes looking for an image and cant find it and you select a different one...

- Will.

rcallicotte
08-18-2011, 02:07 PM
Thanks Will. I will check that, too. Thought I did, but I'm open to ideas.

Thanks to you both.

could it be when you apply the texture to the object the size is locked to 800x800 within the UV space of 2048x2048? In which case in the Surface Editor just hit Automatic Size and it should snap up to fill the entire UV space. I've had that happen sometimes before. I think its one of those tiny bugs that pops up when the system goes looking for an image and cant find it and you select a different one...

- Will.

zardoz
08-18-2011, 02:51 PM
like nick said if you have a normalized uvmap (a square map) in any 3d package this uv map will be a 'vector' map shaped like a square. So if you use modelers export eps tool with uv only and import it in photoshop it will popup an option window where you can choose the size of the new document and you can input any value (stick to 128, 256, 512, 1024, 2048, 4096, etc squares for technical reasons).
Unless the uvmap from 3dcoat is not normalized...but it should work anyway.
can you do a print screen of your uv?

rcallicotte
08-18-2011, 03:36 PM
I just enlarged the texture image to 4096x4096 and this worked. Not sure where I went wrong, but it appears to be working now. If I have further curiosities, I'll post here just to better understand. I'm flying low to the ground...